Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 3rd Generation: DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 3rd Generation: DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of third generation (2003 - 2006) engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 04-17-2010

Default How can I fix engine blowby?

I just bought a 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 6spd Cummins with 195k miles on it. The truck seems to be idling good but it does throw white at idle and black smoke at acceleration.

When I remove the oil cap and truck is idling... its throwing puffs of white smoke from the oil cap. The are so much that if you just leave the cap sitting without tighting it will blow off the engine.

Does it mean my engine is shot?

Also when i accelerate hard i hear a pinging noise (sort of noise you hear when you'r truck is running very rough or like if its almost out of gas).

Is there any way to fix engine blow by or even to reduce it? my oil looks OK.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1993 Dodge Ram 250 Cummins 12V 4X4
Old 04-17-2010
Administrator

You might want to check the breather tube and make sure it's not plugged or kinked.

The common rails have had problems with injectors, could be an injector causing it.

You said the oil looks OK. Does it feel thin...like diesel is mixing with it? Is the oil level overfull?
2000QC,SLT,SB,4x4,Intense Blue,Auto,4.10,DSS,AFE Megacannon PRO GUARD-7,silencer ring MIA,Edge Comp-pump wire untapped,Rip's 4in Fair Shake Exhaust,Isspro EVs fuel,boost,pyro,FASS 95/150, S/S '03 trackbar bracket, Thuren '03 trackbar, HTS Ultimate Duty trans w/ billet input & output, 89% Suncoast convertor, 150HP MAXsticks

'06 Liberty CRD, Inferno Red Crystal Pearlcoat, GDE ECO tune

'12 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, Bright Silver Metallic

'98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
Old 04-20-2010

Well, at least one cylinder sounds like it is bad.

You will need to at least pull the head to verify which cylinder is bad. That will determine whether you have to pull the engine and have it machined or an in-frame will work.

More than likely a scuffed piston and cylinder is causing the blow by, or, broken rings on a piston. Either way you have some work to do.