Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > NEW! Technical Info: 4th Gen DRIVETRAIN
NEW! Technical Info: 4th Gen DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of fourth generation (2007.5 and up) 6.7L engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades. For trucks with the 5.9L engine use the appropriate 3rd gen forums.

Old 05-10-2021

Default 2011 Ram with intermittent Turbo/exhaust brake issue

Hi All,

It has been a real long time on this site. Life real busy and that my truck had been finally working great after emission removal. Now at 150k km my turbo is tossing no boost and mechanical failure codes. Basically the exhaust brake is slow and sometimes gets stuck briefly then comes back. It has not failed 100% and if I drive it lightly I can go weeks before a code is made. I have reset to codes 30 or more times and sometimes takes 3 weeks in between then some days twice in a day and is very intermittent.

Truck running H&S tuner with trans tune
Trans stock
35" tires

Looking for opinion on 3 turbos:
1. ATS Aurora Stage 1? - Slightly bigger than stock
2. Fleece Cheetah - ""
3. BD screamer - "" Don't love BD for a few reasons and the fact I am local and they got nothing to offer unless you want them to install it!

Looking to attempt this work myself and leaning towards the ATS.

SOLD 2003 2500 SLT 6spd, 35"procomp Xtreme Mud Terrains 3" leveling kit, 3.73 gears, Smarty, Isspro pillar mount gauges, Power Wagon Flares, Linex, Fass 95/150, South Bend con fe clutch, 90 hp DDP injectors, and a set of Custom PDR TWIN turbos.
Old 05-10-2021

I don't like Auroras, no wastegate.
The stock turbo is a pretty trick piece with the variable turbine actuator, getting a new or rebuilt turbo is my suggestion.
01.5,Red QC Sport SWB,HO,6spd,4x4,cowl hood, Drag Comp,4"ex., fuel press. gauge, boost&pyro gauges, bhaf, single Holley lift pump next to the fuel tank/13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, cheapo fuel cooler, Amsoil in the trans. & Valvoline in the pan, 63-65-.70A/R, ARP studs, kevlar/ceramic SD clutch, jammer 100's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfueljockey View Post
Doc says I'm in pretty good shape for an 83 year old guy.....one of these days I need to tell him I'm 59.

Time to turn so's you don't burn.
Old 05-10-2021

Pretty slim pickings here and been pushed to not go reman due to premature actuator failure. Basically had a choice of the Fleece Cheetah and the ATS aurora 3000 and was advised that the ATS has some nice upgrades from stock. Pulled the pin at $5100 shipped……. Yikes. Never really thought the waste gate would be an issue unless you really hop it up. Hopi g to stick to around 40 ish PSI. I hope I don’t regret it! Thanks for reply but was not patient enough apparently.

Once I have it installed I will give a quick review. Hoping studs are not in my future!

SOLD 2003 2500 SLT 6spd, 35"procomp Xtreme Mud Terrains 3" leveling kit, 3.73 gears, Smarty, Isspro pillar mount gauges, Power Wagon Flares, Linex, Fass 95/150, South Bend con fe clutch, 90 hp DDP injectors, and a set of Custom PDR TWIN turbos.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ

You could always give me a call. Chances are I can beat everyone’s prices being I can do them in house.

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Thanks Max! I was so bent on how little options I had here in BC even with manufacturers close by. I will make sure I keep you in mind. How would that work? You would have sent me a turbo and I would have to ship mine back to you? I wanted to get one on the shelf before mine just quit. Also was not sure with shipping back and forth exchange rate etc , us customs and such and is why I did not look south. I did notice a bunch of option south of the border.

Andrew

Old 4 Weeks Ago
Administrator

I can build you one and send as a gift. Same way I do for CCMckee and Von Trapp. Send you core back whenever.

Give me a shout at work talk about you needs and desires.

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Got the same issue with my 09...
Long as the exhaust brake doesn't engage it's fine, but maybe 20% of the time when it engages it doesn't 'un-engage' when I press the go pedal and if I push it too much it throws a code, "No boost detected, Mechanical failure".
It will eventually turn loose, seems more likely (to turn loose) if I let the truck slow more, like taking more pressure off the exhaust..
MAX, What's your price?
Truck is deleted and tuned to "tow" level and that's pretty much where it is gonna stay.
It's either my daily driver or pulling a 36 ft trailer with up to a 16x40 shed on it.
I knew this wasn't a cheap fix, but had no idea they were $5k!!
H&S mini maxx, something fell off under the truck 270k mi
My Other Truck is a Fire Engine!!

Last edited by smokediver; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:30 AM..
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokediver View Post
Got the same issue with my 09...
Long as the exhaust brake doesn't engage it's fine, but maybe 20% of the time when it engages it doesn't 'un-engage' when I press the go pedal and if I push it too much it throws a code, "No boost detected, Mechanical failure".
It will eventually turn loose, seems more likely (to turn loose) if I let the truck slow more, like taking more pressure off the exhaust..
MAX, What's your price?
Truck is deleted and tuned to "tow" level and that's pretty much where it is gonna stay.
It's either my daily driver or pulling a 36 ft trailer with up to a 16x40 shed on it.
I knew this wasn't a cheap fix, but had no idea they were $5k!!

Chances are just the actuator is bad but won’t know until I see the unit. Not using the exhaust brake feature often is what causes the failure. With the brake off the actuator only moves the vanes from 10 to 12 % to around 80%. With it on the canes move from 2% to around 96%.

Mine are around half that with the 63mm upgrade or 2200 for stock.

The HE 330 are a lot more due to parts availability.

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Thanks again Max. I bit the bullet and bought the upgrade and is shipped. I will pass on your info to any friends that run into trouble.

I could have certainly gone a cheaper route $2500-30000 but opted for a slight upgrade. In my area there has been a lot of complaints of failed rebuilds after 6 month to a year. Some companies won’t sell remains any more do to failure rates. This was from my inquires to various local diesel shops in lower Mainland BC.

Andrew