Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1998 - 2002) 24-valve engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Default I think it's found

I was asking the wrong question. Searching "remove Dana 60 roll pin" turned up several sets of instructions. Apparently the roll pin hole is not blind and it can be knocked out from the back side. Also, a tapered punch can go down into the roll pin forcing it out a and making it difficult to remove. Working down low in the gravel I missed it.

It's raining so I'll know more tomorrow.

By the way, the roll pin holds the "cross pin" in.

Here are some cheap punches. https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-t...-roll-pin.html
Here's a vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pLezm9BxiU
2000 Quad Cab,Longbed, NV4500, 410 Gears, 4X4, ISSPro gauges, Thuren 3rd Gen Trackbar (beautiful), AGR Steering Box - box works - NOPE, spoke too soon. Never AGR again. 2 dumped fluid & lost brakes & steering, 4th is too loose. AGR = pp quality control & long wait for replacement (doing something different. Will update with what works), DSS Steering Brace, AirDog 100 = 13# solid, Rusty Doors (POR15 at the bottom for now covered with color match Rustoleum)

Last edited by Junkman; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:41 PM..
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Thought I had it done. Not quite.

I found this which refers to a Dana 60 on an 00 Dodge http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showt...eplacing-seals

and this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pLezm9BxiU

and bought this. https://www.harborfreight.com/5-piec...set-93111.html

I can get a good line with the punch but the roll pin still ain't moving even with the BFH hitting the punch.

Edit: the HF punch set comes apart if you get it stuck in a hole and try to pull it out. When punching it seems OK. At least it hasn't broken into pieces.

I still need to do the tappet cover gasket and fix the PS reservoir leak but don't want the truck further away from being mobile. I'm about ready to put the thing back together and throw a few Ben Franklin tools at it and let someone with a lift and cement floor deal with it.

Ideas?
2000 Quad Cab,Longbed, NV4500, 410 Gears, 4X4, ISSPro gauges, Thuren 3rd Gen Trackbar (beautiful), AGR Steering Box - box works - NOPE, spoke too soon. Never AGR again. 2 dumped fluid & lost brakes & steering, 4th is too loose. AGR = pp quality control & long wait for replacement (doing something different. Will update with what works), DSS Steering Brace, AirDog 100 = 13# solid, Rusty Doors (POR15 at the bottom for now covered with color match Rustoleum)
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Send a message via ICQ to CaptainCummins Send a message via AIM to CaptainCummins Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainCummins

Did you try heating the area around the roll pin. I'm talking propane or mapp gas torch, not oxy acetylene
Old 2 Weeks Ago

May as well change the intake gasket while you're there.
30' Damon Escaper 5'er 12,000#
Old 1 Week Ago

I'm not at the intake gasket. I'm into the front diff. Didn't heat it because there is still oil on the gears to catch fire. Do have a better punch on the way and thinking about it may need to drop down from 1/4" to 3/8 punch to clear the shoulder. A 1/8" punch is too small and gets stuck in the pin. The pin shouldn't be stuck because it sits in gear fluid.

It's raining so I can wait on the punch - happily.