Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen NON-DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen NON-DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1994 - 2002) questions, solutions and upgrades. Please -- DO NOT post drivetrain discussions in this forum.

Old 07-26-2004

Default Bad or Weak Injector Pump signs

Hi,

Are there signs for a bad or weak injector pump?

I know bad mileage is one, but are there others?

Also, I'm considering have Dodge do "certified" tests to see if it's bad enough to be covered under warranty, which for me runs out in August.

I don't think mine is bad, but I'd like to be sure before my warranty runs out--just in case.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-26-2004

Default Re: Bad or Weak Injector Pump signs

FirstDiesel – Having gone thru this 10 days ago.

1) Hook up to the diagnostic code puller at the dealer. The P 0216 & other codes will not cause the check engine light to come on.

2) Some guys have complained of low power, this was not my case.

3) Mine would not start when the engine was hot. This was my clue. However after installing the rebuilt pump my MPG is up by 2 mpg (and the engine sounds better at the higher rpm’s) my “old” pump was having problems since I bought it in March.

4) The shop where I bought my VP44 & LP had another ’99 in for VP44 replacement that would not start unless you disconnected the LP pigtail from the wiring harness (go figure).

Get a fuel pressure gauge and be sure it provides 13+psi every time the starter is bumped. This will help keep the VP44 happy.

My .02 T
'99 2500 QC LB 4wd 5 spd, 3.55LS, DSS, Westach FP gauge, boost gauge, sport pkg (white), BFG 285's (installed LP & VP44 at 105K, 2nd LP at 147K, 3rd LP at 160K (Moved LP Carter 4601 to frame rail by the tank), 2nd Carter 4601 at 208K, twin pumps), 2nd injector pump at 229K
Old 07-27-2004

Default Re: Bad or Weak Injector Pump signs

Great info, thanks!

It sounds as though if the injector pump is going bad, there's a definite sign.

The injector pump and transfer pump on my truck are original. The previous owner would tow up to 4 horses with it (I estimate to be about 8000 to 9000 lbs).

I've never had a starting problem, bucking, etc.

My first mod will be to replace the transfer pump with FASS.

Thank you for sharing info.