Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: Parts and Accessories
Technical Info: Parts and Accessories Discussion of parts and accessories associated with Dodge Ram Diesels. Discuss products you use, recommend or are looking for for your truck.

Old 02-21-2010

Default Bully Dog

Just wondering I recently purchased BD 40500 programmer and it apppears to be vin locked. Anyone have any info on how to unlock these. Seems the person who sold it no longer has the truck and I cannot get ahold of him. Any help would be great.
Old 02-22-2010

If you can't find the other truck you're SOL. Bullydog will probably unlock it for you but you'll pay.
Old 03-16-2010

Heres my story on Buying four seperate Bully Dog Triple Dogs. The last one is still unfolding.
I bought the first three off line (not all at once), all three owners said they fully uninstalled the BD and 2 of them rechecked it to make sure before shipping. The third one no longer had the vehicle as it was in a accident (I have to take their word for it) and they all said it was uninstalled. I get the first one go to update it it is vin locked, but only with the tire adjustment.
The second one is vin locked, and the third one is vin locked. So I say WTH is going on three seperate BDs from different areas of the country from three different people and they are all vin locked. A call to Bully dog each time tells me to send it in and for $100 US they will install new parts to fix the problem. I ask can we do this online I will pay the $100, nope have to send it in.
Not worth sending them in for the cost of shipping and border charges etc. All three owners were upset and refunded my money.

Now the 4th one. I buy locally, the guy ensures that he has uninstalled the programmer from his truck. I pay for it and go to update it and it is vin locked. So I give him a call, he says there is no way it is vinlocked, he uninstalled it himself. So he comes by to pick it up and take it into one of the shops locally to have them take a look at it. It turns out he had an aftermarket alarm/ remote start installed and he was suppose to have unistalled the BD prior to having the remote/alarm installed so it somehow locked the BD into the ECM. But it told him it was finished returning back to stock. Needless to say it is vinlocked.
He is wating for the final verdict on what is going on. There was no info on the installing the remote starter/alarm about uninstalling the BD.

My thoughts on Bully Dog service, you need a direct Canadian Tech Support Located North of the border, you need to make your product fool proof and bullet proof. You also need to make an online availible service to deal with Customers in real time and be able to use the internet to fix the issues. ( I heard you had this before not sure what happened to it).

I also recommed you look after past, present and future customers. If this BD programmer helps with my milage then I can assure you a few sales from my friends for your PMT monitors/programmers. But after dealing with the hassles of trying to get a few things worked on I will have to think long and hard prior to buying new products from your company.
I fully understand that the product I bought were used, and such should require a service charge to get them fixed, my biggest concern is if I buy new products from you will I have to deal with the same situation. How quick can I expect to wait and how much is it going to cost me to ship and pay to get fixed?

My suggestion to not only BD but all Aftermarket companies is to look after all Customer and provide good service North of the border.
Old 03-16-2010

That's exactely why I got a Smarty. heard lots of problems with B. Dog and even some fried engines!
Old 03-17-2010

Their customer support has been really helpful the few times I called to ask questions. I'd buy something like this new and avoid the chance of buying four used ones that are useless.
Old 03-17-2010

It is funny how they give good support to one person and no so good to another Even the original owners of the BullyDogs are scratching their heads how the programmers they own are vin locked to their old vehicles. When they all set it back to stock.

I think that a programmer such as the BD is only good for so many uplodads and downloads then it seems to wear out have lots of glitches. Also it is not an easy programmer to get to work and fully understand for the average person so it seems.

I am a fan of the Edge Juice With Attitude 5 mins to plug in and hour of pyro, boost install and it goes. I am not a fan of the price for one. But I am a fan for the over simplistic use of it.

My reasoning for buying a used programmer is to keep the cost down. I am trying to find a good combination for getting my fuel milage up. Like I said in my original post, if this thing works and helps with 1 or 2mpg then we will try it on a couple other friends trucks and if it does the same for them then BD will have a few new sales for their product. If not then I am not out of pocket much. But the potential is there for some great easy sales.

Right now my friend is getting close to trying a SMARTY on his truck (he needs to go borrow it), If he likes what he sees with it then we may both go that route. Again neither one of us are looking to spend the big money to find out it does not work for either of us, so the best way is to buy a used unit and or borrow one for a few weeks. Through his company and our friends we have roughly 6 Dodges from 05-08.
One of them already has a DSG programmer on it and he is getting horrible milage with or with it so that one is scratched off the list.

Now the trialing happens. If we like what we see then let the spending begin. We usually put on average 1000km a week + for personalle use not including miles for work. Saving money is the name of the game.

Dealing with issues of a programmer not being easy to use, or customer service issues is not a good way to attract new customers. I have read of more then a few people having problems of turning their trucks back to stock using the BD so it seems this maynot be an issue of guys trying to sell a bummed product but more an issue with the software itself not being as user friendly as it should be.

So be it as it should be. Why pay full price when it might just sit on the shelf.
Old 03-17-2010

I had a small issue with a bully dog GT recently while taking it off one truck and putting it on another. At first it kept saying iniitalizing communication and wasn't giving me the option to change year model trucks. Somehow by luck I got the menu bar to come up and was able to change it. One issue I still haven't resolved is the fog lamps with high beam over-ride. When putting it on my 06 the fog lights won't turn on at all now. The light on the dash works but no fog lights. Maybe I'll call and see if they can help me.
2006 3500 slt quadcab, 4wd drw, 6spd , fass, quadzilla commander, westin nerf bars http://picasaweb.google.com/casey.berry1/UntitledAlbum02/photo#5173049321661994530[/url].