Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Other Topics > Other Topics
Other Topics The name says it all. Are you bored? Have a rough day? Cat cough up a hairball? Well come on in and tell us about it! Here you will find discussions on almost everything under the sun. No Religion Or Politics are to be discussed here.

Old 09-03-2007

Default Swamp Buggy 95% Complete, fresh pics

Put the finishing touches to the beast this weekend, heading out to the Glades on Wed morning. Here's what I started with: '73 CJ 5 that's been sitting in a backyard for over 10 years, what I call a "basket case".

Front axle was ruined, the wiring was "antique". But underneath all the ugly she was built.

A short list of the past months work, new bearings, seals, u-joints, wiring head to toe, new front axle, shocks, steering stabilizer, fuel tank, radiator, w pump, elec fan, carb, snorkel, alt, starter and tuneup stuff( points, wires, plugs etc), all fluids changed twice. Basically kept the engine, tranny, transfer case and rear axle.

Here it is...

Snorkel and Little Honkin' Air Filter

Meaty Diff cover, custom front cover being fabbed as I type...

All new wiring, all secured to the frame out of sight, dual batteries and boat style "kill" switch.

Tach w/ oil, w temp and volts all in one, even lights up with the headlights...

Tomorrow I hope to install a brand new set of 37" Boggers on my usual aluminum slotts. Had the rims powder-coated dark grey and the off-set and narrower tires should improve the turning radius as well. And finally a new exhaust system first thing in the morning. Load the trailer to the Cummin's and on the road at 6 am Wed, we'll camp til we run out of ice(3 nights). No phone, no work, just peace and quiet.
1973 CJ 5 Swamp Buggy, 258/4sp, 37" Boggers
Old 09-03-2007

Default Re: Swamp Buggy 95% Complete, fresh pics

That is toooo [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/Evil.gif[/img]

All on B-100 Biodiesel!!!
"Behold, the power of the bean"
Old 09-03-2007

Looks like tons of WET fun.
'91.5 somewhat stock w-250 4x4 5sp Except for the EVIL twin turbos, K&N filter, two small shopping cart dents in right door, Monroe SENAS-TRAC rear shocks. cheap $35 air horns. KDP tabbed. South Bend clutch 13-1.25 Con O. Max stixs, 4" Rip Exhaust,No Muffler, Old Smokey fuel pin. EGR rear disc. Engine breathed on by Max.
My Black Cloud Is Back!...
2012 3500 crew cab Ram 6spd manual, 8' box
I'm just so tired of being tired
Now on facebook
Old 09-03-2007

That's gotta be about the ugliest hunk of way too cool fun I've ever seen!

It's like what Dad used to say about cheese: it's gotta stink to be good!
06 D3500 DRW Big Horn QC 2WD, 3.73, G56, BFG Commercial T/As, SuperChips Flashpaq, Cab-high Skaug body, Sparton pneumatics, K&N drop-in, Sirius. Valair dual-disc. 4x4x36 Magnaflow exits ahead of RH duals. LEDs at all ICC positions. Green LED floods at shift console(so you can get yer brew...er, Coke...in the cupholder in the dark...)
96 Grand Marquis GS pillow barge, 59000 miles.
Whiskey for my men, vasectomies for my enemies.
Old 09-03-2007

I'd love to see that contraption in action. Try to post a video on you tube if ya can.

2006 4WD CTD Auto Jake Brake.
Old 09-03-2007

I had big hopes of pics on its first trip a month ago, but unfortunatly had overheating issues and had to stop every 10 minutes to cool it off, it really killed the mood. I did have water up to the carb(no snorkel), first the exhaust gets quiet, then the fan starts slinging water out the sides, then you hope it starts to climbing again. Being 2WD at the time really ramped up the "pucker" factor. You can bet I'm hitting that hole again, definately a little faster too. Expecting 4-5' water in the big holes, much better prepared now. I will bring the cam-corder for S&Giggles...I couldn't have done it w/o tie-wraps, there must be 300 of them holding it all together.
Old 09-04-2007

MD wish I could have been there. My dad just did some more work on his Swamp Buggy as well. Moved the steering to a centerconsol point and put even bigger tractor tires on. Those boggers are good for Jeeps only IMO in the glades. Need wide viod in the tires for the glades. That bluemareal clay will gum up boggers pretty quick. That's why we went to those roman military tires then now to big tractor tires. They seemed to not gum up as bad from what my dad told me. If you put a seperate switch in for the electric fans you can turn them off when goign through those deep holes down there. That's what I did to my dad's buggy. But he put the fan clutch back on for reliablility issues. When its wet as hell I take the fan clutch off my cj-5 and take out the t-stat. You are right about some off those holes. I ran off in one drowned out the motor and was floating with the current. Was quite funny for my dad, but not for me. There are some big donkey gators down there. So how does the stock cj axles handles to 37's? I only got 35 boggers right now. Just dont want to go to big and start killing axles and u-joints. Hope you get the overheating issues fix so you can go back out. I have an old 2wd buggy with airplane tires and bolt on tires on the rear with a 292 i-6. It does not even have an oil filter?? No place for on at all! but run damn good and lots of low end grunt. I run two batteriees with it and most of the time drown the motor out from deep water and use the start to pull it out enough so I can get it drained and restarted. Man do I miss home!

96 Dodge 2500, 4x4, Auto, new project
Old 09-04-2007

Great to hear from you BC, I'm sure home is missing you. 10-4 on the fan switch, it stopped overheating after the new radiator and aggressive flex fan, but I figure the elec fan should be "overkill" just the way I like it. Didn't get any pics last trip to send you but I'm hoping this trip goes much "cooler". Not sure if the axles and joints can handle the 37's yet but if it breaks I'll throw somethin' bigger under it.

Got the 37's done in time, the offset was perfect and got the full turning radius out of the steering. Glad I didn't waste money on wheel spacers.

Started loading this afternoon.

Got the exhaust finished as well, exits right below the rear light. Hope to get some good pics, maybe a deer...
Old 09-04-2007

[img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laughing.gif[/img] on the LHAF. Looks great, but needs a CTD in there when that motor dies.
Mods: Custom built GB trans, & T/C | aFe stage II /PG 7 airfilter | aFe Blade Runner Intake Manifold| DSS | HRVP44 | 3rd Gen track bar kit | FASS 150 | Smarty | MagHytec rearend cover | SPS 62/14 turbo | HX40 Downpipe | HTT quickspool exhaust manifold | DDP 110HP sticks | FIrestone airbags | Quadzilla Adrenaline | Magnaflow 4" stainless exh | Leer cap | Bilstien HD shocks | Garmin GPS | Cobra 200 GTL DX CB
Old 09-04-2007

that thing looks like its gonna flip!
95 12V 2500 auto ext cab long wheel base, 3rd gen wheels, 6 inch mitres straight piped, schwitzer S300 turbo, 191 DV's, 883 IP breathed on by Max,removed silencer ring,#100 plate, 3k gsk kit, triple pod guages, afc modded out, no timing, 370 marine injectors, twin banks systems, rebuilt tranny all HD and billet, AFE stage II intake, Big Country Grill guard with 8 ton military tow hooks,Line-x bed liner flip out DVD/CD player, lock up switch