Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1998 - 2002) 24-valve engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 03-24-2007

Default no power to lift pump

I have a 2001 ram w/ cummins. Truck was running great untill I changed the fuel filter. After I changed it the truck ran for about 10 seconds then died and wouldn't start again. I tried to purge the fuel lines but had no fuel pressure. I called the local cummins shop they said it was the lift pump. It was not! I installed a new lift pump still no fuel. I checked the voltage at the pin connector. NO POWER! I checked all the fuses and relays they were all good. I ran a test wire from the battery to the lift pump and purged the lines and the truck started but the check engine light came on. The DTC was P1689 which is metering oil pump stepping motor circuit malfunction or oil pressure control solenoid circuit malfunction. I called cummins again they said the oil pressure switch could shut down the fuel pump. So I replaced the oil pressure switch. Still no power to lift pump. This fuel fiter change is already upto $400.00
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!
P.S. Already drove the truck about 100 miles with a toggle switch operating the lift pump will this cause more problems.
Old 03-24-2007

Default Re: no power to lift pump

You might have still had air in your lines after the filter change, which is fairly easy to do. Especially if your original pump was not up to par. Did you try to measure the voltage while the motor was cranking [it's not there if the key is only in RUN]? And, since you ran the pump via power direct from the battery, will it now start normally [air now out of lines]? I know this is a dump question, but did you apply power to the lift pump while the pump was still connected to the ECM [blew output transistor in ECM]?

The only problem you might find with the toggle is possibly having starting problems during hot weather. The ECM normally runs the pump at reduced pressure during cranding [about 7 PSI max] for some reason relating to the VP44 high pressure pump. I think that some guys have modified their trucks and haven't reported problems due to higher starting fuel presure. Good luck on your problem, Jerry.

I've had my engine stall after a fuel filter change about 50% of the time. I partially fill the filter canister with clean fuel before installing the new filter, properly tighten the filter cap, BUMP start the motor several times, try to hold my mouth right, etc., and it still happens. I usually just crack open one of my injector lines and crank her for a little bit, and she will start firing on a couple cylinders. Then tighten the line.
2002 [2001.5] 2500 white CCSB 6spd/stock HO, 285 BFG Revo's, Ford clearance lights, BD 2-low kit, Bowers idle kit, MWFI VP44@70K ,VulcanKit/StockPump, J&J Ent. SS sideboards, IssPro FP w/idget light , homemade ign.kill-key out idle-DRL-A/C defeat circuits. Amber turns. VelvetRide shackles. NV241HD, DANA80 3.55.
Old 03-24-2007

i am just a big dummy on this, but if you turn on the key the power to the lift pump is only momentary, there is no power to the lift pump until the engine is running. like JK said bumping the starter will keep the pump runing for about 10-15 seconds. and also if you turn on the key with the lift pump unpluged it will kick out a lift pump circut code.

so if you turn on the key, got out and hook up meter, your time has exspird, the ecm has shut off the pump already

hope this helps, turn off the key for 5 minutes, put on a test lite on the pump hot wire and see if it powers up as soon as you turn on the key for about a 1/2 second, and then bump the starter and see if it powers up for the 10-15 seconds.

or better yet, hook it back up, and see if the pump works as discribed.
1999 3500 4WD Quad cab. 4" exhaust, ATS exhaust manifold, draw straw, Suncoast Transmission and converter, BHAF, ring?, DTT noise filter, pillar post gauges, low fuel pres warning lite, remote start, Black paint with chrome and stainless.

4WD record holding PSI D Screwcharged Sand Funnycar

1000 Arctic Cat powered Pro ATV.

**SOLD** 2001 3500 SLT 4WD Air Dog 150 with draw straw. Ring? MBRP 4", Quadzilla NIB not use yet, bone stock and sweet!

03 4WD Black 4 door, 305 HP bone stock
Old 03-24-2007

did not hook power to pump with it still pluged it, it runs fine with the pump hooked up to a toggle switch, the only problem is sometimes it is hard to start after the engine is at operating temp. also hooked up meter and had my wife bump the starter and then start it while i checked the voltage and there is none.
Old 03-24-2007

over my head, sorry i wish i could help.

someone with more knowledge will come up with something, stand by.

it may have or will have something to do with the code your getting, maybe that will not let the pump power up??

"hard starting", try turning on the toggle switch as soon as it starts up, that is the way mine works, i can watch the gauge and it has no fuel pressure for about 1/2 of a second.
1999 3500 4WD Quad cab. 4" exhaust, ATS exhaust manifold, draw straw, Suncoast Transmission and converter, BHAF, ring?, DTT noise filter, pillar post gauges, low fuel pres warning lite, remote start, Black paint with chrome and stainless.

4WD record holding PSI D Screwcharged Sand Funnycar

1000 Arctic Cat powered Pro ATV.

**SOLD** 2001 3500 SLT 4WD Air Dog 150 with draw straw. Ring? MBRP 4", Quadzilla NIB not use yet, bone stock and sweet!

03 4WD Black 4 door, 305 HP bone stock
Old 03-24-2007

The ECM is mounted to the block right behind the fuel filter, you might check to make sure it's electrical connector is fully pluged in. But I don't see how you could have disturbed it by changing the filter. The ECM has a bunch of inputs that it looks at, but I don't know which ones it might look at to control the power output to the lift pump. Try unhooking both negative battery terminals for 10 minutes, and then hook them back up and see if the ECM will reset itself and start working. But, I'm flying blind here, too. Sorry.
2002 [2001.5] 2500 white CCSB 6spd/stock HO, 285 BFG Revo's, Ford clearance lights, BD 2-low kit, Bowers idle kit, MWFI VP44@70K ,VulcanKit/StockPump, J&J Ent. SS sideboards, IssPro FP w/idget light , homemade ign.kill-key out idle-DRL-A/C defeat circuits. Amber turns. VelvetRide shackles. NV241HD, DANA80 3.55.
Old 03-24-2007

I unhooked the ground cables for 10 minutes still nothing. All the connections on the ECM look good. If I clear the DTC of the computer will this help? If I drive my truck for lets say 1500 miles with the lift pump hooked to a toggle switch will this cause any damage to the injector pump, or anything else?
Old 03-24-2007

The only problem I could see is that hot starting problem.
Old 03-24-2007

you might send a PM to MAXTORQ on this one, diesel-dan might be able to help too, those would be the two people I would ask on this issue.
Old 03-24-2007

I just cut the fuel line from the lift pump to the filter canister and hoooked up a mechanical psi gauge. I had 15 psi engine not running, 13 psi engine ideling, and 11 psi @ wide open throttle does this sound okay.