Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1998 - 2002) 24-valve engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 05-05-2007

Default 2002 cummins in a 99 dodge ram no tach function

hello every one,
I got lucky and bought a truck with a "53" casting and later it grew a 7 inch crack.
I ended up getting a complete used cummins from a place in oregon.
The engine went right in to my 99 dodge and started up easily.
The problem is that I do not have tach function and the engine does not seem to run as strong as the old one probably from no tach signal.
does any one know what it takes to adapt the 2002 ecm and sensors to my 99 or visa versa???
The 99 had a cam and crank speed sensors but the 2002 only has a cam sensor.
The mounting hole for the crank sensor is there but I understand that the 02 crank lacks it's part of the speed sensing system.
I got the engine running with the 02 ecm and then put the 99 ecm back in to get the tach going but the engine will not fire at all with the old computer. one other thing my 99 oil pressure sensor is working intermitently and so I put in a mechanical gauge.
I would like to and may have to have the new sensor working but The 02 sensor has only one terminal while the 99 has three any Ideas on that. thanks for any info you share
jasper2
4.10 gear and limited slip front & rear, 2500 coils up front and overload spring in the rear
fueling plate
Old 05-06-2007

Default Re: 2002 cummins in a 99 dodge ram no tach function

You need to keep the ECM matched to the engine and wiring harness. Swapping pieces will cause random and very unsatisfactory results.

Check a wiring schematic for the '02 and the '99 to track the tach signal wire. Where the harnesses interface may not be getting the correct engine harness wire to the frame harness wire.

Just my 2c worth.
Old 05-07-2007

workhorse,
You have confirmed my suspicions.
I put the 02 ecm back in and the truck starts easily but seems to be shy on power.
thanks for the reply.
Old 05-07-2007

IM STILL LEARNING ALOT ABOUT THESE MOTORS BUT FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND THE 2002 DOESNT HAVE A CRANK POSITION SENSOR BUT THE 99 DOES, THIS MIGHT HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE FACT YOUR TACH IS NOT WORKING
Old 05-11-2007

In case any one is interested in the swap .
this is what I know now.
The dead tach and low power were both caused by lack of an engine speed signal.
So looking over several years of diagrams I found out most of the wiring from 99 to 02 has changed very little except the cam and crank sensors also cruise control.
dodge or cummins has swapped the sensors and the 99 crank sensor connector goes on the 02 cam sensor straight across just plug in.

With that changed the engine runs great and the tach works fine.
NOw my other issue is the oil sensor. all my diagrams show the sensor did not change from a 3 terminals to one until 03 so as far as i can figure I have a cummins upgrade.
From what I have read to use the new sensor the ECM needs a flash to work and also a open pin to connect to on the ECM.
Since I did not get the original 02 engine harness I do not know which ecm pin to connect to .
Has any one here done the sensor upgrade and do you remeber which ECM pin the single wire goes to????? The other item that I have not tried to resolve yet is the cruise control.
The 02 ecm has pin 42 going to the cruise control system and the 99 has none.
I have not tried to use it yet I just assumed the is was broke
Thanks for any info you have and thank to all who replied all ready
jasper2
4.10 gear and limited slip front & rear, 2500 coils up front and overload spring in the rear
fueling plate
Old 05-28-2007

Jasper,

Any news on the transplant. Have you figured out all the connections?