Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 3rd Generation: DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 3rd Generation: DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of third generation (2003 - 2006) engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 04-10-2008
alrit

Default Smarty + Stock 48RE - Line pressure = Problem

Woops! I think I found the shifting problem.

New type of steel. Its wavy to take up extra slack in the stack.

Oh oh! More parts!

I think this would the source of the problem.

IE shaft on the left, stock on the right.

New TC (1700 rpm stall ~ 89% efficiency) to test out that new Opie shaft.

The damage evidently has been ongoing from the looks of the clutch packs. I would say sometime in the last 50k the lack of line pressure and extra power had its way with it, DTT shift enhancer aside. The transmission has been flawless til one day it did not want to shift into drive.

On the positive side, it quit at home and NOT when I was dragging a trailer to North Carolina and back.

Should have it back on the road this weekend to do some tesing and square the tires up again. [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/Evil.gif[/img]
Old 04-10-2008
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ
Default Re: Smarty + Stock 48RE - Line pressure = Problem

Next time break here and we can drink beer and admire the canage.

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 04-10-2008
alrit

LOL! Thanks for the invite. I may have to drive it down there and break the injectors to justify new ones.

I suspect the above may been contributing to mu mileage problems though. [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-11-2008
Administrator

Uh yeah would contribute to it some.

Why an Opie shaft and not a DTT?

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 04-11-2008
Super Moderator

What level do you normally run on the Smarty? Did you start out slow and then creep up slowly?
Old 04-11-2008
alrit

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAXTORQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Uh yeah would contribute to it some.

Why an Opie shaft and not a DTT? </div></div>

I am all about supporting the local businesses and been waiting 6 years for these guys to get enough demand and figure out how to build these transmissions so I trade local when I can.

IE is what Idaho Transmission Warehouse is handling and what they are using in their big $$$ ($7k range, Ouch!!) racing\pulling units. They did me good on prices. [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-11-2008
alrit

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chris Halvorson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What level do you normally run on the Smarty? Did you start out slow and then creep up slowly? </div></div>

90% of the miles were on #3 or lower, mild TQ management. Stock trans did not like anything more than that.

I ran empty periodically on #5 and medium TQ management after the DTT Shift Enhanser testing it but it was borderline on handling the power. All the towing I did was on #3 or lower.

I am not hard on my equipment and always drove knowing the pressures were not up to boosted lanuches and hard throttle roll ons so am rather surprised it was smoked as bad as it was. My experience with the 47RH/RE's was always good and did not think it would affect things this bad. I suspect that screwy TV motor and its programing may have a larger impact than we suspected.

I am crining about dropping the 47RH out of my 92 and rebuilding it. It FEELS loose and its been running around for 3 years holding 300 HP/ 800 TQ at the rear wheels. I think it is going to need a few parts. [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laughing.gif[/img]
Old 04-11-2008
Administrator

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cerberusiam</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAXTORQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Uh yeah would contribute to it some.

Why an Opie shaft and not a DTT? </div></div>

I am all about supporting the local businesses and been waiting 6 years for these guys to get enough demand and figure out how to build these transmissions so I trade local when I can.

IE is what Idaho Transmission Warehouse is handling and what they are using in their big $$$ ($7k range, Ouch!!) racing\pulling units. They did me good on prices. [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] </div></div>

Fair enough.

www.maxtorqdiesel.com