Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Archived Threads > Archive: Technical Info: 3rd Generation
Archive: Technical Info: 3rd Generation This forum has now been closed to replies and new posts, but can still be searched and read. Please post new threads in one of the new 3rd Gen technical Forums. Archive contains Technical discussions and questions relating to third generation (2003 - 2006) trucks.

Old 01-30-2004

Default 2004 48re transmission shift problems

I am having problems with my 04 48re on the way it shifts. When i'm taking it easy it goes between gears allowing the motor to rev up a little than hits into the next gear. If I am pushing it, it hangs in second gear really draging before it goes into thrid. I had it into my dealer and they said I have a bad valve body. They are going to put another one in next week if they get one in. I guess I should say it has done this from the get go, I have around 3000 miles on it now. Other than this I like the pickup. Has anyone else had or herd of this problem?
Old 01-30-2004
DieselRam's Tranny Guru

Default Re: 2004 48re transmission shift problems

It may a bad valvebody or not calibrated correct from the factory, it can also be a governor pressure sensor not in spec too. The biggest thing that most dealers see is the throttle pressure set too high, usually caused by bent throttle cable bracket on the transmission bent during assembly. That would be the first thing that I would check first would be is the throttle pressure cable tension (sometime refered as the kick down or passing gear cable), there should not be any pull on the cable at idle position and will pull at the slightest throttle action.
The mods I talk about here is for information purposes only. I experiment on my own vehicles but do not endorse the modifications that I make to my vehicles to be used on others. If you use this info that I talk about, you use it at your own risk and responsibility.

03 Dodge 4X4 quad cab Dually. Two travel trailers, 1 cargo trailer. Lots of ham radios. Call sign N5ZYK Tech class. On 28.300 to 28.500 around 10:00 AM to 2:00PM every sunday.
Old 01-31-2004

Tim you are right about the trouble shooting order, all of the things you stated they checked on the first two trips I took it to them, they also replaced what they called a shift solinoid. They then called D-C star line on this last trip. Thats where they come up with the valve body theory.
Thanks
Old 01-31-2004

I have to say I think thats relatively normal for the 48RE. It's a quirky shifter. Most people, at least from about 30-40mph, have reported that if you're taking off very lightly, it will increase in rpm and would seem to need to shift, but won't unless you give it more fuel or let off the pedal. I think it may be the nature of the beast, but not sure if this is your exact problem or not. I will say mine seems to be getting a lot looser/better now that I have about 8900 miles. I was worried I had a problem early on too, it just shifts a little weird.
Old 02-07-2004

I took my pickup back in friday morning so they could put the new valve body in. This still did not fix the problem. The mechanic and the service manager both feel that somthing was damaged when it was built. They are going to take the tranny out and go through it.In the mean time they set me up with a rental, it's a Chevy Colorado. I have always had full size pickups because of the work I use them for. Driving this thing is a culture shock to me. My wife likes the little pint sizer, mabey after another on of the boys goes off to collage we might trade the mini van for a Dakota. In the mean time I hope they get my 04 fixed.
Old 02-08-2004

Tim, could you combine the problems Bill K spoke about and these problems and tell most of us the parts and pieces that need to be replaced on the 48RE. Mine is new, but if it has to be taken out for any minor problem, I would like to take care of all the weak parts that can be replaced. We need to know what to tell the trans mechanic, not all are as swift as you.
Old 02-08-2004
DieselRam's Tranny Guru

While some of us are aware of the weak points of the new trans, as far as I know of there is not any new replacement parts yet. The weak points are minor in nature and can be modified to a point to help but getting a dealer to do the mods will be impossible as they can only do the repairs by the book from DC. As I learn web site building I will illustrate the mods on my web site, be patient Im old and slow.
The mods I talk about here is for information purposes only. I experiment on my own vehicles but do not endorse the modifications that I make to my vehicles to be used on others. If you use this info that I talk about, you use it at your own risk and responsibility.

03 Dodge 4X4 quad cab Dually. Two travel trailers, 1 cargo trailer. Lots of ham radios. Call sign N5ZYK Tech class. On 28.300 to 28.500 around 10:00 AM to 2:00PM every sunday.
Old 02-09-2004

Tim,

Bill K. said that the thrush washer was not getting enough lubrication because of the small hole in the shaft. He also said that the fix was to replace the $6/$7 thrust washer. I don't understand how replacing the same washer would fix the problem. Would you have to enlarge the hole in the shaft for better lubrication, which he didn't mention? Or did he not go far enough with his explanation?

I want to start accumulating the right parts (washer, TC, VB) so it won't be such a budget impact when I need the repair.

Thanks again
Pete
04 Laramie 4x4, 48RE, 3.73, LSD, QC, SB, Multant Red, clearance lights, side SRS, liner, Frontier rear bumper, xfer & gas tank skid plates, Bilstein 5100s, 04.5 rubber charge air flap. 2 meter ham radio/CB radio, Nav One 3000. Vintage 29' Airstream.
Old 02-10-2004

Just an update on my tranny. They pulled it out and took it apart, what they found was the 2nd 4th and low side clutches were bad. The valve body they feel was the orginal problem. They feel it starved the tranny from its proper volume of oil flow and had some affect on the pressure. They have a new tranny on order. I feel the shop has tryed hard. I just wish they had a full size pickup I could be using while they are working on mine.
Old 02-10-2004

Just an update on my tranny. They pulled it out and took it apart, what they found was the 2nd 4th and low side clutches were bad. The valve body they feel was the orginal problem. They feel it starved the tranny from its proper volume of oil flow and had some affect on the pressure. They have a new tranny on order. I feel the shop has tryed hard. I just wish they had a full size pickup I could be using while they are working on mine.