Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1998 - 2002) 24-valve engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 04-26-2004

Default White Smoke No power?

Hello all...I am new to this forum and have really appreciated all of your threads. It has been really helpful knowing what to look for when problems arise with my truck.

I am in need of some expertise in diagnosing a problem I am having. I have been through so many threads from this site and also turbodieselregister and have not com across anyone with this problem. Although it seems to be leading to the common lift pump conclusion.

I start my truck in the morning and it idles fine but when I start off it has no power and just blows white smoke out the pipe. I can turn the truck off and then restart it and everything seems to be fine, no more white smoke and normal power. It does tend to have a lag in power once in awhile but most of the time its fine. I head off at lunch from work and it does it again, and sometimes the fuel gauge is showing empty when I know its full. I proceed to do the restart thing again and all is fine after one or two restarts. This is beginning to really irritate me and worry me about a costly repair. The dealers I have spoken to say they have not heard of this problem before, but they can diagnose the problem for a nominal fee...of course...Has anyone a clue to what this could be? The lift pump? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

I have the 2001 2500 5 speed, quadcab, 4.10 gears, slt, 4x4. I love this truck and am a hardcore maintenance person...never let the fuel go down past 1/4 of a tank. Change fuel filters with every oil change...although the last filter a week ago looked pretty nasty...thought I may have gotten some bad fuel....

thanks all!

[img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif[/img]
Old 04-26-2004

Default Re: White Smoke No power?

Almost sounds like an electrical problem if shutting it off and restarting it solves the problem. Does the fuel gauge not working coincide with the loss of power? Do the other gauges work when the fuel gauge doesn't? Check connections to the injector pump, ECM (behind air filter box on firewall). Also wiggle the ignition key when the fuel gauge is not working and see if it comes back to life. You should also check the fuel pressure at the filter and see what it is when the truck is running poorly. Hope this helps.
'99 Dodge 3500 QC 4X4, 5spd w/Fast Coolers & fully splined mainshaft, Microtuner, boost fooler, 4" exhaust, BHAF, egt, boost & fuel pressure gauges, pac brake.55 gallon slip tank w/dash mount pump switch. Little toy quad on the dash.... GOT SAND?SOLD

(New Project)1998 2wd dually 12 valve, auto. Banks stinger kit (woohoo!) under construction SOLD

(New older project) 1996 4wd extended cab dually 280K, 5spd. 4:10 gears. Timing at 15 degrees, 4" straight pipe, BHAF, Glowshift gauges
Old 04-26-2004
Administrator

White smoke is ususally caused by a timing/fuel problem. I would check the lift pump pressure. Would also check the fuel lines between the tank and lift pump.

Strange tho that it works OK after another start-up. If you're going to check any of the electrical connections,check for any moisture. I would also look at the grounds,seen a lot of wierd stuff happen cause of a bad ground.
2000QC,SLT,SB,4x4,Intense Blue,Auto,4.10,DSS,AFE Megacannon PRO GUARD-7,silencer ring MIA,Edge Comp-pump wire untapped,Rip's 4in Fair Shake Exhaust,Isspro EVs fuel,boost,pyro,FASS 95/150, S/S '03 trackbar bracket, Thuren '03 trackbar, HTS Ultimate Duty trans w/ billet input & output, 89% Suncoast convertor, 150HP MAXsticks

'06 Liberty CRD, Inferno Red Crystal Pearlcoat, GDE ECO tune

'12 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, Bright Silver Metallic

'98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
Old 04-27-2004

Those are some great ideas!...I never would have thought to check the electrical connections, but that makes sense. I will do that after work tonight and see if it a problem. The fuel gauge problem has only happened twice but yes it was during one of the power loss instances.

I really do appreciate your expertise and your willingness to offer me some advise. I will do some checking on a few items tonight and keep you posted...

Jim
Old 04-28-2004

check your connections and amp draw of your intake heater system-if it fails to heat at start, white smoke(and I would guess power loss) would result-they draw a lot of power, enough to make you think your charging system is dead on a cold start. I agree with the post on the ignition switch-the gauge problem sounds related. Good luck.
Old 05-04-2004

bullwinkle,

I appreciate the info, I will check that as well, these diesels are new to me and am enjoying this learning process I am going through...Kinda sucks it never happens at a convenient time...I also just ordered a new Lift Pump, so i will be changing that out this weekend. I will check the heater system when i change out the lift pump...as always you guys as a whole are one great group of guys...

thanks all... [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-06-2004

Hello Guys...thought I would give an update...I tried all of your great suggestions...checked all grounding points in fuel system and a few others...even took some off and cleaned the areas up that to make sure contact was good, and still have the problems. I ordered a new Lift pump and am waiting for it to arrive...but before I replace it I am taking to the dealer tonight. Came accross a few threads that spoke about how to find the error codes. Ran out to my truck here at work and did the procedure for finding the error codes...sure nuf' it spit out three codes:

PO0216 = Fuel Injection Pump Timing Failure
(VP44 going bad)

PO1693 = DTC Detected In ECM or PCM (No Idea
what this means)

PO0460 = Fuel Level Unit No Change Over Miles
(This has to do with my fuel gauge
goofing up)

It was recommended that to verify these codes were legit' to disconnect the positive battery cables and grond them to the frame and this will clear the codes...did it and it cleared the codes...also the memory for the stations on the radio and clock...Restarted the truck...had the smoke problem...restarted it twice and it worked fine...surged a bit while driving but seemed mostly normal. Pulled back into work and rechecked the codes and they were all back. From others threads I read who had the same codes, they ended up having a bad Injector Pump which is covered under warrenty...I am taking mine in tonight and gave the service manager a heads up on what I have learned, and he is going to fit me in Tomorrow...I guess I will see what happens from here...With only 65k on the truck should be no problem...one hopes!...

Thanks for all your input, and figure I will post updates just in case others run into the same problem....
Old 05-12-2004

I just got my truck back from the dealer last night, and they had to replace the Injection Pump, not the Lift pump...this kinda confuses me but they are the experts...the mechanic that did the repairs really seemed to know what he was talking about. He was nice enough to talk with me for about an hour when I went to pick it up. He said he has a full series of tests he must perform before he can get the approval from DC to replace these fuel system parts under warranty. DC is making hard for these parts to be replcaced under warranty and has them jumping through hoops to verify which parts are going bad. He said all the pressure tests for the lift pump showed that that is working fine and 1 tp 2 PSI better than the spec's say it should, but the injection pump failed right away. The thing that disturbes me is that they replaced it with a remanufactured injection pump since new ones are just about impossible to get. I guess it fine though...I am going to buy a fuel pressure gauge and keep an eye on it anyway...plus I bought a lift pump last week and will just keep it on the shelf till I guess I need it...
Old 05-12-2004
Administrator

Glad to hear you got it straightened out,especially under warranty. The P0216 code usually means a bad VP pump.
2000QC,SLT,SB,4x4,Intense Blue,Auto,4.10,DSS,AFE Megacannon PRO GUARD-7,silencer ring MIA,Edge Comp-pump wire untapped,Rip's 4in Fair Shake Exhaust,Isspro EVs fuel,boost,pyro,FASS 95/150, S/S '03 trackbar bracket, Thuren '03 trackbar, HTS Ultimate Duty trans w/ billet input & output, 89% Suncoast convertor, 150HP MAXsticks

'06 Liberty CRD, Inferno Red Crystal Pearlcoat, GDE ECO tune

'12 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, Bright Silver Metallic

'98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
Old 05-13-2004

Thanks RAF...Runnin good now...