Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen 12 VALVE DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen 12 VALVE DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1994 - 1998) 12-valve engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 09-02-2013

Default ABS light and E BRAKE light

I just bought a 98 12 valve for my first diesel truck. Now im trying to sort out a few things the abs light and the ebrake light comes on after a few minuets of driving and stays on the speed odometer was fluctuating also and I read that the speed sensor in the rearend might be the problem with all 3 of these symptoms. So I replaced the speed sensor and now the spedo works fine but I still have the brake and abs light on the brakes seem to work fine ive not had any braking issues just wondering if anyone has any solutions I can try.
Old 09-02-2013
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ

Ok on your truck one of the most common problems is a Vacuum Line that runs from the drivers side to the passengers side that operates the enviromental controls inside the truck IE A/C and Heater. This vac line will fall down on top of the motor and sometimes lay on the exhaust manifold or the turbocharger and melt causing these lights to come on.

Yes I know your next question why? Lets figure out this problm first and I will tell you after we have solved the light issue.

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 09-02-2013

The brake/ABS light will also light if you are pulling a trailer and have a brake light wire on the trailer short and blow the brake light fuse. If you can get the computer scanned you may find it is an easy fix. On my 1996 I can use a test light and probe the OBD II connector and pull the ABS codes. I don't know if that would work on yours.
1996 2500 2wd auto club cab #100 plate 3/4 forward, AFC full forward, timing at 16.5*, Piers upgraded turbo, 15" glasspack muffler. Pyro, Boost, Tranny Temp Gauges 3.54 rears, air bags, 15k 5th wheel hitch for 28' Dutchmen, 16' aluminum boat behind
Now Running Propane!!
Old 09-02-2013

Question wiring

I found the vacuum line and it seems to be ok no holes that I can see it does seem like a odd place for it to be. checked the fuse and it looks good. However I found that a previous owner put a modified flatbed on this truck and messed with the wiring to the lights the backup lights are not connected just wires hanging there also found several wires coming out of the wiring harness that are not connected to anything just bare and some wires for trailer lights connection that are not connected is there a place that I can find a layout of the original wiring with colors and description of what they are and go to.

does the wiring sound like the culprit
Old 09-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt1977 View Post
I found the vacuum line and it seems to be ok no holes that I can see it does seem like a odd place for it to be.
What do you mean "a odd place for it to be"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt1977 View Post
does the wiring sound like the culprit
Possible, but without repairing the wiring you won't know.
1996 2500 2wd auto club cab #100 plate 3/4 forward, AFC full forward, timing at 16.5*, Piers upgraded turbo, 15" glasspack muffler. Pyro, Boost, Tranny Temp Gauges 3.54 rears, air bags, 15k 5th wheel hitch for 28' Dutchmen, 16' aluminum boat behind
Now Running Propane!!
Old 09-02-2013

Default vacuume line

by odd it was just laying across the motor it seemed like it should be connected to the firewall or something. of course it may have been originally
Old 09-02-2013

Oh. Now I understand, but now you know what Max was talking about........
Now Running Propane!!
Old 09-02-2013
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ

The Vacuum line should be attached to the wire harness running across and just below the window valence.

www.maxtorqdiesel.com