Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > NEW! Technical Info: 4th Gen DRIVETRAIN
NEW! Technical Info: 4th Gen DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of fourth generation (2007.5 and up) 6.7L engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades. For trucks with the 5.9L engine use the appropriate 3rd gen forums.

Old 03-22-2017

I did that well not all the way across the country but about 1200 miles to my house from Dave Smith. It was awesome flew up in the afternoon, they picked me up at the airport drove me to the dealership signed paperwork and was out there by 6pm. Drove to Missoula that night which wasn't great as it took me a solid 3 hours to go the 100 miles due to snow/road conditions. Drove the next two days home in a freakin blizzard the whole way. Was in 4x4 more than not dang near got stranded in Twin Falls ID but made it ok and was able to find out how well she did in serious winter driving conditions and she performed quite well.

Sold
2001.5 2500 QC, DTT Auto, LB, 4x4, 3.54's, Cam,12v lift pump, Edge JWA, RV275's, Smarty, DOR Front Bumper, PDR HX-35, Carli 2.5 Pintop
Old 03-23-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45Auto View Post
I believe Dave Smith uploads all their trucks, in my case, I bought one with close to $4K more in options than what the dealer had on a truck I looked at, at $1300. less than what the dealer was going to give me! Pretty much all Dave Smith trucks are loaded! My friends Duracrap was loaded!
Yes, flying up and driving home.
When you get it stop by and show me your new truck.
'91.5 somewhat stock w-250 4x4 5sp Except for the EVIL twin turbos, K&N filter, two small shopping cart dents in right door, Monroe SENAS-TRAC rear shocks. cheap $35 air horns. KDP tabbed. South Bend clutch 13-1.25 Con O. Max stixs, 4" Rip Exhaust,No Muffler, Old Smokey fuel pin. EGR rear disc. Engine breathed on by Max.
My Black Cloud Is Back!...
2012 3500 crew cab Ram 6spd manual, 8' box
I'm just so tired of being tired
Now on facebook
Old 03-24-2017

Good friend of mine is a salesman at Dave Smith, I know if you talk to Clyde, he'll do everything he can to find exactly what you want.

As far as transmissions go, a lot of the 68rfe issues were sorted out later on, my 2012 has 340,000 miles towing heavy on the original engine and trans. My case cracked last week due to driveline vibration, but it still drives and shifts fine save for a little fluid loss.

PROJECT MAX-FREEK
p-pump 24 valve, evil intake manifold, evil cam, evil valvesprings, evil head, evil timing cover, arc-flow, needs a home '41 dodge?
Old 11-22-2017

Circumstances forced me into a purchase of a 3500 this weekend @ Clown. I got the AISIN and 3.42 gearing. My 04 bought new did not cost near what this one did... I'm still in shock. So far it drives real nice... can't wait to put a real load on it and drive across the country. So far I'm happy, but the post about oil cost... ouch. I'm still going to love this truck anyhow. I only have a 12,000 trailer I tow. If I get a chance to hook it up soon, I'll report here. I expect it to tow better than the 04 did... but slower. the 04 had performance mods that were alot of fun and much a faster truck. The new one is stock.

May my old truck rest in piece.
End over end down a canyon.. truck is FUBAR: 2004.5 2500 HO 600 4X2 SLT QC LWB 48RE / 11.5 4.10 Limited Slip / ROKK sensor / FASS 95gph / Boost Fooler / Issapro Gauges / Rebuilt Engine with many mods including ARP studs / Trans rebuilt performace parts including builet shafts.

2018 3500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Long Box / Bone stock for now.

98 2500 4X4 Reg Cab / 5 Speed / Bone stock
Old 11-23-2017
Administrator

I would imagine the life of the tranny fluid is quite extended compared to ATF, i know the stuff we use in our allisons on our freightliner M2's has a longlife.

sold
'96 2500SLT CC LB 2WD, KDP tabbed,100Hp Maxsticks,16* ,3k gsk,afc modded,#8 tst plate,62/70/13 turbo,4" MBRP exhaust,AFE stage III dry filter intake,autometer boost pyro, oil, tran temp,DSS,rebuilt diff & tranny w/billet triple lock TC w/lockup switch,1tn rear cylinders,ride rites on all 4 corners w/on board air,465k km. 330 hp 766 ft/lbs
Old 11-23-2017

Did some reading in the owners manual. the AS69RC requires an oil change every 30k and an oil + filter change every 60k
End over end down a canyon.. truck is FUBAR: 2004.5 2500 HO 600 4X2 SLT QC LWB 48RE / 11.5 4.10 Limited Slip / ROKK sensor / FASS 95gph / Boost Fooler / Issapro Gauges / Rebuilt Engine with many mods including ARP studs / Trans rebuilt performace parts including builet shafts.

2018 3500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Long Box / Bone stock for now.

98 2500 4X4 Reg Cab / 5 Speed / Bone stock
Old 1 Week Ago

Wow, been awhile since this thread and a lot has happened since! But an update is in order! The Mega Cab I picked out, I forced myself to bail on.. Was doing a lot of research on Trailers, and since this would be our first 5er, we wanted something that resembled quality and value. Well, we've learned through hours and hours of research, the two don't equate! I was going to sell the 04 5.9 with only 70K miles for the Mega Cab, only to learn that the RV industry is worse than the auto industry, Boat industry etc. etc. All trailers have issues and I'd be ****ed to have gotten rid of a perfectly good 3rd Gen and get stuck with a problem trailer. So ****ed, I'd sell the trailer and still have a $70K truck with nothing to pull. So, the decision was made to nix the Mega Cab and use the 3rd Gen.. This way, if the trailer was ****
I still have the 3rd Gen! I was pumped about the MC...Any way, now we have the trailer and using the 3rd Gen, Yes, wish I had the MC for all the right reasons, ie, Jake Brake, integrated brake controller, hitch Pucks and the list goes on, like the Aisin Trans!!!!!!! My 48Re handles the GCW of 18360 lbs, but slow go on the grades and now the trans will hit 228* for a bit. The truck pulls it fine but feels the weight.. Now looking for a good piggyback or new Trans cooler. Any suggestions?? It kills me to relay why I don't have my MC, but can't lie to you guys either! I was so looking forward to that thing! Dave Smith kept my $500.00 hold money and lost the two ticket air fare $$! But, Dave Smith said, If I should ever come back, they will give it backto me toward a new truck.. Wife says, buy it or the get away house in Idaho, but not both!!! I know what you guys would say! LOL
04 Laramie (H) 2500 HO QC 4X4 48RE 3:73 LS Putco Boss Bars LineX AFE Stage II Silver Stars 956 Moto's high idle ROKK sensor FASS MagHytec Diffs & DD trans pan

The Second Amendment is only vague if:
1. You cannot read and comprehend the English language
2. Choose to selectively alter the meaning of "the people" from amendment to amendment
3. Have never read any of the writings of the Founders

Anything else is a willful effort to twist the meaning of the Constitution to fit an agenda, or profound stupidity."

Last edited by 45Auto; 1 Week Ago at 11:36 PM..
Old 1 Week Ago

Oh, I forgot, looking possibly to another Trans option for my 3rd Gen. Anybody know if the 46RFE will bolt up and work with the 5.9?
04 Laramie (H) 2500 HO QC 4X4 48RE 3:73 LS Putco Boss Bars LineX AFE Stage II Silver Stars 956 Moto's high idle ROKK sensor FASS MagHytec Diffs & DD trans pan

The Second Amendment is only vague if:
1. You cannot read and comprehend the English language
2. Choose to selectively alter the meaning of "the people" from amendment to amendment
3. Have never read any of the writings of the Founders

Anything else is a willful effort to twist the meaning of the Constitution to fit an agenda, or profound stupidity."