Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 1st Generation
Technical Info: 1st Generation Technical discussion of first generation (1989 - 1993) questions, solutions and upgrades. All 1st generation topics are suitable for this forum.

Old 10-27-2015

Default changing motor mounts

I bought a 89 D250 5 speed with my son as a project, knowing it needed some work. A lot had been done but a lot undone.

One of the things it needed was motor mounts, the existing mounts were sheared off. That's been a treat, i got the old ones out, they were in two pieces. The motor had settled a bit to the passenger side so the downpipe seems to be under the housing for the blower motor (I believe) and it won't raise enough to allow the long horizontal bolts to pass through the mount assembly. It's hanging relatively free otherwise at the moment, suspended on my hoist by some straps and clevises via the lifting brackets. i was thinking about using a hydraulic jack and wood block under the tranny flange on the pass side to rotate the engine as needed to clear the blower housing to allow it to raise via the hoist. Bad idea? I'm thinking the hoist is carrying most of the load so I'm not working the tranny flange too hard? It's tough to get a 2x4 in there to use as a lever but I can try that if you guys think the flange is a bad idea. Thanks!
Old 10-27-2015
Administrator

There should be part of the engine block casting near the rear that sticks from the oil pan rail. That's where I always put a bottle jack when I changed flywheel housings. Just don't catch the edge of the pan with the jack.
2000QC,SLT,SB,4x4,Intense Blue,Auto,4.10,DSS,AFE Megacannon PRO GUARD-7,silencer ring MIA,Edge Comp-pump wire untapped,Rip's 4in Fair Shake Exhaust,Isspro EVs fuel,boost,pyro,FASS 95/150, S/S '03 trackbar bracket, Thuren '03 trackbar, HTS Ultimate Duty trans w/ billet input & output, 89% Suncoast convertor, 150HP MAXsticks

'06 Liberty CRD, Inferno Red Crystal Pearlcoat, GDE ECO tune

'12 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, Bright Silver Metallic

'98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
Old 10-28-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAF View Post
There should be part of the engine block casting near the rear that sticks from the oil pan rail. That's where I always put a bottle jack when I changed flywheel housings. Just don't catch the edge of the pan with the jack.
That's where I was thinking of putting the wood block, I'm guessing that is the block casting rather than the tranny. I will definitely avoid the oil pan.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 12-07-2015

Got the motor mounts in, finally. Ended up using a hydraulic bottle jack on the flanges to tip the engine slightly from side to side to get everything lined up. Also had to pull the engine forward while suspended, discovered there were no bolts holding the transmission to the mount. Still sorting out how to deal with that but the engine looks good sitting in there straight without the upper radiator hose hitting the top of the core support and the bottom edge of the turbo assembly an inch from the frame. Downpipe is oversize and really close to touching the blower housing, probably need to put some sort of insulation in there.