Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1998 - 2002) 24-valve engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 04-25-2011

Default No Good

Well, after bad fuel and lots of filters I'm still stratching my head. The truck is apart in the shop with over $300 in filters so far, tank dropped, lines cleaned (blown) and now new ECM with still no improvement on drivability. I still think it is the VP44 but with no codes the shop isn't agreeing with me (yet).

This is getting pricey too...

If anyone is looking for a modified 2002 RAM with all sort of goodies, new southbend and such let me know...
2012 3500 Laramie, LWB, Crew Cab, SRW, 4x4, 6.7L Oil Burner, 3:73 gears, Auto, S&B Air Intake, 35" Goodyear All Weather Tread, 2" Carrier Spring lvl kit with FOX Shocks, BD Adjustable Track Bar, DSS Stabilizer, Serviceable ball joints and tie rod ends, FLOPRO Exhaust, RACEME, Bright Source HID, Colour Match Canopy, VHF Radio and Cell Booster Cradle, AMP Bumper Step.
Old 04-25-2011
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ

Bad fuel probably damaged the pump. Did you save a sample?

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 04-25-2011

Yes, it was tested and was found to be 60% water! I think the shuttle is stuck because when you give it a little go pedal it drives normally. This problem is only at idle, in neutral or when clutch in and slowing down (ie stop light).
2012 3500 Laramie, LWB, Crew Cab, SRW, 4x4, 6.7L Oil Burner, 3:73 gears, Auto, S&B Air Intake, 35" Goodyear All Weather Tread, 2" Carrier Spring lvl kit with FOX Shocks, BD Adjustable Track Bar, DSS Stabilizer, Serviceable ball joints and tie rod ends, FLOPRO Exhaust, RACEME, Bright Source HID, Colour Match Canopy, VHF Radio and Cell Booster Cradle, AMP Bumper Step.
Old 04-25-2011
Administrator

Or it could have damaged the injectors . small amounts of water will wreck injectors.

After my experiance last year I changed VP , Injectors , Filters . It was a mess. But what was nice the service station stood up and paid for my time and repairs.

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 04-25-2011

Service station in this case is not accepting any responsibility and I don't have time or energy to chase that down so it's a mute point.
Not a fun experience for sure.
Old 04-25-2011
Administrator

Of course not , thievin bastages. But hang a sign out there and find out who else had the problem within two day time span and I bet it will be a different story.

In my case two other guys showed up with PSD's with samples as well. Hard to deny it then.

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 04-25-2011

Easier said then done. That station is 700 miles from here and no, I won't be going back there.
Old 04-25-2011

Send a message via Yahoo to RAMNYOU

Sorry to hear about your troubles Wyatt!!! Hope it gets fixed up soon & not much more expense!

"If dogs are man's best friend, then the Labrador Retriever must be his soul mate."

2003 3500 H.O. 4x4, 6 speed manual, Laramie Pkg, Quad Cab, AFE air filter, Heavy Duty Bilstein shocks & Ringectomy
2004 3500 H.O. 4X4 Auto, Laramie Pkg, Quad Cab, Ringectomy, AFE turbo back exhaust
Old 04-25-2011

Well, I parted with nearly $3600 today. Granted I paid $800 plus for a complete rear brake job BUT this ECM re/re did not do a f*cking thing! These guys clearly didn't take the truck for a drive. I let it idle in the parking lot and it sounded ok. I pulled out accelerated down the road and came to the first intersection, pushed the clutch in and BLAMO - RPM surge is still there and the really REALLY bad idle is right back there. Look I'm willing to put up with a little rumble and roll due to the big sticks but this is riddiculous. The truck idles so bad that the entire truck rocks on the front springs! We aren't talking a little valve lash or a misfire - this is rocking the very heavy (taller) aftermarket springs almost 2" left and right when it gets going. There is no way this is simply ok.

MAX, I went in there with your internet diagnosis, the same BTW that my HD mechanic said as well as a buddy of mine who is a Ford PSD mechanic - something is wrong with the pump or the injectors and I still strongly believe this but because there has never been a code thrown I can't prove it.

I'm ****ed right off and now a little soar in the pocket book and it isn't f*cking fixed. Oh did I mention I have to drive another 1000 miles at the end of next week - back into the middle of nowhere! This place is not really a camp but it is a small enough place that overnight courier takes almost 3 days to get there! You get the idea.
Old 04-25-2011
Administrator

Here's what I would do. Have them put the old ECM back on because obviously it didn't fix a damn thing and they where shooting from the hip replacing parts.

Now for the bad if in fact the bad fuel ruined the injectors driving a 1000 clicks will just melt the truck down in short order not to mention if the pump is bad it won't supply the required pressure to pop off the injectors properly.

So in short not knowing the experience level of said shop ........ In my professional opinion you need to go back and get some compensation.

www.maxtorqdiesel.com