Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Other Topics > On The Side
On The Side The name says it all. Are you bored? Have a rough day? Cat cough up a hairball? Well come on in and tell us about it! Here you will find discussions on almost everything under the sun. No Religion Or Politics are to be discussed here. PERIOD!

Old 02-25-2011

Default Friday fun reading => Definition of Acceleration

I thought this an interesting read that was worth sharing.

Read this slowly and try to comprehend the amount of force produced in just under 4 seconds! There are no rockets or airplanes built by any government in the world that can accelerate from a standing start as fast as a Top Fuel Dragster or Funny Car!

DEFINITION OF ACCELERATION

One top fuel dragster 500 cubic-inch Hemi engine makes more horsepower than the first 4 rows of stock cars at the Daytona 500.

It takes just 15/100ths of a second for all 6,000+ horsepower of an NHRA Top Fuel dragster engine to reach the rear wheels.

Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 1-1/2 gallons of nitro methane per second; a fully-loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate with 25% less energy being produced.

A stock, Dodge Hemi, V8 engine cannot produce enough power to drive the dragster's supercharger.

With 3,000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition.

Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle. At the stoichiometric (stoichiometry: methodology and technology by which quantities of reactants and products in chemical reactions are determined)
1.7:1 air/fuel mixture of nitro methane, the flame front temperature measures 7,050 deg. F.

Nitro methane burns yellow... The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.

Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After halfway, the engine is dieseling from compression, plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1,400 deg F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow.

If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.

In order to exceed 300 mph in 4.5 seconds, dragsters must accelerate an average of over 4G's. In order to reach 200 mph (well before half-track), the launch acceleration approaches 8G's.

Dragsters reach over 300 miles per hour before you have completed reading this sentence.

Top fuel engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from light to light! Including the burnout, the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under load. The redline is actually quite high at 9,500 rpm.

Assuming all the equipment is paid for, the crew worked for free, and for once NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an estimate $1,000.00 per second.

The current top fuel dragster elapsed time record is 4.428 seconds for the quarter mile (11/12/06, Tony Schumacher, at Pomona , CA ). The top speed record is 336.15 mph as measured over the last 66' of the run

(05/25/05 Tony Schumacher, at Hebron , OH ).

Putting all of this into perspective:

You are driving the average $140,000 Lingenfelter, 'twin-turbo' powered, Corvette Z06. Over a mile up the road, a top fuel dragster is staged and ready to launch down a quarter mile strip as you pass. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the 'Vette hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line and pass the dragster at an honest 200 mph. The 'tree' goes green for both of you at that moment.

The dragster launches and starts after you. You keep your foot down hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums and within 3 seconds, the dragster catches and passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter mile away from where you just passed him. Think about it, from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 mph and not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1,320 foot long race course.

...... and that, my friend, is ACCELERATION!
My other toys: 1991 MB 300D, 1991 350SDL, and 1995 300E. All fully mechanical Diesels. Love them all.
Retired US Army.
Old 02-25-2011

Send a message via ICQ to CaptainCummins Send a message via AIM to CaptainCummins Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainCummins

Thats incredible......
Old 02-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRowsh View Post
Putting all of this into perspective:

You are driving the average $140,000 Lingenfelter, 'twin-turbo' powered, Corvette Z06. Over a mile up the road, a top fuel dragster is staged and ready to launch down a quarter mile strip as you pass. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the 'Vette hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line and pass the dragster at an honest 200 mph. The 'tree' goes green for both of you at that moment.

The dragster launches and starts after you. You keep your foot down hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums and within 3 seconds, the dragster catches and passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter mile away from where you just passed him. Think about it, from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 mph and not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1,320 foot long race course.
Top Gear should do this.
04 2500(555)QC, Short Bed, Deep Molten Metallic, 48RE, Off-Road, S&B Intake, Straight Pipe, FASS, Timbo APPS, KORE HP, DSS, Upgraded Steering Linkage, Thuren HD Swaybar Endlinks, XRF Ball Joints, Big O Big Foot XT 35x12.5x17, Go Industries Big Tex Grille Guard
Old 02-25-2011

Location: suffolk uk/Barril do Alva Portugal as much as possible

Do you mean Top Gear -as in Jeremy Clarkson ?????? Hammond tried to drive a fast car ----I don't think HE would give it a try !!!!!!
How the hell do you shift 1 1/2 gals a second? ! ? ! ? (the local fire dept. ???????)
Those figures are staggering !!!!!
Nigel-----------------------Heavy rain --52 F

2006 CTD 3500 dually 4x4 manual long bed---- NOW SOLD
1998 Lance 11,5 truck camper--- now cannibalised to make a cabin in central Portugal

2002 Niesmann+Bischoff Flair
Old 02-25-2011

I remember when Hammond did that, I don't think he'd want to get into another one....I would put the Stig in the Corvette and a Top Fuel professional driver in the dragster and let them give it a go.
04 2500(555)QC, Short Bed, Deep Molten Metallic, 48RE, Off-Road, S&B Intake, Straight Pipe, FASS, Timbo APPS, KORE HP, DSS, Upgraded Steering Linkage, Thuren HD Swaybar Endlinks, XRF Ball Joints, Big O Big Foot XT 35x12.5x17, Go Industries Big Tex Grille Guard
Old 02-25-2011

Send a message via Yahoo to Gunslinger

Cool right up M.
100Hp injectors, smarty tuner, 4"MBRP, 3 Guage pillar, EGT, Fuel Pressure, Boost, South Bend Clutch Hydraulics
soon to have South Bend Clutch and ARP head studs.

My Chipmunks are on Steroids

I'm trapped in my own masculinity please don't try and help.

Biblical proof the world is against me John 15:19."
Old 02-25-2011
Administrator

I've seen that before, but it's still awesome to read.

You truely can't appreciate those machines until you've actually seen them run.
2000QC,SLT,SB,4x4,Intense Blue,Auto,4.10,DSS,AFE Megacannon PRO GUARD-7,silencer ring MIA,Edge Comp-pump wire untapped,Rip's 4in Fair Shake Exhaust,Isspro EVs fuel,boost,pyro,FASS 95/150, S/S '03 trackbar bracket, Thuren '03 trackbar, HTS Ultimate Duty trans w/ billet input & output, 89% Suncoast convertor, 150HP MAXsticks

'06 Liberty CRD, Inferno Red Crystal Pearlcoat, GDE ECO tune

'12 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, Bright Silver Metallic

'98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
Old 02-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAF View Post
I've seen that before, but it's still awesome to read.

You truely can't appreciate those machines until you've actually seen them run.

Yup,

Made a couple of trips to the Spring Nat's in Columbus a few years ago.. Took the boys the second time.... Had a blast... Your TV doesn't do the noise justice.. I don't even think a surround sound system would either.. Ya gotta be there!
Old 03-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneg8d View Post
Yup,

Made a couple of trips to the Spring Nat's in Columbus a few years ago.. Took the boys the second time.... Had a blast... Your TV doesn't do the noise justice.. I don't even think a surround sound system would either.. Ya gotta be there!
In four seconds you get the impression that you know what it feels like to have your guts nuked in the microwave...
06 D3500 DRW Big Horn QC 2WD, 3.73, G56, BFG Commercial T/As, SuperChips Flashpaq, Cab-high Skaug body, Sparton pneumatics, K&N drop-in, Sirius. Valair dual-disc. 4x4x36 Magnaflow exits ahead of RH duals. LEDs at all ICC positions. Green LED floods at shift console(so you can get yer brew...er, Coke...in the cupholder in the dark...)
96 Grand Marquis GS pillow barge, 59000 miles.
Whiskey for my men, vasectomies for my enemies.