Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1998 - 2002) 24-valve engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 06-07-2017

Default Manual trans wont shift into gear

It`s been a while since I have asked for advice on my truck because I haven`t had any issues ........until this morning . Coming home after going about 4 blocks my truck suddenly wouldn`t shift into 5th gear . Now I had already stopped and started 3 or 4 times with absolutely no problems ! Pulled over and it wouldn`t go into any gear . Finally got it into 2nd and took off but it wouldn`t shift into any gear again . Since I was about a mile from home I slowly limped back to the house . With engine running it is very hard to get it to go into any gear , if at all . Turn engine off and it easily goes through all gears . Start engine and same problem , no gears or sometimes it will go but not easy . To describe how it feels , it feels like bent linkage , but I don`t even know if it even has linkage . This is on my 01 ,2500 4x4 , 5speed manual , cummins engine ,165000 miles . Anyone have any thought or suggestions ? I sure could use some good info instead of the expensive trans/clutch replacement I am fearing might be the fix , so be gentle with me guys .
Old 06-08-2017

I'm just guessing, but when my shifting fork broke in my '91 it did pretty much the same thing.
'91.5 somewhat stock w-250 4x4 5sp Except for the EVIL twin turbos, K&N filter, two small shopping cart dents in right door, Monroe SENAS-TRAC rear shocks. cheap $35 air horns. KDP tabbed. South Bend clutch 13-1.25 Con O. Max stixs, 4" Rip Exhaust,No Muffler, Old Smokey fuel pin. EGR rear disc. Engine breathed on by Max.
My Black Cloud Is Back!...
2012 3500 crew cab Ram 6spd manual, 8' box
I'm just so tired of being tired
Now on facebook
Old 06-08-2017

slave cylinder possibly? do you have good pedal?
'03 2500 4x4 6sp SLT QCSB Charcoal, Black check Ranch Hands/running boards, tool box, Nitto 305s, clearance lamps, aFe, Banks 6-gun, High Ram, Exhaust, trans temp, auto meter 3-gauge dash pod, Fast Coolers, 10" sub, and hide-a-way 2.25" ball
Old 06-08-2017

Yes the pedal is just like always , meaning I haven`t noticed any thing different so I think I have good pedal .

If it was the shifting fork wouldn`t it do it all the time ? Mine shifts smooth if the engine is off .

I`m just grasping at straws here but if the fluid level of the trans was low , could it make it act like this ? If so , how would you check it ? Take the fill plug out and put finger in to see if it had fluid ?

What get me is there was no warning for several blocks with several starts and stops then all the sudden it just wouldn`t go into gear .
Old 06-09-2017

really sounds like a clutch or throw out bearing does it grind when trying to shift with engine running?
2005 SLT 2500 3.73 Automatic, reg cab, spray in liner, stull runnin boards,12 volt winch power to bed, slide out loading ramp 4ft by 8ft.Bone stock silencer now MIA 95 gph fass adjustable pump and straw kit
06 dodge 1/2 ton 2wd gasser 4.7 l auto [replacement for giving the son the ford]
02 lincoln ls for cruisin
Old 06-09-2017

No it doesn`t grind .
Old 06-15-2017

Mine did that when I bent the throwout bearing wishbone.

PROJECT MAX-FREEK
p-pump 24 valve, evil intake manifold, evil cam, evil valvesprings, evil head, evil timing cover, arc-flow, needs a home '41 dodge?
Old 4 Weeks Ago

update :
Clutch replaced , all good , now to work on the death wobble !!!!
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Was anything else replaced or adjusted?
01.5,Red QC Sport SWB,HO,6spd,4x4,cowl hood, Drag Comp,4"ex., fuel press. gauge, boost&pyro gauges, bhaf, single Holley style lift pump next to the fuel tank...13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, cheapo fuel cooler, Amsoil in the trans. & Valvoline in the pan, jammer 100's, 62-65-.70A/R, ARP studs, kevlar/ceramic SD clutch

Time to turn so's you don't burn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar View Post
You learn a lot living with a blond for 34 years. Mostly what not to do.

True love is when she gives you the ham from her egg mcmuffin
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
Was anything else replaced or adjusted?

Flywheel , clutch , pressure plate , throw out bearing , I guess everything . The pilot bearing ( I think ) was actually welded to the flywheel , which is why it was replaced . I don`t know why it all happened . I don`t pull heavy loads or drive it hard and it only had 165000 miles , but actually I guess that`s about the life of the clutch, I don`t know .I`m just happy it shifts good again . When I get the front end taken care of , I will have a almost new truck again . Well I mean after tires and I replace the cracked dash and a couple of other small things .