Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > General Diesel Topics > RV and Medium / Heavy Duty Applications
RV and Medium / Heavy Duty Applications NEW! We've added a forum to cover questions relating to diesel powered Recreational Vehicles, and Medium / Heavy Duty Trucks! Post your questions here!

Old 09-21-2007

Default Re: Tech, Says Stay Away From 6.7 Cummins For 08

I thank you, but the compliment is mostly undeserved.
2004.5 White Laramie 2500 Ext Cab SB 4X4. 3.73's with Sure-Grip 6 speed. 19+ mpg (Edge Level 1) running empty. Don't mess with "Great White" unless you want to get spanked! Nobody expects 7000 pounds to move like that.
Old 09-21-2007

No matter how much we complain and use sensible logic to try to fight the installation of faulty systems or change of build all together, no one in the government will ever listen. "We're rollin down hill on a snowball headed for hell" as Merle Haggard put it in one of his songs. Intellegent people are the new minority in this world.
Old 09-21-2007
DieselRam's Tranny Guru

There are more basic reasons for staying away from the 6.7 beside all of the extra EPA source. And coming from a VERY knowledgeable source, and if he wishes, will chime in here. Cracked heads, fuel system woes, injector problems and the list goes on. Replaced engines at low miles and the reason that I wanted one was for more stock towing torque, and its not there. The 5.9 will out perform it.

I dont want one now, keeping what I have and I am STILL looking for another.
The mods I talk about here is for information purposes only. I experiment on my own vehicles but do not endorse the modifications that I make to my vehicles to be used on others. If you use this info that I talk about, you use it at your own risk and responsibility.

03 Dodge 4X4 quad cab Dually. Two travel trailers, 1 cargo trailer. Lots of ham radios. Call sign N5ZYK Tech class. On 28.300 to 28.500 around 10:00 AM to 2:00PM every sunday.
Old 09-21-2007

What's the "LP system"? I have never heard about it before.
Old 09-21-2007

Propane/Butane injection. Liquified Petroleum Gas.
Old 09-21-2007

Do I smell OP?? [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img] Glad you kept the 03 Tim????
04 Laramie (H) 2500 HO QC 4X4 48RE 3:73 LS Putco Boss Bars LineX AFE Stage II Silver Stars 956 Moto's high idle ROKK sensor FASS MagHytec Diffs & DD trans pan

The Second Amendment is only vague if:
1. You cannot read and comprehend the English language
2. Choose to selectively alter the meaning of "the people" from amendment to amendment
3. Have never read any of the writings of the Founders

Anything else is a willful effort to twist the meaning of the Constitution to fit an agenda, or profound stupidity."
Old 09-24-2007

The above are all reasons why I'll never buy a new truck! I'll just swap the ol' reliable 12v into an old military duece and a quarter, or something similar, when the '96 is too rusty to fix anymore, and motor off into the sunset.
A good friend has a '55 Chevy, which gets 25-30 mpg's has absolutely no emmissions, and runs great.
Another friend, who's as old as Methusala, was around when these emmission systems were first being forced on us. He had a built Chevy Suburban, which he pulled with. He was an automotive tech and teacher of automotive tech. When they demonstrated the new emmission systems with the exhaust sniffers, they asked for someone with an older vehicle to "sniff" as a comparisan. His old, built, 350, was cleaner than the brand new 350 smogger they were testing.
Just more proof that it's not about emmissions!
'96 Ram 2500 CTD, 4x4, homebuilt flatbed, 3:55's, posi1 ton brake cylinders. ISSPRO gauges. Thuren Fab track bar. Skyjacker D25's. DSS, HD steering.
Exhaust; Schwitzer S300G 57/65/14, 4" turbo-back, 5" turnout stacks.
Motor; BHAF, #100 fuel plate. AFC mods. GS shimmed. 306hp/743tq
Trans; Intelligent Engineering billet input shaft. Dunrite VB and single disc TC. Burt Brown rebuild/upgrade.

The "new" toy, '81 D150, 2WD, short bed, 4BTA conversion underway!!
Old 09-25-2007

45 who else would it be?!

96 Dodge 2500, 4x4, Auto, new project
Old 09-30-2007

Send a message via ICQ to CaptainCummins Send a message via AIM to CaptainCummins Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainCummins

Its not just Cummins, We've sold proably 40 trucks with 07 engines, and it seems that as complicated and late into the game Cat was, we've had the least problems with them. Detroit and Mercedes are terrible, we have a 08 FTL Century Class with an 07 MBE-4000 that dropped a couple valves outta #4 and 4 cylinders. It seems that with all the added emmisions equipment, the factories have fogotten how to build the internals [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/Brick.gif[/img]

We had alot of problems on the new 6.7's with the crankase pressure monitoring system. We sell alot of plow trucks and the extended fill and dipstick tues leak causing the crankase pressure to leak out, since the 6.7 burns its vapors instead of dumping them into the atmosphere.

I've also changed a couple valve covers on MBE-900's beacuse the "Electrostatic Oil Separator" has already been updated. Every one that comes in needs to have new software installed, and software often gets updated weekly.

All in all, My next truck is gonna say HEMI on the side [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2007
DieselRam's Tranny Guru

Yes I am, 45. Now I need to save another wad of cash to replace the door so it will look at least as good as it runs.

I have the best of both worlds with this truck. Easy to change settings, TONS of low end for pulling huge loads, very VERY FAST!, and it can still get GREAT fuel economy.

Just not all at the same time!
The mods I talk about here is for information purposes only. I experiment on my own vehicles but do not endorse the modifications that I make to my vehicles to be used on others. If you use this info that I talk about, you use it at your own risk and responsibility.

03 Dodge 4X4 quad cab Dually. Two travel trailers, 1 cargo trailer. Lots of ham radios. Call sign N5ZYK Tech class. On 28.300 to 28.500 around 10:00 AM to 2:00PM every sunday.