Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 1st Generation
Technical Info: 1st Generation Technical discussion of first generation (1989 - 1993) questions, solutions and upgrades. All 1st generation topics are suitable for this forum.

Old 02-02-2016

Default Stupid gauge question

Are the dash gauges different in any way for the later first gen trucks between a gas half ton and the Cummins 3/4 and one tons?

I've read that the earlier design of gauges (pre intercooled ) were different from the later design (intercooled) gauges (analog versus non analog?). My question is whether all the later design are the same otherwise (not calibrated differently gas versus diesel)?

Also, same question on the odometers. I assume (maybe wrongly) the speedometer is calibrated differently for the rear end but if I want to rebuild an odometer from a gas 1992 D-150 and swap it in, is it the same?

As you might have suspected, my son and I bought a D-150 gas truck for some donor body parts and I've stripped everything off of it, including the gauges etc.

The oil/temp/gas gauges on my newly acquired 92 D350 don't work and the needles are faded out so I was going to install the D-150 gauges in their place.

Odo doesn't work either. Was going to get replacement odo gears and rebuild the D-150 odo and swap that in if that would be an option.

TIA

Joe
Old 02-03-2016

Pull 'em out and look. I'm not sure but I think they may be the same, a good speedometer shop can recalibrate. Remember now I have never looked into this so I really don't have a clue, but I think the gauges are the same.
'91.5 somewhat stock w-250 4x4 5sp Except for the EVIL twin turbos, K&N filter, two small shopping cart dents in right door, Monroe SENAS-TRAC rear shocks. cheap $35 air horns. KDP tabbed. South Bend clutch 13-1.25 Con O. Max stixs, 4" Rip Exhaust,No Muffler, Old Smokey fuel pin. EGR rear disc. Engine breathed on by Max.
My Black Cloud Is Back!...
2012 3500 crew cab Ram 6spd manual, 8' box
I'm just so tired of being tired
Now on facebook
Old 02-03-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreddog View Post
Pull 'em out and look. I'm not sure but I think they may be the same, a good speedometer shop can recalibrate. Remember now I have never looked into this so I really don't have a clue, but I think the gauges are the same.
Thanks BRD. I recall on some cars there was a small code printed at the bottom of the speedometer face for automatic versus manual tranny versions but that was back in the speedo cable days. I think these trucks have sensors in the rear end and maybe the translation of the rpm is done by the compooter? My speedometer needle is whacked out so I need to get under there and check the sensor wire too.

Regarding the gauges, I actually have two sets of "late" D-150 gauges to look at.

I bought a set from a guy who said they were for a Cummins but they had D-150 written on them in marker.

We later found this D-150 to use for parts so I pulled those gauges out as well. I'll check them for a code anywhere and take the gauges out of my D350 and compare.

Right now, my yard and barn look like the place where red Dodge trucks go to die. In the barn, I've got a D250 SRW reg cab that belongs to my son, my 93 Xcab D350 DRW truck, and the 92 D350 reg cab DRW. All are red.

In the yard I have a very solid red 84 D100 shortbed gas truck with a slant 6/4 speed manual, I only bought that because it was a package deal with the parts D-150 and a manual tranny. I also have what's left of the D-150 in the yard, essentially a bare cab and rolling chassis. I put that on CL for free and it should leave tonight. I was really pushing my wife's limitations.

Last edited by JoeLuther; 02-03-2016 at 12:39 PM..
Old 02-06-2016

The wiring diagrams don't show any difference. Just hang on to the sensors just in case.