Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1998 - 2002) 24-valve engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 06-20-2007

Default Rebuild your own VP44?

Been surfing around on the forums & found a guy who rebuilt his own VP and saved some big bux. Anybody heard of this?
GONE,BUT NOT FORGOTTEN.... 1999 SLT Laramie 2500 CTD. Quad-Cab Lwb, 175K, Auto, 2wd, 3.54s, 4" MBRP exhaust system, FASS HPFP, Westach FP guage, BHAF, Amsoil 15W40 (sigh) now driving an F-150 Supercrew
Old 06-20-2007

Default Re: Rebuild your own VP44?

Not him, but one of our members tried it himself, wasn't successful. Do a search on Rebuilt and see what you get.

I would expect the issue would be getting the replacement parts to do your own rebuild.
Old 06-20-2007

They sell VP44 rebuild kits on eBay all the time. I don't think I would attempt one right now though.
Mods: Custom built GB trans, & T/C | aFe stage II /PG 7 airfilter | aFe Blade Runner Intake Manifold| DSS | HRVP44 | 3rd Gen track bar kit | FASS 150 | Smarty | MagHytec rearend cover | SPS 62/14 turbo | HX40 Downpipe | HTT quickspool exhaust manifold | DDP 110HP sticks | FIrestone airbags | Quadzilla Adrenaline | Magnaflow 4" stainless exh | Leer cap | Bilstien HD shocks | Garmin GPS | Cobra 200 GTL DX CB
Old 06-20-2007

Send a message via ICQ to CaptainCummins Send a message via AIM to CaptainCummins Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainCummins

I believe when you rebuild a VP44, the new Control Module on the pump has to be calibrated to the new pump internals, I thin there is a special piece of equipment for this.
Old 06-20-2007

Who was it tried a rebuild on here a couple of months ago?
Old 06-20-2007

I rebuild cav pumps regular, they are easy, complete gasket kit less than $13.00
02 3500 slt with camper package, 6 speed HO engine,m80 3:54 locker rear end, quad cab, 2 wheel drive, now single wheels on rear on 8" rims, changed to a flat bed, shorted frame 6".
2 5/16 ball hitch and goose hitch mounted on frame under bed with removable ball. bought with damaged rear end, and left side of bed burned from parked truck behind.
Rebuild brakes, new lower front ball joints, tie rod ends,new shocks all corners, adding pusher pump next to tank.

http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w98/saab9k/
Old 06-20-2007
Administrator

Somebody on here did try and rebuild a VP, but it didn't turn out too well. It needs to be calibrated on a test stand.

I believe somebody rebuilt a CP3 pump on the common rail engine. It's a much more simple design than the VP.
2000QC,SLT,SB,4x4,Intense Blue,Auto,4.10,DSS,AFE Megacannon PRO GUARD-7,silencer ring MIA,Edge Comp-pump wire untapped,Rip's 4in Fair Shake Exhaust,Isspro EVs fuel,boost,pyro,FASS 95/150, S/S '03 trackbar bracket, Thuren '03 trackbar, HTS Ultimate Duty trans w/ billet input & output, 89% Suncoast convertor, 150HP MAXsticks

'06 Liberty CRD, Inferno Red Crystal Pearlcoat, GDE ECO tune

'12 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, Bright Silver Metallic

'98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
Old 06-20-2007

The guy I was reading about said his turned out fine and he only had to buy the gasket kit and some special torx sockets. He gave a phone number in Fort Worth, TX, where you can order the parts. Is it OK to paste the guy's message in here or is it forbidden? OR should I paste the URL so you can read it?
GONE,BUT NOT FORGOTTEN.... 1999 SLT Laramie 2500 CTD. Quad-Cab Lwb, 175K, Auto, 2wd, 3.54s, 4" MBRP exhaust system, FASS HPFP, Westach FP guage, BHAF, Amsoil 15W40 (sigh) now driving an F-150 Supercrew
Old 06-20-2007

paste the url
06 RAM 2500 QC SB 4X4, 48re to g56 swap, valair single clutch, EFI live, Cat 2 micron filtration W/ big line kit, fluiddampner, ranch hand front bumper, full thuren suspension w/ king 3.0 shocks, HID lights and fogs, full led lighting front to rear, silver bullet 64 turbo, 5" t back exhaust, pusher intake horn w/ diesle power products billet intake plentum, hurst shifter with pistol grip knob.
Old 06-21-2007
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ

Guys for what it's worth don't bother with trying to rebuild it.

As RAF has stated it takes a test bench to calibrate the pump.

In 95% of the VP failures is due to computor board going out.

www.maxtorqdiesel.com