Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 3rd Generation: DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 3rd Generation: DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of third generation (2003 - 2007) engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 3 Weeks Ago

Default Replacing Wheel bearing assemblies

Having to replace wheel bearing assemblies on my 2003 2500. I'm not sure what "brand" to use. Timken, Precision, SKF, etc.?? what brand comes as OEM?
The ones currently on truck are original and I have 227,000 miles on truck.

Thanks in advance
'03 2500 H.O.,Rokk Sensor ,K&N intake, 3.73,Bright White Q.C., 48RE,4x4 , 2" leveling kit, bilstien 5100 shocks, 35/12.50/17 Toyo M/T tires,Reflex sprayed in bedliner, Fold-a-cover bed cover, Bully Dog Power Pup w/Outlook Monitor, Pop-Up Gooseneck hitch, 4" exhaust turbo to tail w/AFE muffler.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Administrator

I've tried both the expensive ones and the cheaper ones, both lasted about as long so i just use the cheaper ones now. If yours are original expect a fight to get them out, a good hub bearing puller will go a long way. When you put the new ones in run a little emery cloth around the hub where the bearing goes and coat both sides with no seize, it makes a huge difference the next time they need to come out ie: u-joint replacement.

sold
'96 2500SLT CC LB 2WD, KDP tabbed,100Hp Maxsticks,16* ,3k gsk,afc modded,#8 tst plate,62/70/13 turbo,4" MBRP exhaust,AFE stage III dry filter intake,autometer boost pyro, oil, tran temp,DSS,rebuilt diff & tranny w/billet triple lock TC w/lockup switch,1tn rear cylinders,ride rites on all 4 corners w/on board air,465k km. 330 hp 766 ft/lbs
Old 3 Weeks Ago

I had a 2X4 but replace my front bearings every 80k to 100k. Tried all the good name brands. None lasted longer than the other. I did the upgrade on my 98 to the manual hubs.. best upgrade ever to that truck. Bearings are now $30 bucks instead of $300. And I have yet to replace the bearings on that truck. I'm acutally amazed yours lasted so long. Maybe the 2X4 is weaker. But I could not get a set to last past 100k on the 04.5 and I got 400k on the truck before it's destruction.
End over end down a canyon.. truck is FUBAR: 2004.5 2500 HO 600 4X2 SLT QC LWB 48RE / 11.5 4.10 Limited Slip / ROKK sensor / FASS 95gph / Boost Fooler / Issapro Gauges / Rebuilt Engine with many mods including ARP studs / Trans rebuilt performace parts including builet shafts.

2018 3500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Long Box / Bone stock for now.

98 2500 4X4 Reg Cab / 5 Speed / Bone stock
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Converted my truck to manual hubs, that and steering box brace should have been first. SKF is the OEM supplier from what I've been told.....good bearings.
'06 2500 Metallic Black Thunder Road, QC, 4X4, G56 w/ SBDD, Home Brew in the gearboxes Volant CAI, ATS Arc Flow , Airdog 100, AFE 4" cat back, Smarty JR, Warn lock-outs, drilled and slotted rotors, HBS steering stabilizer, Pacbrake airbags, Bilstiens, RP 15W40 , 2 BIG BALLS (shift knobs) from Geno's, 5th wheel slider, step bars. The next mod is........

'74 Trans Am, someday car.......
'10 Wildwood 356 SRV
'15 Mid-life crisis
'98 Oytota Navalon
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Replaced both front hubs about 8 months apart on an 06 with cheaper units, at the time Timken (which was my preference) seemed to be out of stock on a lot of different sites (2009-10) time frame. But I did have one issue with the pass side abs light (new wire that came with the assembly, took off 4 times and replaced finally with a stock part on a dually model which was kind of a pain.) Driver side was worse getting off, a lot of PB blaster, a bearing puller and large sledge hammer (on knees and hitting from the back of hub to get off). Sounded a lot like a shot gun and shook the entire truck when it finally broke loose. I wouldn't hesitate to use the cheaper ones again, minus the abs wire issue. If I remember correctly they were about $140 each, and the name brands were around or a little over $300.
2006 3500 slt quadcab, 4wd drw, 6spd , fass, quadzilla commander, westin nerf bars http://picasaweb.google.com/casey.berry1/UntitledAlbum02/photo#5173049321661994530[/url].