Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > News and Announcements > New Member Introductions and FAQ!
New Member Introductions and FAQ! New Member Forum for saying "Hello!"

Old 01-20-2018

Default hello from Northern MS

Hey all. Just joined the "6 in row, ready to two" club. First diesel I've ever owned so i apologize in advance for any dumb questions and being ignorant.

Truck is an 06 quad cab long box, big horn edition. 4x4 with 193K miles.

Things I've done already:

replace radiator with aftermarket csf from XDP
cold air intake
48re front band adjustment
Still making adjustments to PRND12 gear selector disappearing randomly

Things I'd need to do:
block heater
transmission fluid change
oil change
possibly new brakes or figure out why they squeak so badly even though pads aren't really that worn.
muffler delete
some type of tuner/guages or all in one screen type deal.
trailer brake controller

If there is any other good to know items i'm all ears. I bought it as a daily driver but i've wanted the 5.9 engine for a long time.
Old 01-20-2018

Welcome and congrats on the Cummins!

you might get some head shakes on the band adjustments ... but since it's already done... oh well.

You probably have the block heater - usually just need to add a cord.

If you do a muffler delete, don't throw it away - you may find that the drone just really gets tiring. I bought my 07 already deleted (muffler and cat) - had to put the cat back on for CO emissions, but did both cat and muffler ... it was just too loud (but I'm old, so a lot of things are just TOO LOUD!)

I have the Prodigy P3 controller for my 5th wheel ... very happy with it.

SOLD 97 2500 4x4 ExtCab LB Auto; Isspro gauges (pyro, boost, tranny); 75hp Maxsticks, MaxTrans auto, KDP killed; BD DSS; 3rd gen 17" wheels; GM 1ton rear brake cylinders; Westin step bars; Pakbrake exhaust brake, TS Performance TC Lockup.
Old 01-20-2018
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ

Welcome......

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 01-20-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkainz View Post
Welcome and congrats on the Cummins!

you might get some head shakes on the band adjustments ... but since it's already done... oh well.

You probably have the block heater - usually just need to add a cord.

If you do a muffler delete, don't throw it away - you may find that the drone just really gets tiring. I bought my 07 already deleted (muffler and cat) - had to put the cat back on for CO emissions, but did both cat and muffler ... it was just too loud (but I'm old, so a lot of things are just TOO LOUD!)

I have the Prodigy P3 controller for my 5th wheel ... very happy with it.
What do you mean about head shakes? I thought when they get out of adjustment you are supposed to do that on these transmissions.
Old 01-21-2018

Welcome to the neighborhood, I'm running a Smarty Jr, been happy with it so far. Fleetguard is my filter of choice, made by Cummins in house filter division. I would have added the steering brace first if I was doing over. Congrats on the truck!
'06 2500 Brilliant Black Pearl Thunder Road, QC, 4X4, G56 w/ SBDD, Home Brew in the gearboxes Volant CAI, ATS Arc Flow , Airdog 100, AFE 4" cat back, Smarty JR, Warn lock-outs, drilled and slotted rotors, HBS steering stabilizer, Pacbrake airbags, Bilstiens, RP 15W40 , 2 BIG BALLS (shift knobs) from Geno's, 5th wheel slider, step bars. The next mod is........

'74 Trans Am, someday car.......
'10 Wildwood 356 SRV
'15 Mid-life crisis
'98 Oytota Navalon
Old 01-21-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by litner5_9 View Post
What do you mean about head shakes? I thought when they get out of adjustment you are supposed to do that on these transmissions.
Yeah, I thought so, too. One of our esteemed transmission builders on the site (no longer active here) frowned against it. Maybe someone else will chime in on why Tim discouraged it. You may find some old threads from Tim Holt here talking about it. I know I did the adjustment on my '97 and shortly after, needed a rebuild ... and then another ... and then another ... and then replaced it with my '07 and 6 speed manual.

SOLD 97 2500 4x4 ExtCab LB Auto; Isspro gauges (pyro, boost, tranny); 75hp Maxsticks, MaxTrans auto, KDP killed; BD DSS; 3rd gen 17" wheels; GM 1ton rear brake cylinders; Westin step bars; Pakbrake exhaust brake, TS Performance TC Lockup.
Old 01-21-2018

oh, ditto on Steering brace recommendation above. I had the 3500 front end update done on mine (I think there are pics on the site here?)

Old 01-21-2018

Welcome, and remember the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. You should consider gauges, and twins. My'91 has twins and a 4" straight exhaust, it's not loud at all. Keep us up to date as to what you do. We would love to see your truck.
'91.5 somewhat stock w-250 4x4 5sp Except for the EVIL twin turbos, K&N filter, two small shopping cart dents in right door, Monroe SENAS-TRAC rear shocks. cheap $35 air horns. KDP tabbed. South Bend clutch 13-1.25 Con O. Max stixs, 4" Rip Exhaust,No Muffler, Old Smokey fuel pin. EGR rear disc. Engine breathed on by Max.
My Black Cloud Is Back!...
2012 3500 crew cab Ram 6spd manual, 8' box
I'm just so tired of being tired
Now on facebook
Old 01-21-2018

Welcome neighbor!
East central Ms here & we got a few neighbors to the north in volunteer country.
Pretty good eggs over all.

Your first Cummins you say?
It's over now. You'll never want to be without one again.
I started with one as a temporary for a job.
Still got it and 3 more.

Welcome to the club.
Stock, until...
My Other Truck is a Fire Engine!!
Old 01-21-2018
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by litner5_9 View Post

Every transmission is different and adjusting the second gear band apply or the low reverse normally has a negative impact for the novice that performs it.

Book says tighten to 70 inch lbs then back it out 1 3/4 turns and you done for the second gear band. What it doesn’t say is to check the overall space between the servo and the lever. Which should be in the neighborhood of 3/8ths of an inch. Getting it too tight causes the second gear to drag as third gear wants to come on.

The first gear and reverse band getting it too tight will want to drag as second wants to apply. This adjustment I make when the valvebody is out and pressure check the adjustment at the case.

Long story short just be informed as to what you are doing to avoid an exspensive repair.

www.maxtorqdiesel.com