Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1998 - 2002) 24-valve engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 10-02-2017

Default Free spin hubs

00 Quad cab,

Any opinions on this?

http://emsoffroad.com/ems-offroad-hu...-08-srw-dodge/

My axles are leaking, I could use ball joints and I'm going to take the truck down do fix everything before it gets cold.

I'm wondering whether the EMS stuff is quality, whether it will really make a difference and work without problem. I'm almost never off road and keep the 4X for when I get off my driveway out in the country. (I used to call my neighbor with his tractor to pull me out about once a year before.)

Also, at 200,000 mi should I do bearings too.
2000 Quad Cab,Longbed, NV4500, 410 Gears, 4X4, ISSPro gauges, Thuren 3rd Gen Trackbar (beautiful), AGR Steering Box - box works - NOPE, spoke too soon. Never AGR again. 2 dumped fluid & lost brakes & steering, 4th is too loose. AGR = pp quality control & long wait for replacement (doing something different. Will update with what works), DSS Steering Brace, AirDog 100 = 13# solid, Rusty Doors (POR15 at the bottom for now covered with color match Rustoleum)
Old 10-02-2017

I don't see any U-joints in the kit....guess you have to buy them somewhere else.
01.5,Red QC Sport SWB,HO,6spd,4x4,cowl hood, Drag Comp,4"ex., fuel press. gauge, boost&pyro gauges, bhaf, single Holley lift pump next to the fuel tank/13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, cheapo fuel cooler, Amsoil in the trans. & Valvoline in the pan, 62-65-.70A/R, ARP studs, kevlar/ceramic SD clutch, 7x.013" Maxstix

Time to turn so's you don't burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar View Post
If you remove the gutters, you won't have to clean them. Problem solved..
True love is when she gives you the ham from her egg mcmuffin
Old 10-03-2017

I sourced my free spin kit from EMS, came with Warn locks....been good so far. Bought the U-joints from NAPA.....you will notice lighter steering.....you will not notice better fuel economy. I installed mine to allow routine maintenance and 2 wheel low operation. Makes parking the camper much easier.
'06 2500 Metallic Black Thunder Road, QC, 4X4, G56 w/ SBDD, Home Brew in the gearboxes Volant CAI, ATS Arc Flow , Airdog 100, AFE 4" cat back, Smarty JR, Warn lock-outs, drilled and slotted rotors, HBS steering stabilizer, Pacbrake airbags, Bilstiens, RP 15W40 , 2 BIG BALLS (shift knobs) from Geno's, 5th wheel slider, step bars. The next mod is........

'74 Trans Am, someday car.......
'10 Wildwood 356 SRV
'15 Mid-life crisis
'98 Oytota Navalon
Old 10-03-2017

I ordered Spicer ball joints, u-joints, axle seals & Energy Suspension control arm bushings today. I want to talk to EMS to make sure that my understanding is correct.

My intent is to do the front end, fix PS pump leak at the reservoir and do the tappet cover gasket. I have a new radio to install just need to decide on an amp. Speakers that I've had around never used will be installed.

Thinking of adding an Adrenaline but haven't checked to make sure that they're still in business.

Thoughts?
2000 Quad Cab,Longbed, NV4500, 410 Gears, 4X4, ISSPro gauges, Thuren 3rd Gen Trackbar (beautiful), AGR Steering Box - box works - NOPE, spoke too soon. Never AGR again. 2 dumped fluid & lost brakes & steering, 4th is too loose. AGR = pp quality control & long wait for replacement (doing something different. Will update with what works), DSS Steering Brace, AirDog 100 = 13# solid, Rusty Doors (POR15 at the bottom for now covered with color match Rustoleum)
Old 10-04-2017

My 70 GMC had lockouts and it was joy to disengage them, put the transfer case in lo-4 and ease around super slow or pull something slow without touching the throttle.
01.5,Red QC Sport SWB,HO,6spd,4x4,cowl hood, Drag Comp,4"ex., fuel press. gauge, boost&pyro gauges, bhaf, single Holley lift pump next to the fuel tank/13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, cheapo fuel cooler, Amsoil in the trans. & Valvoline in the pan, 62-65-.70A/R, ARP studs, kevlar/ceramic SD clutch, 7x.013" Maxstix

Quote:
Old 10-05-2017

Edit: Never mind. Only the rear needs friction modifier and that's only with dino.
synthetic doesn't need any additive.

Do we still need a friction modifier or have there been changes that make it unnecessary?

http://emsoffroad.com/oils-additives/

Last edited by Junkman; 10-05-2017 at 05:21 PM..
Old 10-05-2017

Sounds like a question for Herb.

Quote:
Old 10-27-2017

The diff is drained. The cover is off. Both the left axle and right outer axle are out. I still need to remove the piece (let's call it a nut unless someone knows the correct name) in the CAD that connects the axles to engage 4 wheel and the gears.

That nut won't come out. It gets stuck between the end of the right inner shaft and the wall of the CAD. All of the vids show it coming off the inner shaft and out easily. They also show the gears coming out requiring only a little bump with a pry bar.

The nut almost comes out but it gets caught between the CAD opening and the end of the passenger side inner shaft. The shaft is pushed all of the way in (to the driver) side and there still isn't enough room to get the nut out.

What am I missing? The nut has to come out to remove the shaft and install the seal.
I'm stuck.

See the nut & shaft that I'm referring to at min 4.58.

https://youtu.be/4wWmEWvInyM
Old 10-27-2017

I got one of those center disconnect locking kits so my front end is live all the time. Been doing that kind of thing sense the 80's. It has saved me a lot of wear and tear on the front end from just sitting there doing nothing. I have never lost any fuel mileage or had decelerated tire wear from doing that. And I have done that on 6 trucks to back up that claim. 81 Dodge W250, 79 Chevy LUV, 84 Ford F250 (forgot that one), 83 Dodge Ramcharger, 91 Dodge W250, 92 Dodge W250, and the latest 2001 Dodge 2500.
Old 10-27-2017

That's nice but doesn't help.

Should the gears come out when the axle is still in but slid out as far as possible?