Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1998 - 2002) 24-valve engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 06-03-2010

Default FASS low fuel pressure on initial start.

Hey, Installed a FASS titanium series. After install, pump came on as soon as the key was on, and pressure was there immediately. A few days later, the pump won't start until engine is bumped or fired, and it takes a few seconds(4-6 or so), to get pressure. My EDGE fuel pressure alarm goes off, and pressure is way low(2-3-0 ish) then finally jumps up. Then pressure is good at 17-18, and I have never seen it drop below 16 under any condition. My fuel press. sensor is mounted right on the FASS.

Probably nothing to serious, just that I don't think that's how it should work.

CORY.

'99 sport 3500 with an '02 HO 5.9 and 6 speed, edge juice w/attitude, fass 150, 4" straight pipe.
Old 06-03-2010

Whats strange is even when I bump the starter to engage the pump, it still doesn't build pressure past 2 psi.

'99 sport 3500 with an '02 HO 5.9 and 6 speed, edge juice w/attitude, fass 150, 4" straight pipe.
Old 06-03-2010
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ

The return check ball and spring could holding open. Remove the return fitting at the pump and check for obstruction. This line will be the one that returns fuel back to the filler neck.

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 06-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXTORQ View Post
The return check ball and spring could holding open. Remove the return fitting at the pump and check for obstruction. This line will be the one that returns fuel back to the filler neck.

So if this is the case, is it possible that I'm not actually even getting good fuel pressure at the inj. pump enough though the press. guage on the lift pump reads good?

I know I've heard about the check ball issues on initial prime, but I've had the pump installed for a few weeks now.

it actually happened for a couple days a while back, and then was fine, and just since a couple days ago, its been acting up again.

I will definitely have to look into the check ball, or any obstruction. I don't think it's possible to check the ball and spring without taking the unit off is it?

Thanks,
Cory.

Old 06-03-2010

Well, I went and filled my tank(it had just over a quarter of a tank in it), and my guage jumps to 18 as soon as it fires now.

Still a little strange why a 150gph lift pump would have a hard time pulling fuel.

Is it possible the return line is being exposed and allowing the fuel in the lines to drain back.

Old 06-03-2010
Administrator

Leave the assembly intact . Just remove the 7/8 brass fitting on the return line back to the filler neck . Behind this fitting will be another fitting that is 7/8 and silver in color. Remove This Fitting. Behind it will be a rubber check ball and spring . Note the way that it will come apart and reverse the process after inspection.

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 06-03-2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnoutking-1 View Post
Well, I went and filled my tank(it had just over a quarter of a tank in it), and my guage jumps to 18 as soon as it fires now.

Still a little strange why a 150gph lift pump would have a hard time pulling fuel.

Is it possible the return line is being exposed and allowing the fuel in the lines to drain back.
Where is the feed line attached or does it have the 1/2 draw straw installed ?

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 06-03-2010

Quote:
Where is the feed line attached or does it have the 1/2 draw straw installed ?
I just replaced the clip on end supplied with the kit and new fuel line from the top of tank to FASS lift pump. I still had the lift pump on the engine and not an in tank pump.

Old 06-03-2010

Quote:
Leave the assembly intact . Just remove the 7/8 brass fitting on the return line back to the filler neck . Behind this fitting will be another fitting that is 7/8 and silver in color. Remove This Fitting. Behind it will be a rubber check ball and spring . Note the way that it will come apart and reverse the process after inspection.
I will definitely check this when I get a chance.

Old 06-06-2010

my 99 has done that 2 times, all i did was take out the ball and spring and look at them, the spring had coiled up on the ball a little, pull them apart and, rotate the ball, put them back in, all was good.

both times it was very cold alto.
1999 3500 4WD Quad cab. 4" exhaust, ATS exhaust manifold, draw straw, Suncoast Transmission and converter, BHAF, ring?, DTT noise filter, pillar post gauges, low fuel pres warning lite, remote start, Black paint with chrome and stainless.

4WD record holding PSI D Screwcharged Sand Funnycar

1000 Arctic Cat powered Pro ATV.

**SOLD** 2001 3500 SLT 4WD Air Dog 150 with draw straw. Ring? MBRP 4", Quadzilla NIB not use yet, bone stock and sweet!

03 4WD Black 4 door, 305 HP bone stock