Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen 12 VALVE DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen 12 VALVE DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1994 - 1998) 12-valve engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 05-02-2007

Default afc mods (lots of pics)

I thought I would do a write up on modifying the afc for more rack travel and a smoother fuel curve.
There are a few things you can change/modify easily that limit rack travel (fueling) in the pump via afc. One is the cup washer on the side of the diaphragm near the spring. Another is the shaft part of the afc foot that slides on the round shaft. Next is the smoke screw, this determines pre boost fueling. Last is the starwheel, this determines how fast the fueling comes in according to boost.

First thing to do is to remove the afc from the injection pump.
Next remove 4 screws (1 is a break off screw) to get to the afc diaphragm.
afc diaphragm.

Next remove 10mm nut holding diaphragm on.

Once the diaphragm is off remove the cupped washer on the spring side and replace it with a flat automotive body washer with the same outside diameter and 8mm hole.

Now that part is done, put diaphragm back in and cover back on.
Next modifying the afc foot.
Remove 10mm bolt holding the slide shaft in.

Take a flathead screwdriver and pry out slide shaft.

Remove shaft and afc foot.

Now grind 1/16" to 1/8" off the round part of afc foot that slides on the shaft.

Now that part is done reassemble afc foot and shaft.
That's it for the rack travel mods.
Next is the smoke screw. The smoke screw is located behind a small cover on the diaphragm cover. Remove 2 screws (one break off) pull off cover.

This controls the 0 boost fueling, the further in the screw the more tension it puts on the afc spring, allowing more fuel to come on with no boost.
Smoke screw on inside of cover.

To adjust smoke screw loosen lock nut 10mm, use 3mm allen wrench to adjust smoke screw in or out.
Smoke screw all the way out.

This adjustment can be done at any time, on or off the injection pump.
Last is the starwheel.
Remove plug located on top of afc using 8mm allen wrench.

The best way to adjust the starwheel for proper fueling is to use regulated air. Use an air blow gun with a rubber tip, set pressure on compressor to the psi you want full fuel. I'll use 40 psi as an example.
Insert blow gun into the afc where the boost line comes in.

Adjust starwheel until afc foot travels completely forward with 40 psi of air. The more tension thats on the spring the more psi needed to move the foot forward. Too much tension on the spring will cause the spring to bind up and the foot will not move all the way forward.
With the starwheel adjusted for full fueling at 40 psi the afc foot should barely touch the front of the housing.

At 20 psi the foot should move about half way forward.

And this is with no boost.

Install starwheel plug back on afc.
Now that the afc is complete install on injection pump, adjust afc housing forward or back according to you're tastes.
The smoke screw can also be adjusted at this time too. Just remember to put the small cover back over the smoke screw when the fueling is to your liking.
98 12v qc 2500 4x4 dtt valve-body self built auto 4.10 S&B Intake, Steed Speed manifold, gauges, 100hp Maxsticks, tweaked & tuned 911 pump,18*,custom ground plate,4" exhaust,htb2 62/14, pdr cam ,arp studs, 3k gsk

sʇıpǝɹɔ uoqɹɐɔ ʎɯ ʎnq ɐuuɐʍ
Old 05-02-2007

Default Re: afc mods (lots of pics)

Excellent write up with great pictures. Appreciate the time and effort. Hopefully a admin will see this and put it in the how to section.
95/RC/DRW.O-ringed Head,SS Valve Seats,HX35/BHT3B Twins,Pump Massaged by Jeff Garmon,20* Timing,DDP3's,191DV's,FASS 180gpm@45psi,4kGSK,60# Springs,Banks Twinram,Fluidamper,ATS Pulse Manifold,ARP Studs,Georend Trans -w- Triple TC,Billet Flex Plate,Lots of Powdercoating,To many other bells and whistles.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...Nov09_0003.jpg
Old 05-02-2007

Nicely done!
What does replacing the cup washer with a flat washer do?

Admins - this one needs to go into the HowTo section - with Brownie points! (or maybe a free t-shirt?)
97 2500 4x4 ExtCab LB Auto; Isspro gauges (pyro, boost, tranny); 75hp Maxsticks, MaxTrans auto, KDP killed; BD DSS; 3rd gen 17" wheels; GM 1ton rear brake cylinders; Westin step bars; Extang tonneau cover (snaps and cold SUCK!). Pakbrake exhaust brake, TS Performance TC Lockup.
coming soon: fuel plate (sitting in the box waiting to install), AFC mod, 3K GSK; coming someday: exhaust, turbo (somebody say "evil twins"?)
Old 05-02-2007
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ

Done, very nice job indeed. [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif[/img]

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 05-02-2007

very nice write up--congrats----chris
Old 05-02-2007

Very nice. Good pictures. One small nit pick. I think the smoke screw should be adjusted so that it barely touches the diaphragm so you know where you are before adjusting it on the engine. Also keep notes when you are adjusting the smoke screw and star wheel on the engine so you can keep track of where the adjustments are.

'95 2500 CC auto 4X4,3.54,Combo EGT/boost guage,trans temp guage,custom switch panel,PacBrake,TST #5,Piers 370s, DTT TC/VB,motorhome steps on both sides,Foldacover hard bed cover,Cummins chrome kit
Old 05-02-2007

Joe, i didn't think it was possible but i think you have outdone yourself with this write up. Great job!! Now i have weekend project.
95 Ram 3500 Reg.Cab, 2WD, Banks Turbine hous. with Big Head wastegate, BHAF, Autometer trans,pyro,boost, #8 FuelPlate, 4"Exh, 47RH built w/the best
Old 05-02-2007

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: truxster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Joe, i didn't think it was possible but i think you have outdone yourself with this write up. Great job!! Now i have weekend project.</div></div>

Not my doing. I only added one nit pick comment to the good job by kbbt.

'95 2500 CC auto 4X4,3.54,Combo EGT/boost guage,trans temp guage,custom switch panel,PacBrake,TST #5,Piers 370s, DTT TC/VB,motorhome steps on both sides,Foldacover hard bed cover,Cummins chrome kit
Old 05-02-2007

SORRY KBBT!! I accidently congradulated the wrong person, Good tech. write up and pictures. Joe G. your still a big help.
95 Ram 3500 Reg.Cab, 2WD, Banks Turbine hous. with Big Head wastegate, BHAF, Autometer trans,pyro,boost, #8 FuelPlate, 4"Exh, 47RH built w/the best
Old 05-02-2007

Kbbt, i realize changing the cup washer with a flat 8mm washer will increase the rack travel, but what exactly will i accomplish by additional rack travel; (Maybe smoother/predictable throttle response?) and what would i accomplish by sliding the whole afc housing forward. Thanks Jeff