Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen 12 VALVE DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen 12 VALVE DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1994 - 1998) 12-valve engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 02-15-2006

Default 12 Valve Adjustment Procedure

I just got my 98 3500 SLT 2WD Dually 12v 5.9 Quad Cab. Sounds like it's ready for a valve adjustment to me. I've got the specs on the gaps but don't have the sequence for checking them. If you've got 'er figgered out I won't mind gettin my ear bent.
Old 02-16-2006

Send a message via AIM to ScottRacing Send a message via Yahoo to ScottRacing
Default Re: 12 Valve Adjustment Procedure

the way i do all my customers vehicles, and the truck, is....

rotate the motor in normal rotation, while watching the rockers, if the intake valve is "closing" wait till it is about half closed, adjust the exhaust valve, when the exhaust valve starts to open, adjust the intake valve. doing it this way ensures that the lifter is on the base part of the lobe.

as far as how many and which one's you're going to be able to adjust at one point in the engine rotation, i wouldn't know, i just do one cylinder at a time, lil more work, but easier to keep track of which ones you've done and haven't done.

'94 Z28 11.1@ 128mph, 383 stroker, stock ported heads/intake, solid roller cam, 9" rear, 4.56s, stockish 6spd, all kinds of suspension, 8pt cage, still need to try the nitrous out! all work done by ME.
Old 02-16-2006

I did mine similiar to what Scott says. Don't get confused by the lengthy process in the manuals of the engine timing pin, barring tools and TDC of number one. Turn the motor with a ratchet on the alternator, and remember you just have to make sure the lifter is off the cam lobe when gapping which gives you a wide margin.

good luck
Old 02-16-2006
Administrator

The overlap method is the easiest one to use.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page, has the procedure there. Doesn't matter if you start with either #1 or #6 cylinder. Mark your damper for a reference point for when you turn it 360*.

http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/val.../12_valve.html
2000QC,SLT,SB,4x4,Intense Blue,Auto,4.10,DSS,AFE Megacannon PRO GUARD-7,silencer ring MIA,Edge Comp-pump wire untapped,Rip's 4in Fair Shake Exhaust,Isspro EVs fuel,boost,pyro,FASS 95/150, S/S '03 trackbar bracket, Thuren '03 trackbar, HTS Ultimate Duty trans w/ billet input & output, 89% Suncoast convertor, 150HP MAXsticks

'06 Liberty CRD, Inferno Red Crystal Pearlcoat, GDE ECO tune

'12 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, Bright Silver Metallic

'98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
Old 02-16-2006

I gotta tell ya, being the skeptic that I am, I looked through several different forums seeing dollar signs before details then I happened across this one. I'm not necessarily a tightwad either I just don't see putting a monitary value to friendship. You folks have a wonderful thing goin on here and it's a testament to how we take pride in ownership of our trucks whether they be a our bread & butter, to work and back, for a holiday getaway towin a 5er, or just to criuse down main on the weekend sittin 30 feet in the air lookin down at the flatlanders. Thanks for the replies and I'll get back to ya for a follow-up on how many bandaids it took to "Git-R-Dun"!
Old 02-16-2006

What is the reccommended interval for valve lash adjustment?

Rob
Old 02-16-2006

Well I adjust mine about once a year.....IIRC you should do it as often as you change auto trans fluid.....about every 24K or every 3rd or 4th oil change.
Old 02-16-2006

anyone notice a big difference in performance when they do this? i dont know when the last time mine was done.

SOLD-1996 2500, 4x4, NV4500 SB clutch, Reg Cab; 4" turbo back w/ 6" tip, phat shaft 62 turbo, DDP 75hp injectors, #8 plate, timing at 15.5*, BHAF
Old 02-16-2006

Depends how far they are out. Only 1/2 of mine needed tweaking last time and no noticeable difference in performance, only satisfaction knowing they were set for anouther year.