Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 3rd Generation: DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 3rd Generation: DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of third generation (2003 - 2007) engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 03-11-2019

Default Rough idle, low power, no new codes.

Reaching out for some insight if possible. Truck is no longer a daily driver so it sits more than it should. Was starting and driving weekends but it's been sitting for a couple months now. Batts were almost dead, has a P2509 code that has not cleared yet after fully charging them. I've had the 2509 before when my batt cables were loose. Can that still be a voltage issue to the ECM? This rough idle is constant. Fresh fuel and air filter, ran some seafoam as well as fresh diesel into the filter bowl, no change. Ohm'd the injectors, replaced the FCA, and have a rail pressure relief plug coming tomorrow. No diesel in the oil, no blow by pressure felt at the oil fill. No smoke, low on power, can hear the turbo spool but don't have my programmer in so no gauges. Seems to point to something mechanical.
A couple odd things. I was letting it warm up to see if there was a stiction issue to free up and the intake boot popped off the turbo. Seemed like everything smoothed out briefly like it was a back pressure issue. Put it back together w/ a new air filter, rough idle again. Opened the air box at idle to test and no change. I also noticed a small coolant drip at the overflow hose and radiator nipple and after cooling down the coolant was full to the very top of the filler neck spilling some when the cap came off, overflow hose is clear.
Long winded but didn't want to miss anything I've noticed or done. Max, I called the shop but you guys are probably swamped. Any ideas guys?
Old 03-12-2019

When you say the intake boot popped off..you're saying between the air filter and the turbo? Not between the turbo and the intercooler?
In other words, it came off the intake side, not the discharge side??
Stock, until...
My Other Truck is a Fire Engine!!
Old 03-12-2019

Yes intake side. I replaced the baffle with a pvc tube and think it just popped loose due to the shaking not back pressure. Dropped it off at a shop close to home tonight. Pretty sure I'm down one cylinder, probably injector, but will know more tomorrow.
Old 03-12-2019

Hate to neglect this truck, owned since new, but 3.5 miles to work isn't worth firing it up and not even getting to temp. Weekend big box store runs aren't enough to keep it healthy either.