Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 3rd Generation: NON-DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 3rd Generation: NON-DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of third generation (2003 - 2006) non drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades. Please -- DO NOT post drivetrain discussions in this forum!

Old 10-02-2008

Default no start 2003 dodge cummins

have a 2003 dodge cummins will not start cold or hot has no codes lift pump is working just changed injection pump did not make a diff truck will start with starter fluid and run exellent
Old 10-02-2008

Default Re: no start 2003 dodge cummins

Welcome to the site. Oh-boy.....

How do I put this without scaring you....

Just FYI, <span style="color: #CC0000"><u>DO NOT</u></span> use starter fluid at all, or you will do permanent damage to the engine!!! Basically, a Cummins <u>will</u> get addicted to ether/starter fluid if you use it. Not to mention the big warning sticker on the air cleaner. I hope it's not too late.

Again, welcome to the site.
Mods: Custom built GB trans, & T/C | aFe stage II /PG 7 airfilter | aFe Blade Runner Intake Manifold| DSS | HRVP44 | 3rd Gen track bar kit | FASS 150 | Smarty | MagHytec rearend cover | SPS 62/14 turbo | HX40 Downpipe | HTT quickspool exhaust manifold | DDP 110HP sticks | FIrestone airbags | Quadzilla Adrenaline | Magnaflow 4" stainless exh | Leer cap | Bilstien HD shocks | Garmin GPS | Cobra 200 GTL DX CB
Old 10-03-2008

Weclome to the site. Sounds like you are getting some air somewhere in the fuel system. Do you notice any puddles anywhere under the truck? I had an issue where I had a fuel line that had broken, but it didn't leak any fuel out. I had to hand by hand inspect all the lines before I found where one was broken.

**Wrecked**2002 2500 quad cab 4X4 mildly mod'ed
**Sold**1998 2500 quad cab 4X4 not mod'ed
**Sold**2006 2500 quad cab 4X4 mildly mod'ed
**Sold** 1997 2500 4X4 pretty well mod'ed
Old 10-03-2008

Another reason not to use starter fluid is the grid heaters. Think of a heavy duty toaster element, sitting in the airflow, just above the intake manifold. A working grid heater, mixed with starter fluid, and something could literally go "BOOM".

Welcome to the site!

BTW, there's no 'G' in Cummins.
Old 10-03-2008

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chiefforever</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW, there's no 'G' in Cummins. </div></div>

I wondered if anybody else caught that.

I will agree that it sounds like some air in the fuel line(s). I'm not an expert, though.
2006 2500 HD, SLT, Quad Cab, 4x2, CTD, 6 speed, 3.73, Westin nerf bars, Smarty W/ Revo software,Isspro EV2 fuel pressure gauge, Quadzilla Commander,Brite Box W/fog light control and fogzilla's using type 9005 fog lights! I CAN SEE!, Kobalt deep-well toolbox, Garmin GPS, Delta 100 Gallon transfer tank w/ GPI 15 GPM pump. The powertrain is still stock.

Take it easy....If it's that easy, take it twice!!
Old 10-03-2008

hello thank you for the info just bought truck at auction dont know its history. my diesel mechanic has been working on it for a week he is almost stumped. if it is addicted to ether is there anyway to fix it.thanx again
Old 10-10-2008

Sounds like you have a bad injector, (leaking ball seat) if you can get it running w/o starting fluid, as the fellows are correct about the grid heater, check the exhaust manifold temp at each exhaust port, my bet one port will be cold, thats your bad injector. Good luck
Old 10-10-2008
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ

Injector issue IMO.

If fuel pressure is good, the fuel filter is new and the cranking rail pressure is where it should be . Then I would say yes to an injector or 's.

www.maxtorqdiesel.com