Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 3rd Generation: DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 3rd Generation: DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of third generation (2003 - 2007) engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 1 Week Ago

Send a message via ICQ to CaptainCummins Send a message via AIM to CaptainCummins Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainCummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmckee View Post
The new injectors use a piezoelectric crystal to be fired electrically and not mechanically,
Cummins B common rail injectors are made by bosch, and use an electric solenoid, not a piezo electric crystal. As far as I know the Cummins ISV in the Nissan Titan is the only Cummins engine using piezo electric injectors. I used to have a good powerpoint presentation that on Common Rail fuel injector failure modes. It showed how excessive debris between 5 and 10 microns can destroy an injector. For reference a human hair diameter is about 50 microns, the human eye cannot see anything below 40 microns.
Old 6 Days Ago

Ok, I get the message. No used motor oil, regardless of how clean. I am guessing that only certain injector cleaners are acceptable. Costco has, hmm, I think it was Chevron injector cleaner. Is it acceptable? How about Power Service Diesel Kleen + cetane booster? I already bought the Diesel Kleen cuz it was on sale. I always calculate my mileage at fill up time. I would be overjoyed to see 28 on the truck computer mileage, best so far was 21 for a short time and by the time I filled, it was down to 17 that calculated out to 14 -15. Sure miss the 20's of the second gen. Toying with the thought of doing a free wheeling conversion to the front hubs. Ads say a gain in mileage but the forum says not so. Any way, I would get rid of the unibearing setup and have low in 4wd without the front wheels crying for relief. Comes in real handy when parking the travel trailer, nice and slow and easy. Will have to know more about the twin turbos and the programer. Really not interested anymore umph, just mileage. Gauges needed? to do any of the electronic tuning stuff? Had Dave Goerend do my 97 47re. What a sweet transmission. Never missed a beat. But now he is only selling parts and pieces. Back in 2005 I got to be in his shop all day and watch the tech do the rebuild and he personally showed me the modifications that they do to the throttle body. Should have taken pictures. Farm all the work out now. Any enlightenment on the twin turbos and programmers would be appreciated. Thanks JH
Old 5 Days Ago

I use nothing but Stanadyne in my 91, and also in my Case skidsteers which also have the 4cyl Cummins. They all run smoother, quiter, start easy. We all use it at work in our personal trucks, cars, company trucks, no matter what make of diesel engine.
Old 5 Days Ago

From personal experience the free spin kit will give you a somewhat lighter feel to the steering, it will give you serviceable bearings and 2 low for parking the camper. It will not give you any increase you can see in fuel economy. Like you, I feel your mileage should be better. Good luck with the truck and keep us posted.
'06 2500 Metallic Black Thunder Road, QC, 4X4, G56 w/ SBDD, Home Brew in the gearboxes Volant CAI, ATS Arc Flow , Airdog 100, AFE 4" cat back, Smarty JR, Warn lock-outs, drilled and slotted rotors, HBS steering stabilizer, Pacbrake airbags, Bilstiens, RP 15W40 , 2 BIG BALLS (shift knobs) from Geno's, 5th wheel slider, step bars. The next mod is........

'74 Trans Am, someday car.......
'10 Wildwood 356 SRV
'15 Mid-life crisis
'98 Oytota Navalon