Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen 12 VALVE DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen 12 VALVE DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1994 - 1998) 12-valve engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 01-24-2008

Default 94 dodge transmission cooler lines

Hi, I've been playin heck trying to figure out just what Dodge has done with these tranny cooler lines. [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/Brick.gif[/img]I have a 94 and according to the dealer there was a recall on these and the whole system changed. My truck has rubber lines installed by a previous owner, and I want them replaced with the correct lines. The dealer wants over 300 for the set up, (parts only)I can't buy the orginal line anymore, and its hit and miss with the part stores, nobody can promise anything. Has anyone else been through this? Any suggestions/part numbers? All the metal lines come up too short. I need to replace the lines from the cooler to metal line at the front of the truck. Should have 2 quick connects, I think? Would it be a problem to connect them at the cooler with hose clamps? thats the way they are now. I don't think its right on a pressure line with such a vital fluid, but I'm just looking to avoid problems down the road(like way down the road when i'm far from my shop. Sorry to bring this up, but my chevy would have been 15 bucks and a half hour of time [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif[/img] I guess its the price I pay to have a real truck
94 4x4 automatic, Billet input shaft, twin disc torque converter, BD valve body, Gauges, 4"DP-5" exhaust, kdp kill,TC lock-out switch,Suncoast loc-up control,BHAF, silencer ring gone, DSS, Mag-Hytec front & Rear diff,trans cover, DDP 140 injectors,DDP DV's, ported exhaust manifold,ex. springs, 100 fuel plate, 4k spring kit, CFM+ Intake, O-ringed, arp studs, fuel press gauge, 18" Moto Metel 951, Road Armor bumper, 9500 winch,
1995 2500 4x4 Untouched
Old 01-24-2008

Default Re: 94 dodge transmission cooler lines

I went through the same thing when I installed my ATS tranny. ATS will not warranty any failures if the old style lines are on the truck. I made a call to the local auto parts store and they actually had one of the lines in stock and the other was in within a few days. I may have gotten the other line from Dodge, I am not sure. And yes, they are kinda pricy. If I were you, I would bite the bullet and put the upgraded lines in, I think that they are a larger diameter, and the fittings can flow more fluid. I think of it as a little bit of extra insurance against tranny failure, the cooler they run, the better.
P.S. If you are going to use hose clamps, make darn sure they will never come off!
Old 01-24-2008

I've been using hydraulic hose and clamps on mine for over a year without any problems.
98 12v qc 2500 4x4 dtt valve-body self built auto 4.10 S&B Intake, Steed Speed manifold, gauges, 100hp Maxsticks, tweaked & tuned 911 pump,18*,custom ground plate,4" exhaust,htb2 62/14, pdr cam ,arp studs, 3k gsk

sʇıpǝɹɔ uoqɹɐɔ ʎɯ ʎnq ɐuuɐʍ
Old 01-24-2008
Administrator

Those lines are becoming obsolete and real difficult to find anymore. My tranny guy has resorted to making his own.

sold
'96 2500SLT CC LB 2WD, KDP tabbed,100Hp Maxsticks,16* ,3k gsk,afc modded,#8 tst plate,62/70/13 turbo,4" MBRP exhaust,AFE stage III dry filter intake,autometer boost pyro, oil, tran temp,DSS,rebuilt diff & tranny w/billet triple lock TC w/lockup switch,1tn rear cylinders,ride rites on all 4 corners w/on board air,465k km. 330 hp 766 ft/lbs
Old 01-25-2008

Mine are gonnna be all rubber before long cause the crappy factory lines keep rubbing together and forming leaks. I think I am gonna get some more 1/2" trans cooler line and some 1/2" aluminum fuel line and make my own up with short rubber lines as connectors.
Old 01-25-2008

Lots of folks get by with hydraulic hoses just fine.

The '94 lines came with plastic couplers that were prone to failure. New couplers won't work on the old lines, you have to replace them. List here http://dodgeram.org/tech/transmissio..._couplings.htm

Gasser '94&'95 had a recall to replace the plastic coupler lines with the improved ones. No such luck for the diesels.

'94&'95 had a recall that added a new line with a check ball to keep the tranny from draining back.
Old 01-25-2008

Good info, Being that I have spent some time under this truck in the last couple weeks, I did notice all the clips were metal. Was that the upgrade? Also the new tranny lines I got take the quick connect off the trans and now it screws in. I think that will be better. that line now is so loose I can't beleve it dosn't leak. This isn't my luck.. :-)
94 4x4 automatic, Billet input shaft, twin disc torque converter, BD valve body, Gauges, 4"DP-5" exhaust, kdp kill,TC lock-out switch,Suncoast loc-up control,BHAF, silencer ring gone, DSS, Mag-Hytec front & Rear diff,trans cover, DDP 140 injectors,DDP DV's, ported exhaust manifold,ex. springs, 100 fuel plate, 4k spring kit, CFM+ Intake, O-ringed, arp studs, fuel press gauge, 18" Moto Metel 951, Road Armor bumper, 9500 winch,
1995 2500 4x4 Untouched
Old 01-27-2008

Well I spent all day yesterday chasing parts with no luck. I got my lines routed in the truck, went to screw them in and its all the wrong size. I bought a ton a brass fitting to adapt, but no luck, I'm going to try napa today. This sucks.
1995 2500 4x4 Untouched
Old 01-27-2008

It may not be worth the hassle trying to return it to stock. I just bought the line with the temp port ($275 Canadian), There are two fittings one for the trans which cost $75 and the one to the heat exchanger $8 (3/8" NPT to 37 deg Jic fitting) so for this one line with taxes and 2 litres of oil was $398.

I also just finished getting rid of the plastic line retaining clips and replaced them with JIC fittings, hydraulic hose, And something called a Versaflare they are made by Aeroquip what they are is a flare less compression fitting for high pressure hydraulic systems. No leaks and they are good for 10 removals and installations.I will be getting a new transmission in a couple weeks and did not want to risk a 50 cent part wipeing out the new trans. I will try to get some pictures today
Old 01-28-2008

Well here it is after 3 days of messin around..... To put new lines from cooler at radiator to the trans and Aux cooler here is what you need. go to Napa, get 2 827-5283 these are lines to cooler- from metal line, Get one 730-4980 this adapts the new huge screw in fitting to your 1/4 npt fitting on trans. The one line you can buy at napa- its 65" long and cost 17.00 bucks, the other is from the dealer, its more..don't bother ordering the clps from the dealer. You can't get them , they send the wrong ones. For clips/ straps, I used rubber heater hose wrapped around the line and put two zip ties on each one, spaced about every 12", Solid as a rock, then made a strap at front to hold them tight. All is good and no leaks!!! After all this i'm sure that my trans will fail, why wouldn't it???
1995 2500 4x4 Untouched