Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 1st Generation
Technical Info: 1st Generation Technical discussion of first generation (1989 - 1993) questions, solutions and upgrades. All 1st generation topics are suitable for this forum.

Old 06-17-2011

I change my coolant every two years, also I wired a toggle switch which is hid in the ashtray, that shuts off the fuel solonoid that is on the injection pump. You can try to start it all day, but without power going to the fuel solonoid, it'll never start.
Old 06-17-2011

Putting in a hidden toggle switch to the fuel solonoid sounds like a simple and effective method. I will take a look at the wires coming into the solonoid. If there is more than one, I will just need to verify the correct wire. Did you just cut the wire right before going into the solonoid, spice in a connection to it, run that into the cab to switch and then back out the other side of switch to the solonoid wire? Let me know if there is anything else to it or something more to it. thx
Old 06-18-2011

Yup, thats it, I just spliced a wire on one of the two wires that go to the solonoid, and ran it to the toggle switch. Sometimes the simple things work the best. One thing I did do though, I soldered the wires on the back of the toggle switch, as they did vibrate off once, and the truck died and of course it was in an intersection, and theres no way you can push one of these trucks. If you go with guages, they only make a double pillar pod and a single pillar pod for the first gens, however, if you buy both, they will fit, and you can have your pyro, boost, and tranny temp all on the pillar.
Old 06-18-2011

Quite a rare find!! Congrats!
Old 06-18-2011

PIGIRON - Ok, good to know. Thats sounds like the best solution. I wonder if anyone is doing any other disable methods for these trucks. If so, I can't imagine there is anything less intrusive or simpler than what you have done. I used to remove the short coil wire on a restored gas truck I had if I was forced to leave it in a questionable area on occasion. I was wondering about that, if you could fit 3 gauges on the pillar. After seeing photos of others gauge installs with the 2 pod on the pillar it still looked like there was enough room for a 3rd gauge up there. My truck is a 5 speed manual so I don't need the trans gauge though. Westach makes a good quality 2 in 1 boost/pyro combo gauge I will consider. Check out http://www.westach.com and let me know your thoughts. Click on the diesel gauge link. Question, I want to use the factory cigarette lighter as a power port. On these trucks is there anything to be aware of there? Just disconnect power wire, pull out the lighter cylinder and connect up a same size power port in the factory location? I imagine disconnecting the battery before doing might be a good idea. Definately don't want any electrical issues.

SOOTSTER - Thanks! Never driven an 04', how do you like it?

Last edited by sootnsmoke; 06-18-2011 at 09:32 AM..
Old 06-19-2011

As a backup theft control, you can also interrupt the clutch switch. That will keep the starter from turning.
I removed the ash try and mounted my gauges there using the cigarette lighter for power. Westach makes some good combo gauges.
Old 06-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar View Post
As a backup theft control, you can also interrupt the clutch switch. That will keep the starter from turning.
I removed the ash try and mounted my gauges there using the cigarette lighter for power. Westach makes some good combo gauges.
That is an interesting method. Do you have that interrupt configuration now in your truck? I would like to see of photo of your gauges in that area as well if you have a couple.
Old 06-19-2011

The previous owner has an old CB mounted under the ashtray. I was going to remove that CB and use the power wire there to power a dual Westach boost/pyro gauge. My thought was to mount it at corner of dash by pillar or possibly on pillar. Only other gauge I might want is fuel pressure down the road. With a Westach dual gauge and a separate fuel gauge I could get both on the pillar with a 2 gauge pod. In addition, I am also considering this tach:

http://www.tinytach.com/tinytach/index.php

Any known pro/cons with this tach? I like the basic install as it just reads the injection pulse from the #1 fuel line. One possible negative is the read out refresh rate. Not sure if adequate of not. The other potential negative is I don't believe there is any backlight as it is LCD.

I want to use the cigarette lighter port to power my GPS. Are there any issues on these trucks you guys can think of with removing the factory lighter port, replacing with a basic power port for phone charging, GPS etc? Any precautions to be taken like putting an inline fuse? I wouldn't think it necessary as I would think somewhere upstream it would be fused, correct? Electrical has never been an area of knowledge for me.

Last edited by sootnsmoke; 06-19-2011 at 09:21 PM..
Old 06-19-2011

Congrats on the truck sootnsmoke, if you ever want to sell it let me know.
Damn fine looking too!
'91.5 somewhat stock w-250 4x4 5sp Except for the EVIL twin turbos, K&N filter, two small shopping cart dents in right door, Monroe SENAS-TRAC rear shocks. cheap $35 air horns. KDP tabbed. South Bend clutch 13-1.25 Con O. Max stixs, 4" Rip Exhaust,No Muffler, Old Smokey fuel pin. EGR rear disc. Engine breathed on by Max.
My Black Cloud Is Back!...
2012 3500 crew cab Ram 6spd manual, 8' box
I'm just so tired of being tired
Now on facebook
Old 06-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIGIRON View Post
Yup, thats it, I just spliced a wire on one of the two wires that go to the solonoid, and ran it to the toggle switch. Sometimes the simple things work the best. One thing I did do though, I soldered the wires on the back of the toggle switch, as they did vibrate off once, and the truck died and of course it was in an intersection, and theres no way you can push one of these trucks. If you go with guages, they only make a double pillar pod and a single pillar pod for the first gens, however, if you buy both, they will fit, and you can have your pyro, boost, and tranny temp all on the pillar.
Hey cougar, now we know why Nigels truck wouldn't start the other night.
'91.5 somewhat stock w-250 4x4 5sp Except for the EVIL twin turbos, K&N filter, two small shopping cart dents in right door, Monroe SENAS-TRAC rear shocks. cheap $35 air horns. KDP tabbed. South Bend clutch 13-1.25 Con O. Max stixs, 4" Rip Exhaust,No Muffler, Old Smokey fuel pin. EGR rear disc. Engine breathed on by Max.
My Black Cloud Is Back!...
2012 3500 crew cab Ram 6spd manual, 8' box
I'm just so tired of being tired
Now on facebook