Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 3rd Generation: DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 3rd Generation: DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of third generation (2003 - 2007) engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 12-23-2017

Default Turn signal lamps

There's several threads about turn signal problems but there's none about the problem I'm having (or anywhere on the internet so far). A couple of weeks ago the LAMP OUT light came on along with all my interior lights when I started my 2005 Dodge. It took me a while to get the interior lights to go out. I had no idea what was going on until I turned on my left turn signal and it flashed real fast with the LAMP OUT flashing off and own. I knew then that the left turn signal light had burned out. I drove a couple of days before I bought new front turn signal lamps (Sylvania) and replaced both the left and right sides. Both sides worked just fine until later that night and both the left and right turn signal started flashing fast along with the LAMP OUT light. I took both head light assemblies out an examined the lamps. The original equipment lamps were Wagner 3157NA. The Sylvania lamps say 3157NA on the package but are stenciled 4157KA on the lamp itself. The Sylvania and Wagner lamps are not the same. The original Wagner 3157NA lamps have 3 wires going to the outer (bulb end) filament and the replacement Sylvania 4157NA lamp only has 2 wires. I guessing that the middle wire is just for extra support for the filament and wouldn't have anything to with the lamps electrical resistance because there are only 4 wires going to the connector. In the telephone industry the extra support wire on the filament is what we called "bridged tap" and it does have an electrical effect. If you have a copper telephone line "bridged tap" is commonly found and it doesn't effect you phone for just talking but to run high speed data the "bridged tap" has to be removed. Thinking I had found the answer I went to my local parts store and found some Wagner 4147NAK lamps which are identical to the original equipment Wagner 3157NA lamps with the extra wire going to the outer filament. Rockauto shows the Wagner 4157NAK lamps to be the original equipment replacement lamps. I confidently installed both the 4157NAK lamps and STILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM! The only thing I've figured out so far is that my turn signals work fine until I turn on the running lights or headlights. I'm wearing out my headlight assemblies removing and reinstalling them. Could I have caused a computer problem or some other damage by driving a few days with the fast turn signals. I'll be forever grateful for any information that will help fix this problem.

1980 CHEVY K20,4WD,TH400,NP205,14 BOLT W/4.10 POSI,ORIGINAL ENGINE BLOCK,NEXT ENGINE WILL BE A CUMMINS.

1968 EL CAMINO MALIBU,ALL ORIG,L79 327, 4SPD,12BOLT W/4.10 POSI.
Old 12-25-2017

Which end turn signal lamps did you replace? And are all the other lamps working correctly?
'06 2500 Brilliant Black Pearl Thunder Road, QC, 4X4, G56 w/ SBDD, Home Brew in the gearboxes Volant CAI, ATS Arc Flow , Airdog 100, AFE 4" cat back, Smarty JR, Warn lock-outs, drilled and slotted rotors, HBS steering stabilizer, Pacbrake airbags, Bilstiens, RP 15W40 , 2 BIG BALLS (shift knobs) from Geno's, 5th wheel slider, step bars. The next mod is........

'74 Trans Am, someday car.......
'10 Wildwood 356 SRV
'15 Mid-life crisis
'98 Oytota Navalon
Old 12-25-2017

Thanks for your reply. I replaced both front turn signal lamps when the left front burned out and tested both before I reinstalled the headlight assemblies. I've replaced both front lamps 3 times since the problem started. All 3 sets of lamps have worked perfectly until I turned on the running lights or the headlights. When one of the rear turn signal lamps burned out years ago I replaced all of those lamps and never had a problem. I must be the only guy in the world that's ever had this problem. I've talked to all Dodge owners I know and one local mechanic but so far none of them have even heard of this problem. The only suggestions I've gotten far are that it must be defective lamps or poor lamp connections. The connections are clean, all three sets of lamps are good according to my digital multimeter, and I did put dielectric grease between the connections.

1980 CHEVY K20,4WD,TH400,NP205,14 BOLT W/4.10 POSI,ORIGINAL ENGINE BLOCK,NEXT ENGINE WILL BE A CUMMINS.

Old 12-26-2017

I can't say that I have ever heard of this particular problem before,,,,,The multifunction switch has an extended warranty on my 06, don't know it is an issue on the 05 year. I have seen corrosion in block connectors and headlight switches do funny things, look at the headlight switch as it is a moving parts and can get warm due to increased resistance. doesn't cost anything but time to inspect it.
'06 2500 Brilliant Black Pearl Thunder Road, QC, 4X4, G56 w/ SBDD, Home Brew in the gearboxes Volant CAI, ATS Arc Flow , Airdog 100, AFE 4" cat back, Smarty JR, Warn lock-outs, drilled and slotted rotors, HBS steering stabilizer, Pacbrake airbags, Bilstiens, RP 15W40 , 2 BIG BALLS (shift knobs) from Geno's, 5th wheel slider, step bars. The next mod is........

'10 Wildwood 356 SRV
'15 Mid-life crisis
'98 Oytota Navalon
Old 12-26-2017

Send a message via ICQ to CaptainCummins Send a message via AIM to CaptainCummins Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainCummins

Does anyone know if the 05 uses the TIPM like some of the newer trucks? I would pull it out (The fuse panel at the left front) and look at the wiring connectors at the rear of it, I suspect you may find some corrosion. Unplug the lights and verify that you have a good ground for each lamp.
Old 12-26-2017

I was told that the 2005 doesn't have a TIPM. I have a shop manual on a disc but can't find it. I think I'll order another one for a late Christmas gift to myself. No corrosion or dirt anywhere, the lamps are bright. All the turn signals till work great but when you turn on the running or head lights they just flash fast. I did clean all the turning lamp conductors anyway and put dielectric grease between them.

Old 12-27-2017
Administrator

You might want to pull the rear lamps and have a look as well, i get the lamp out light every fall during hunting season. The leads on the bulbs themselves turn black and offer up enough resistance to make it look like the lamp is out. I clean them up with a light sanding or pencil eraser, squeeze the connectors in the socket together and add some dielectirc grease and the problem goes away for a year or so.

sold
'96 2500SLT CC LB 2WD, KDP tabbed,100Hp Maxsticks,16* ,3k gsk,afc modded,#8 tst plate,62/70/13 turbo,4" MBRP exhaust,AFE stage III dry filter intake,autometer boost pyro, oil, tran temp,DSS,rebuilt diff & tranny w/billet triple lock TC w/lockup switch,1tn rear cylinders,ride rites on all 4 corners w/on board air,465k km. 330 hp 766 ft/lbs
Old 12-28-2017

The back up lights on my truck had distorted the connector strip, replaced them with LED units and cleaned the connector.....No more issues and twice the lighting. I like it.

'10 Wildwood 356 SRV
'15 Mid-life crisis
'98 Oytota Navalon
Old 01-03-2018

what ccmckee said, bet it's a rear lamp (brake or tail) not making good contact. have better luck on bulbs with glass bases vs. plastic. you can take a thin knife and pry the leads slightly away from the base and they'll make better contact

if you don't have a cracked dash and battle lamp out indicator you're not driving it right lmao!
'03 2500 4x4 6sp SLT QCSB Charcoal, Black check Ranch Hands/running boards, tool box, Nitto 305s, clearance lamps, aFe, Banks 6-gun, High Ram, Exhaust, trans temp, auto meter 3-gauge dash pod, Fast Coolers, 10" sub, and hide-a-way 2.25" ball
Old 01-03-2018

do 05's have a flasher unit? just a guess!!!
2005 SLT 2500 3.73 Automatic, reg cab, spray in liner, stull runnin boards,12 volt winch power to bed, slide out loading ramp 4ft by 8ft.Bone stock silencer now MIA 95 gph fass adjustable pump and straw kit
06 dodge 1/2 ton 2wd gasser 4.7 l auto [replacement for giving the son the ford] went to my mother 2016 1500 5.7hemi 10000 original miles

2014 Cadillac CTS 2.0 turbo