Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: Parts and Accessories
Technical Info: Parts and Accessories Discussion of parts and accessories associated with Dodge Ram Diesels. Discuss products you use, recommend or are looking for for your truck.

Old 06-09-2010

Default Nitto Terra Grapplers Finally Arrived!

Hello, all.... it's been a while since I last posted. Hope everyone is well!

It came time for me to get some new tires recently and after quite a bit of reading and research, I decided on the Nitto Terra Grapplers in the 285/75/17 size.

I liked several other tire brands (Hankook was a top contender), but it appears that for the time being, only Nitto and Toyo manufacture the 285/75/17s ... everyone else just has the 285/70/117s (in the 285 width). I really liked the width of the 285s, but wanted the tire to be just a little taller than the 70/17s. The 285/75/17s seemed to fit the bill.

After about 4 weeks of backorder through Discount Tire, they finally came in. I had them put on yesterday and they look great!

A couple of observations I have made so far are:
1) Truck rides much smoother over road bumps. The stock 265/70/17 BFGs I had on there before were pretty jarring. I'm not sure if this was in part because they were coming to the end of their life or what. The taller Nitto tire appears to absorb a lot of the jarring that I was experiencing with the BFGs (my wife seems to appreciate this -- chicks...)

2) No road noise, despite reasonably aggressive tread (as compared to the Nitto Dura Grapplers). If there is any highway road noise, it is not able to be heard over the engine, so it's a non-issue.

3) No rubbing issues at all. I have no lift or leveling kit on my truck -- stock suspension all the way.

4) The spare tire fits just fine (although it's close!)

The tires are currently inflated to 55psi ... this could account for the softer ride that I mentioned earlier. I am going to inflate them to 70psi (max inflation rating is 80psi), and see how that feels.

Finally, I am installing the OEM Mopar fender flares today, since the wider 285s will be flinging rocks and whatnot onto the side of the truck more than before. The Mopar fender flares are a little more low profile in appearance (don't stick out as far from the truck), which is what I was looking for.

If anyone is interested in pictures of the final product, or has any questions about anything, let me know.

It's good to be back on the forum!
Old 06-09-2010

Send a message via Yahoo to RAMNYOU

Hi Doliber & welcome back! Of course we wanna see pics!

"If dogs are man's best friend, then the Labrador Retriever must be his soul mate."

2003 3500 H.O. 4x4, 6 speed manual, Laramie Pkg, Quad Cab, AFE air filter, Heavy Duty Bilstein shocks & Ringectomy
2004 3500 H.O. 4X4 Auto, Laramie Pkg, Quad Cab, Ringectomy, AFE turbo back exhaust
Old 06-09-2010

If you could post some pics on here I would like to see how it looks now.
Old 06-09-2010

Sigh ... (did I mention SIGH?) I just got a call from the dealership who was going to instal the flares and they told me that because I have the dodge mud flaps installed (the hard plastic OEM ones that I got from the dealer when I originally bought the truck) that they would not be able to instal the flares. Apparently these two OEM parts are not compatable. Weird.

I'm going to pick my truck up tomorrow since I'm working now and can't get it today and explore options. I'm not sure if some modifications can be made to the flares or flaps to make this work or not, but I guess I'll find out. I hate to get rid of the flaps in exchange for the flares because it will probably somewhat defeat my attempts to reduce the amount of debris getting kicked up onto the paint.

Anyone have ideas or know if there is a way to work around this? I can't imagine I'm the first guy this has happened to...
Old 06-09-2010

The mud flaps I put on my truck are OEM Soft rubber flaps. Geno's also sells something similar and they do a decent job at keeping the truck clean. Ditch the cheesy plastic ones, throw on the flares then upgrade the flaps to something compatible.
Old 06-09-2010

Good idea J.R.!
Old 06-10-2010

Angry

Thanks for the mud flap suggestions, guys!

I decided to just remove the mud flaps and have the fender flares installed for now. The flares will have to go on first anyway, no matter what flaps I end up going with.

Here's a funny story though...

After I removed the mud flaps, I did a little experimenting with the fender flare to see what this alleged flap/flare compatibility issue was all about. I temporarily put the flare over the left rear wheel well (labeled "izquierda" -- thank goodness for high school Spanish class, or I would have thought "izquierda" was some sort of rare lizard or something) and then tried to see if there was a way to mount the flap on over the flare. Oddly enough, both the OEM flare and the OEM flap appear to fit together very nicely - AS IF THEY WERE DESIGNED TO DO SO (imagine that!). So I decided to take my truck back down to the dealership to instal the flare and to show them that the flap appears to fit with the flare installed, and to have them do the installation.

Here's the funny part of the story -- as I was on the way to the dealership, I saw a truck just like mine driving down the road with what appeared to be the Mopar fender flares that I have. As I looked closer guess what I saw? The same damn mud flaps that I have, bolted on over the fender flare, just the way that I thought they would. There was living proof that it could be done! (or so I thought).

When I arrived at the dealership and showed them how the flare and flap fit together, they still refused to install the flaps. "The bolt holes won't match up", they said. So I suggested they DRILL NEW HOLES. They then indicated that if they did that, the bolts would not be long enough and that the flap would only be mounted to the flare and not into metal (obviously not a good option). So I suggested they USE LONGER BOLTS. Still not an option http://www.dieselram.com/images/icons/icon8.gif

Anyway, I will get the flares installed for now and will just do the flap installation myself. I may still just go with other flaps altogether -- I'll definitely check Geno's if I go that route. I'll try the ones I have first.

I'll post pics of the flares once they're on the truck and then some additional ones with the flaps on (whichever ones end up getting installed).

Good times!! I guess this is what I get for not just doing this myself in the first place...
Old 06-10-2010

let us know how you like em in the slop and rain. i had em and would never get them again. i do agree they are good on dry.
2001 2500qc lwb 4wd 5spd,4.10,k&n fipk,turbomaster boost controller,bluechip fms,mu 13-1.25 con ofe,fass 150/150,hotrod vp44,flex-a-lite electric fan#262,4" exhaust,dss&adj trackbar,borgeson shaft,mach4's,marine head gasket,arp headstuds-mine-sold jan'03

2003 excursion 7.3l ps,afe stage 2,edge juice w/a2 gps,4" mbrp,203* tstat,turbomaster boost controller,adrenaline HPOP,fass125/50-wifes pos!
Old 06-11-2010

daknee -

Did you have the same size tire I bought, or the Terra Grapplers in a different size?

So far, no opportunity to drive in rain or mud (or snow, of course), but I will surely test them out when the opportunity arises and let you know!
Old 06-12-2010

no had the 305/75/16 and didnt care for them neither did a friend. we both went back to the bfg at/tko. i hope they work better for you.
2001 2500qc lwb 4wd 5spd,4.10,k&n fipk,turbomaster boost controller,bluechip fms,mu 13-1.25 con ofe,fass 150/150,hotrod vp44,flex-a-lite electric fan#262,4" exhaust,dss&adj trackbar,borgeson shaft,mach4's,marine head gasket,arp headstuds-mine-sold jan'03

2003 excursion 7.3l ps,afe stage 2,edge juice w/a2 gps,4" mbrp,203* tstat,turbomaster boost controller,adrenaline HPOP,fass125/50-wifes pos!

Tags
285/75/17, Fender, Flares, Mopar, Nitto