Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Other Topics > On The Side
On The Side The name says it all. Are you bored? Have a rough day? Cat cough up a hairball? Well come on in and tell us about it! Here you will find discussions on almost everything under the sun. No Religion Or Politics are to be discussed here. PERIOD!

Old 02-05-2020

Default OK you airplane guys - question!

We're looking at a 1989 Bonanza F-33 to replace our current 1987 F-33. The candidate has air conditioning. Our club A&P has no experience with an air conditioning equipped AC but has been advised that air conditioning adds a significant level of time or difficulty to many maintenance actions, just by virtue of "stuff in the way". One example - "even changing spark plugs is harder".

Care to share some real world experiences to this point? Maybe rate some work that goes from "easy" to "PITA" because of A/C?

Would A/C be enough of a hassle that would cause one to pass and keep looking?

Thanks!
Greg

SOLD 97 2500 4x4 ExtCab LB Auto; Isspro gauges (pyro, boost, tranny); 75hp Maxsticks, MaxTrans auto, KDP killed; BD DSS; 3rd gen 17" wheels; GM 1ton rear brake cylinders; Westin step bars; Pakbrake exhaust brake, TS Performance TC Lockup.
Old 02-06-2020

A/C adds weight (less useful load) another system to maintain and being an '89 model is was R12 when it left the factory (if it was a factory unit) so has it been retrofitted with 134, Redtek 12, Freeze12 and how well does it work......I have 1 single Bonanza with A/C...…. evap blower is out right now. If I lived in Texas (where I saw a PA28-140 with air) I'd jump on it....here in East TN...… In aviation you learn to work around things, nature of the beast, (s) if its a twin
'06 2500 Brilliant Black Pearl Thunder Road, QC, 4X4, G56 w/ SBDD, Home Brew in the gearboxes Volant CAI, ATS Arc Flow , Airdog 100, 5" Diamond Eyes pipes, Smarty JR, Warn lock-outs, drilled and slotted rotors, HBS steering stabilizer, Pacbrake airbags, Bilstiens, RP 15W40 , 2 BIG BALLS (shift knobs) from Geno's, 5th wheel slider, step bars. The next mod is........

'74 Trans Am, someday car.......
'10 Wildwood 356 SRV
'15 Mid-life crisis
"18 FLHSX
'98 Oytota Navalon
Old 02-06-2020

Thanks! This plane has 79 lbs more useful load and 0.4" more forward CG than the '87 F33A (non-A/C) that we're replacing so, even though it does add weight, we're ok with these numbers.

It is advertised as factory air and the seller states "blows cold and no problems". The plane is based in Florida, so I assume a really nice to have there. Here in Denver, we're not convinced it's a need. However, the few candidate aircraft we've looked at are selling quickly. Others will require a significant investment in avionics to bring up to our club standards. So, the a/c, while not a buying plus for us, at least looks like a wash for now.

Appreciate the feedback.
Greg

SOLD 97 2500 4x4 ExtCab LB Auto; Isspro gauges (pyro, boost, tranny); 75hp Maxsticks, MaxTrans auto, KDP killed; BD DSS; 3rd gen 17" wheels; GM 1ton rear brake cylinders; Westin step bars; Pakbrake exhaust brake, TS Performance TC Lockup.
Old 02-07-2020

Yessir, I used to go in an early F33.....I like it better than a Splittailed DR killer......
'06 2500 Brilliant Black Pearl Thunder Road, QC, 4X4, G56 w/ SBDD, Home Brew in the gearboxes Volant CAI, ATS Arc Flow , Airdog 100, 5" Diamond Eyes pipes, Smarty JR, Warn lock-outs, drilled and slotted rotors, HBS steering stabilizer, Pacbrake airbags, Bilstiens, RP 15W40 , 2 BIG BALLS (shift knobs) from Geno's, 5th wheel slider, step bars. The next mod is........

'10 Wildwood 356 SRV
'15 Mid-life crisis
"18 FLHSX
'98 Oytota Navalon
Old 02-10-2020

cg and weight are crucial numbers in the mountains a/c would be nice Its like driving a lincoln with no a/c what you cannot afford the extra fuel? go first class and never look back
2005 SLT 2500 3.73 Automatic, reg cab, spray in liner, stull runnin boards,12 volt winch power to bed, slide out loading ramp 4ft by 8ft.Bone stock silencer now MIA 95 gph fass adjustable pump and straw kit
06 dodge 1/2 ton 2wd gasser 4.7 l auto [replacement for giving the son the ford] went to my mother 2017 1500 5.7hemi 10,000 original mile and 2018 Cadillac XTS
Old 02-12-2020

The owner doesn't have to work on it, a mechanic does. The mechanic can say take it somewhere else or, that will cost you extra. In my case, I worked for the owner, a flight school. They bought 2 of them with the idea of doing aerobatic training and sold them shortly thereafter because of down time and cost of maintenance.
Old 02-12-2020

We do as much work as FAA allows as owners, and one of our club members is an A&P, who supervises, and we have a good working relationship with an AI on the field.

Old 02-13-2020

Owner(s)/pilot(s) can by the FARs do preventative maintenance as long as...….and there is where the gray areas begin.....do the aircraft belong to a club/individual/school/not for profit.....muddy waters indeed. What if the owner does NOT hold a FAA certificate of any kind? Always best to have an A&P/IA on board to lend a hand/keep you legal/good with the Federallies…….their motto is "We're not happy till you're not happy" you know....

'10 Wildwood 356 SRV
'15 Mid-life crisis
"18 FLHSX
'98 Oytota Navalon
Old 02-13-2020

"We're not happy until you're not happy.." yep - the long-standing motto of the FAA...

The planes are owned by the club and the club consists of all and only licensed pilots; Private at minimum, ATP and CFI/CFII at the other extreme, not that that matters (in fact, sometimes they're more removed from hands on stuff than the lowly Private SEL).

We do everything from oil changes, tire changes, engine changes and owner-assisted annuals, all under the watchful supervision of our A&P and the AI. I realized late in the process that I should be logging all my work, but the calendar is running short to make that of much use to me in the long run.