Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1998 - 2002) 24-valve engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 10-31-2011

Default Clutch seems to be chirping.

I just finished a 100 mile trip with a 15k trailer. I had the cruise set and was pulling a long slight incline and heard a chirp or squealing noise and the truck surged. I canceled the cruise and continued the trip without cruise and seemed to going well for a few miles. I ended up having to baby the truck up any incline or the truck would jerk and squeal. It acts like the clutch is slipping but no smell and I have never heard a slipping clutch make noise. The clutch is stock with 123000 miles. It feels like a momentary slip and the engine rpm does not climb when it chirps. Also when I pulled on the off ramp and downshifted it made a similar noise. It make the noise in 3rd 4th and 5th gear under acceleration. When I stopped I could hold my bare hand on the bottom of the tranny so it isn't getting hot. I am wondering if my clutch is going out or if I have a different issue? Anyone else have this happen?
99 Q-cab, 5-spd, 4x4, running boards, cow catcher, viser, gauges-egt-boost-fuel press, weatherguard toolbox, aluminum bed rails, codyhitch gooseneck, seatcovers, steering wheel cover, edge ez, H.O. pump, rv injectors, and fast idle throttle cable.
Old 10-31-2011

With that many miles and towing that weight, most likely a clutch issue. You might not see the rpm go up if the slipping is happening quickly....which a chirp would suggest. My clutch was toast around 140k miles, and the clutch rivits were almost into the flywheel and pressure plate.
Old 10-31-2011

stock clutch lasts about 128k miles. more than likely thats what it is. time to give southbend a call.
2001 2500qc lwb 4wd 5spd,4.10,k&n fipk,turbomaster boost controller,bluechip fms,mu 13-1.25 con ofe,fass 150/150,hotrod vp44,flex-a-lite electric fan#262,4" exhaust,dss&adj trackbar,borgeson shaft,mach4's,marine head gasket,arp headstuds-mine-sold jan'03

2003 excursion 7.3l ps,afe stage 2,edge juice w/a2 gps,4" mbrp,203* tstat,turbomaster boost controller,adrenaline HPOP,fass125/50-wifes pos!
Old 11-02-2011

I use the truck as a daily driver and pull 15k to 25k gooseneck trailers about 40% of time. With my hp upgrades (edge ez and rv injectors) what clutch would be the best choice. (stock replacement/southbend single or twin disk) I don't want anything to harsh because the wife needs to be able to drive it on occasion. I am on my original stock clutch that I have put 85,000 miles on and I bought the truck with 42,000 on it.

Thanks in advance.
99 Q-cab, 5-spd, 4x4, running boards, cow catcher, viser, gauges-egt-boost-fuel press, weatherguard toolbox, aluminum bed rails, codyhitch gooseneck, seatcovers, steering wheel cover, edge ez, H.O. pump, rv injectors, and fast idle throttle cable.
Old 11-03-2011

talk to them. they will match it up based on your info. probably will be 13-1.25 con ofe imo but they are the ones to talk to.
2001 2500qc lwb 4wd 5spd,4.10,k&n fipk,turbomaster boost controller,bluechip fms,mu 13-1.25 con ofe,fass 150/150,hotrod vp44,flex-a-lite electric fan#262,4" exhaust,dss&adj trackbar,borgeson shaft,mach4's,marine head gasket,arp headstuds-mine-sold jan'03

2003 excursion 7.3l ps,afe stage 2,edge juice w/a2 gps,4" mbrp,203* tstat,turbomaster boost controller,adrenaline HPOP,fass125/50-wifes pos!
Old 12-20-2011

I replaced the clutch, it was worn however not worn out. I was hauling 2 fullsize chevy pickups on my trailer and everything was going good for the first 80 miles and had to baby it the last 20. Same jerk and squeal under a heavy or light acceleration. The tranny is cool, differentals are cool front hubs are cool. The weather was about 20 degrees F. Could it be a bad bearing in the differential. I was driving in 4th when it was chirping at about 2000 rpm. It will make the noise in 3rd and 5th as well. I am thinking it is not a tranny problem because 4th would be direct through, no countershafts or side load bearings.

I know it is hard to diagnose with just a decription, however any input would be appriciated to help me find the problem before it gets bigger and more exspensive.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-22-2011

Check your U-joints.
06 D3500 DRW Big Horn QC 2WD, 3.73, G56, BFG Commercial T/As, SuperChips Flashpaq, Cab-high Skaug body, Sparton pneumatics, K&N drop-in, Sirius. Valair dual-disc. 4x4x36 Magnaflow exits ahead of RH duals. LEDs at all ICC positions. Green LED floods at shift console(so you can get yer brew...er, Coke...in the cupholder in the dark...)
96 Grand Marquis GS pillow barge, 59000 miles.
Whiskey for my men, vasectomies for my enemies.

Tags
clutch, flywheel, jerk, noise, surge