Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 3rd Generation: DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 3rd Generation: DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of third generation (2003 - 2006) engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 07-10-2008

Default Won't shift out of Second gear

Its been a while since I posted anything, I just completed a move from ND to PA.

I have an 03 I bought new, it has 66,700 miles on it, and the trans just started malfunctioning.

It won't shift out of second...I've changed the fluid and filter at 32,000...it doesn't get severe use, just pulls my 30ft travel tralier a couple times a year...no bombing, no chips, no exhaust upgrades, plain stock. other than the FASS system. I drive it fairly easy, just haul firewood on weekends etc. I never burn out etc...

I have put a gauge package on it way back when it was new, and the trans never seen temps over 180 to 190, and thats very rare!

Any one have any ideas?? anything would be welcome.
Thank you.
WB03
2003,HO,48RE,3:73,3500,SWB,quadcab4X4,gauges,FASS-2,larger fuel draw tube, fuel tank vent kit. MBRP 4"CoolDuals.
Old 07-10-2008

Default Re: Won't shift out of Second gear

there is a sensor that takes throttle presence into account to make it shift can you run it up to a good speed and let off the throttle and make it go into drive?
2005 SLT 2500 3.73 Automatic, reg cab, spray in liner, stull runnin boards,12 volt winch power to bed, slide out loading ramp 4ft by 8ft.Bone stock silencer now MIA other than that bone stock CUZ IT DOES ALL I WANT IT TO DO
06 dodge 1/2 ton 2wd gasser 4.7 l auto [replacement for giving the son the ford]
02 lincoln ls for cruisin
Old 07-10-2008
alrit

Start with replacing the governor pressure solenoid and transducer on the VB. That is the usual culprit(s).
Old 07-10-2008

Well thanks for the responses, I just saw my truck leave my driveway on the Hook! It's under "warranty"... I hope! I have the 7/70 wrap coverage...? Dodge will have to look at it and see if it's a warranty "item" or "issue"...well see what they say.
Next available appointment is next Tuesday...so the truck is there at least.

pullinforme...yes I could get it to go into drive and OD by running it up to about 75mph,... yesterday, but not today...it just would not shift!

I'll let you all know what the dealer finds...
Thanks
2003,HO,48RE,3:73,3500,SWB,quadcab4X4,gauges,FASS-2,larger fuel draw tube, fuel tank vent kit. MBRP 4"CoolDuals.
Old 07-10-2008

I had a simular problem (195,00 miles on mine). Tim had me replace the Gov. pressure solenoid and sensor. Took 5 Min. Very easy to do, saved me about $2500.00 that the tranny shop I took it to wanted. Parts were about $220.00 from the dealer.
Old 07-15-2008

Well I received word from the dealer today...it seems they found a TSB concerning corrosion in the Trans PCM wiring harness...they cleaned the connections and said quote "it seems to be working"...

anyways well see if I can pick it up tomorrow.

Anyone else with this problem?
WB03
Old 07-15-2008
alrit

Have heard that was an issue on some 03 trucks. What they are telling you is valid, whether or not they fixed it correctly is another story.
Old 07-20-2008

this is nice! A dealer in another state repaired this under warranty by cleaning the terminals of the PCM and then slathering dielectric grease on them.

then one and half years later in another state with another dealer, same problem... they tell me.."oh someone put too much grease on those terminals" thats why it wasn't shifting...

1st was warranty, 2nd time my extended warranty would not cover them cleaning the grease back off...so I had to pay seventy nine bucks to have one dealer remove the grease from another...Did the issus get resolved?? I think not.

seems to me, with a TSB on this issue it should be a free repair...

I asked why didn't you call me first before you removed the grease I could have done that...answer well we had to start somewhere and we knew this is a problem area...

does anyone know how to permantly reapir this? new oring on the plugs maybe?

ok I'm done ranting now, it's been a week without my truck and I had withdrawls
Old 07-20-2008
DieselRam's Tranny Guru

Actually the TSB in question says to replace the PCM and harness on the affected trucks. TSB 08-031-03

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2003/08-031-03.htm
The mods I talk about here is for information purposes only. I experiment on my own vehicles but do not endorse the modifications that I make to my vehicles to be used on others. If you use this info that I talk about, you use it at your own risk and responsibility.

03 Dodge 4X4 quad cab Dually. Two travel trailers, 1 cargo trailer. Lots of ham radios. Call sign N5ZYK Tech class. On 28.300 to 28.500 around 10:00 AM to 2:00PM every sunday.
Old 07-21-2008

Thank you for that info...I'll have it ready if it malfunctions again...something tells it will.

Thanks so much!
WB03