Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 1st Generation
Technical Info: 1st Generation Technical discussion of first generation (1989 - 1993) questions, solutions and upgrades. All 1st generation topics are suitable for this forum.

Old 06-09-2005

Default Re: 1993 cummins won't start HELP!!!!!

".......(hangs head in shame and sends self to corner.....")

Hey don't you dare bud...this is a team sport and we can ALL learn something every day.....I know it sure applies to ME... [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

bob....
Lucas POD's, 3.5" Mandrel bent straight piped,ported exh. manifold,PDR~HX??,47psi,Pump Adj's.(lock collar gone)Star Wheel right at the top/Timed @ 16*,373.4 RWHP,K&N Air,Isspro Pyro (Pre- Turbo),HD Spring Pkg, Rancho 9000's, Rear Swaybar,Dual Front Stabilizer,Borgeson Shaft,
Isspro Pyro,Tach,Tranny Temp,
Auto Meter Boost Ga., 3:54's,
Aftermarket Reclining Buckets w/ctr Drop Down seat/console, Black over Silver,285-75R-16's,American Racing Clear Coat Mags, Amsoil 15W-40/HDM,
12,000 lb.Warn Winch,KC Spots.(80,000mi.). NOT A VENDOR,NOT SPONSORED. I paid for it all. Aerodynamics by "Bricks R' US".
Old 06-17-2005

I just got my truck back from having the injection pump rebuilt and the fuel shut off solinoid replaced. It starts fine now and no grey smoke as I start in the morning until it warms up,

but now each grear shift and hit the throttle and black smoke until the RPM's get going and my milage seems to be less now.

any ideas about this new symptom???
Old 06-26-2005

The pump shop didn't set the pump right as far as turbo-boost. There is an adjustment on the pump that limits fuel (black smoke), until the turbo winds up. Black smoke is simply unburnt fuel. Did you notice before you got the pump rebuilt that there is a slight hesatation until the turbo kicked in? The device limits fuel until the turbo spools up to provide the extra air for additional fuel.
You need to take it back to the pump people and tell them to adjust the pump better.
Old 07-04-2005

I agree, if the pump is under warranty then let the repair shop do the tweaking for you...and..insist on watching them...you're gonna learn from this...
Make mental note of what they tweak so you can do some of this on your own next time.
If there is no "tamper paint" on the bolts/nuts etc then you can get darn good instructions on how to tweak from the guys in the sport/hobby.
Just post/PM/or email, I'll be glad to help any way I can..

bob....
Lucas POD's, 3.5" Mandrel bent straight piped,ported exh. manifold,PDR~HX??,47psi,Pump Adj's.(lock collar gone)Star Wheel right at the top/Timed @ 16*,373.4 RWHP,K&N Air,Isspro Pyro (Pre- Turbo),HD Spring Pkg, Rancho 9000's, Rear Swaybar,Dual Front Stabilizer,Borgeson Shaft,
Isspro Pyro,Tach,Tranny Temp,
Auto Meter Boost Ga., 3:54's,
Aftermarket Reclining Buckets w/ctr Drop Down seat/console, Black over Silver,285-75R-16's,American Racing Clear Coat Mags, Amsoil 15W-40/HDM,
12,000 lb.Warn Winch,KC Spots.(80,000mi.). NOT A VENDOR,NOT SPONSORED. I paid for it all. Aerodynamics by "Bricks R' US".