Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > General Diesel Topics > RV and Medium / Heavy Duty Applications
RV and Medium / Heavy Duty Applications NEW! We've added a forum to cover questions relating to diesel powered Recreational Vehicles, and Medium / Heavy Duty Trucks! Post your questions here!

Old 10-24-2011

Ok, there is no misfire, although a time or 2 it has developed a tremor for just a couple seconds. Generally speaking it runs smooth after startup, but under powered.

I'm pretty sure it's oil smoke from the smell. I've worked on plenty of oil burning junkers in my day, the smell is plenty familiar.
Now, I remain to be proven wrong, wouldn't be the first time, but it smells like oil burning, and it's a different smell from the puff of smoke at startup.

It was "idling" when it puddled. It had been pumping water for the first hour, but it was an extended overhaul operation and the truck was just sitting while the lines operated on plug pressure.

It's after a low idle period that it smokes as well.
Stock, until...
My Other Truck is a Fire Engine!!

Last edited by smokediver; 10-24-2011 at 03:42 PM..
Old 10-24-2011
Administrator

I think I'd start with the injectors first. One other thing, when was the last time the valves were adjusted?

I also think that when you're going to be sitting for some period of time with the engine idling, might want to bump it up to like 11 -1200 rpm if you can. See if that helps any.
2000QC,SLT,SB,4x4,Intense Blue,Auto,4.10,DSS,AFE Megacannon PRO GUARD-7,silencer ring MIA,Edge Comp-pump wire untapped,Rip's 4in Fair Shake Exhaust,Isspro EVs fuel,boost,pyro,FASS 95/150, S/S '03 trackbar bracket, Thuren '03 trackbar, HTS Ultimate Duty trans w/ billet input & output, 89% Suncoast convertor, 150HP MAXsticks

'06 Liberty CRD, Inferno Red Crystal Pearlcoat, GDE ECO tune

'12 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, Bright Silver Metallic

'98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
Old 10-24-2011

I'd be willing to bet the valves have NEVER been adjusted, not to my knowledge anyway.
Idling it up won't be any problem, just have to take the extra 15 seconds to do it. It will have to be done from the pump control panel.

I hope they'll at least have the injectors checked, but it will have to be outsourced and getting them to spend money on things that are running is like pulling teeth. The general plan is to wait till it dies then see about it.

For example, I reported for 4 months that the cab lift cylinder was leaking a significant amount of oil, well, after 4 months the seal blew out and it wouldn't lift at all. Then it was another month before they decided to change both cyllinders. The wheels of government...

Hey RAF, thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it.
At least I'm better prepared for the showdown.
I'll let ya know how it turns out......probably be a month from now....or 4...
Stock, until...
Old 10-24-2011
Administrator

Not a problem, hope it works out for you.

We get a fair amount of Batlo. City's firetrucks. Usually don't have a problem getting things done on them.
2000QC,SLT,SB,4x4,Intense Blue,Auto,4.10,DSS,AFE Megacannon PRO GUARD-7,silencer ring MIA,Edge Comp-pump wire untapped,Rip's 4in Fair Shake Exhaust,Isspro EVs fuel,boost,pyro,FASS 95/150, S/S '03 trackbar bracket, Thuren '03 trackbar, HTS Ultimate Duty trans w/ billet input & output, 89% Suncoast convertor, 150HP MAXsticks

Old 10-24-2011

People here in our area just don't get it also. Our home owners fire insurance is based on the age and condition of the fire trucks in the fleet. The Fire Department is always under scrutiny for every dime they spend. It is a sad state of affairs. They have gotten as ridiculous as to think they can operate with a volunteer fire chief.
It all works until someone gets poked in the eye with a sharp stick.
'98 Ram Dually quad cab; 4X4; auto with mystery switch; 4:10's; BHAF; 4" MBRP exhaust; 3K Governor spring kit; #5 plate; timing @15.5; 63/65/14 turbo; 90 hp injectors; Isspro pyro, boost & tranny temp gauges; DSS steering stabilizer; adjustable heavy duty track bar, Snow Water/Methanol Injection Tow-Max System.
Old 10-25-2011
Administrator

One other thing, you mentioned 7800 hours on that engine. We generally multiply the hours by forty to get a mileage.

7800 x 40 = 312000. It might be that the engine is starting to show it's age too.

Old 10-25-2011

Yup, way more idle time than driving time.

And like Bama said,
start
sprint
sit & idle
stop & go
shut down
do over
Stock, until...
Old 11-06-2011
Administrator

So, any update on if it was checked out or not?

Old 01-09-2012

Hey RAF, sorry, didn't catch the update request earlier.

TODAY the truck is in the shop, and the senior mechanic still insists that oil smoke after extended idling is "normal",
and I insist that it IS NOT.
They say it's not a new truck anymore and stuff happens, and I say, and when it happens you FIX IT!

The shop manager says they will "look at it" which means they will do just that and nothing else
and I'll get it back the same way it went there.
Oh, they are supposed to tighten the loose "U" bolts on the front axle, and replace a loose tie-rod-end, which they told me 6 months ago there was nothing wrong with the front end, but then I crawled under the front and could turn the washers on the u-bolts with my fingers and jacked up one front tirre and could move it a good 1/4 inch without moving the other one.

Any REAL mechanics want to come on down and apply for a job?!?!?
Stock, until...
Old 01-09-2012

It's 5:30 and they're still "looking at it" so we won't get it back today.
They probably didn't "find anything" and didn't want me coming back down there to tell them how to do their job.
The truck will probably be back in the station before next shift and nobody will know what was done to it, if anything
Stock, until...