Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 3rd Generation: DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 3rd Generation: DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of third generation (2003 - 2006) engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 02-16-2011

Default Baldwin oil filter

Have any of you ever used Baldwin oil filter BT7349? I have always used Mopar filters cause I get them for about 14 bucks a filter. I have found a place that sells the Baldwin for 6 bucks.

How do they compare to the Fleetguard or Mopar filter?

Thanks,
Dwight
Old 02-16-2011

I have in the past used them, and have used them on the skidsteers. Good quality filters as we used to sell them at work for all off hi-way equipment.
1991.5 W-250 4" turbo 2 tailpipe exhaust, Eagle alum rims, BFG's, Tweaked pump, Tweaked Turbo,58mm compressor wheel, profiled cover, , 16 cm Ex Housing, Aux fan cooled tranny cooler, Aux engine oil cooler, Headache rack, Alum toolbox, Air bags, Air shocks, Borgeson Steering Shaft, Hi- performance, Hi- strength universal joints throughout, On board Air and guages/controls, BHAF, KDP tabbed, Mag HyTec Double Deep Tranny Pan, Pyro, Boost, Tranny Temp Guages, Minute Mount Fisher Plow.
Old 02-17-2011
Amsoil Sponsor

Not a bad price, if its only costing you $6 out the door. But there is nothing really special about them, In filtration Baldwin is just as good as the Wix, Mopar, Fleetgaurd etc IMO. All have around a 25-30 micron rating. If you want the best filtration and longest lasting oil filter on the market for the Dodge Cummins its the AMSOIL Ea-80 / Donaldson ELF-7349 .

Both these filters have a Absolute filtration rating of 15 micron and are good for 25,000 miles/ 1yr whichever comes first.
herb@syntheticoilspecialties.com
1-888-887-9052

SUPPORT YOUR SITE SPONSOR

Last edited by Herb; 02-17-2011 at 03:01 AM..
Old 02-17-2011

Send a message via ICQ to CaptainCummins Send a message via AIM to CaptainCummins Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainCummins

I've realized in my old age that I could probably run any oil and any filter I can get my hands on, I've got a better chance of my truck being totaled by a dweeb on a cell phone than my engine wearing out...I do run Shell Rotella 5w-40 and Fleetguard Filters though
Old 02-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCummins View Post
I've realized in my old age that I could probably run any oil and any filter I can get my hands on, ........
EXCEPT Fram

I started using Baldwin oil and fuel filters last year.
A little research showed that they filter better than Fleetguard.
A local fleet reportedly switched from Fleetguard to Baldwin and noticed fewer engine rebuilds etcc.

2 '05 2500 4x4,QC's 48RE,3.73,Limited Slip,Plow Prep,Linex,ROKK,Afe 2 & Amsoil fluids (Boss 9'2" V-blades )

#1 SMARTY cr(SW3),TOYO/AT2's 285-70/17E's,Quad Commander,TransGo shift kit,Prodigy,Fold-a-cover,60 gal RDS aux tank,Corsa exhaust,FASS95/95 3 micron,Mag-Hytec DD tran pan,Bilsteins.
Pull a Cameo 5er (8800 lbs empty)

#2 SUPERCHIPS flashpaq,BFG/AT's TA 315-70/17's,& MBRP

Knowledge: Truth apprehended
Understanding: Truth comprehended
Wisdom: Truth applied
Old 02-17-2011

My Brother In-law swears by Baldwin fuel filters, he says they experience more Horsepower with his 600 horse Pete's pulling tankers up mountain roads.
Old 02-17-2011

IIRC the Fleetguard Stratapore oil filters are 25 micron and at one time Baldwin was 30-35 micron range and don't know if they have lowered it to match that of Fleetguard Stratapore.
Old 02-20-2011

Order of precedence for full flow oil filter.

1. Amsoil EaO80 or Donaldson ELF7349. Exact same media used inside.
2. Fleetguard Stratapore LF3894 or LF16035. Exact same filter except one has flutes on the end the other doesn't.
3. Baldwin BT7349
- Vanilla 04 2500 QCSB, 4x4, 48RE w/MagHytec DD, Smarty Jr, HOG 4" Exh, Modded Air Box, Isspro Gauges, Quadzilla RPG w/fuel pressure, DynaTrac front, Coolant By-Pass Filter - B&W Turnoverball w/Companion 5vr hitch