Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1998 - 2002) 24-valve engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 04-29-2017

Default Lift pump dying or power to?

In Feb. 2017 my VP44 failed "no start and the codes indicated VP44" so I replaced the pump, worked fine for approx. 150 miles.
On Wednesday the truck stalled as I was getting on freeway and died. I managed to get it started, but it wood die when given throttle. After several minutes trying to figure out what was happening I found if I didn't try to accelerate it would stay running and crawl along, backed off the freeway and made it home.
Later I started engine and when I gave it a shot of throttle it would cut out and
go to idle, I noticed the fuel pressure from the lift pump was going to zero before the engine would stall. This would happen in spurts, on-off on-off then would die.
So I think the lift pump is going ****-up or the power to it is going intermittent.
I replaced the lift pump 35K ago with one from Napa, Carter or some other brand name pump.
Is there a problem with feeding the pump with 12vdc to see if the problem is pump or power to it?
Sorry for the long thread.
Paul
Old 04-29-2017
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ

Ran a carter 4801hp for awhile but still not enough fuel for these motors.

If your on a budget I can ship you a DDRP from Fass

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 04-29-2017

Carter's are iffy at best and just a general pain.
01.5,Red QC Sport SWB,HO,6spd,4x4,cowl hood, Drag Comp,4"ex., fuel press. gauge, boost&pyro gauges, bhaf, single Holley style lift pump next to the fuel tank...13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, cheapo fuel cooler, Amsoil in the trans. & Valvoline in the pan, jammer 100's, 62-65-.70A/R, ARP studs, kevlar/ceramic SD clutch

Time to turn so's you don't burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar View Post
If you remove the gutters, you won't have to clean them. Problem solved..
True love is when she gives you the ham from her egg mcmuffin
Old 04-29-2017

Thanks Max,
My original thread was for Thursday the 27th,
Today I tried to start the truck and it wouldn't fire at all. during the cranking sequence my fuel pressure didn't come up, when I quit cranking the fuel pressure came up to what I consider normal 12psi for this pump and would hold pressure for 25 sec. then shut off I could here the lift pump running. As soon as the pump stopped running I would try cranking agin and no start and no pressure during cranking. So I'm not sure it's a lift pump problem, should the lift pump work during cranking I would think so, and if it is not working during cranking what could cause it?
My first reaction was to replace with a FASS DRP and I will replace it but now I'm wondering if I have another problem to contend with.
Paul
Old 04-29-2017
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ

Next would be to start cracking injector lines at the head to see if fuel comes out each individual line.

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 04-30-2017

Might be the old ' flex lines going from the frame area to the motor ' sucking air and loosing prime. Or could have another leak/something not tight around the filter area. Need to run the fuel pump until you get pressure before you try to start it. I put a switch w/LED on the firewall that applies straight fused battery power to the pump that I can run after filter change/etc. Once you crank it with no fuel pressure, you start putting air into the injector lines...
2002 [2001.5] 2500 white CCSB 6spd/stock HO, LT285 DuraTrac's, Ford clearance lights, BD 2-low kit, Bowers idle kit, MWFI VP44@70K ,VulcanKit/StockPump, J&J Ent. SS sideboards, IssPro FP w/idget light , homemade ign.kill-key out idle-DRL-A/C defeat circuits. Amber turns. VelvetRide shackles. NV241HD, DANA80 3.55, Ziebart'd
Old 04-30-2017

oops! I forgot to mention there are NO TROUBLE CODES.
Max, I would think if there was fuel in the lines it would start, Like I mentioned there is no fuel pressure while cranking 3 or 4 sec. but as soon a I quit cranking I can hear the lift pump running and I have fuel pressure for 25 sec.. I assume the lift pump is supposed to activate when in start or cranking mode.
Jerry, good suggestion, I ask if there would be any problem feeding 12vdc to the lift pump to see if it works in my original thread. I like your ida, did you splice into the normal power feed? I think you probably did. was just woried feeding power up stream out of sequince may damage something in the computer. I don't think I have a vacuum leak or I would show loss or intermittent pressure during the 25 sec. the pump is running after cranking.
I thought the VP44 has it's own pump inside to let you get home?
Thanks for the support guys.
Paul

Last edited by LITEFOOT; 04-30-2017 at 09:22 AM..
Old 04-30-2017

I put a toggle switch in with the center toggle pole going to the lift pump. [ SPDT ] One way, it is connected to the power coming out of the computer, the other way it is hot to the battery. Don't know if you can hurt the stock circuit by backfeeding power by just jumpering 12v to the pump, not worth taking a chance anywhilst.... If you are loosing prime or sucking air, you have to fix that first.. have to show at least some pressure before the injection pump or she will probably never start.
2002 [2001.5] 2500 white CCSB 6spd/stock HO, LT285 DuraTrac's, Ford clearance lights, BD 2-low kit, Bowers idle kit, MWFI VP44@70K ,VulcanKit/StockPump, J&J Ent. SS sideboards, IssPro FP w/idget light , homemade ign.kill-key out idle-DRL-A/C defeat circuits. Amber turns. VelvetRide shackles. NV241HD, DANA80 3.55, Ziebart'd
Old 04-30-2017

Jerry, thanks for clarifying your hookup, when you are feeding 12v to the lift pump you are not sending it up stream to the computer, I will do the same. I will put a V meeter on the pumps normal supply and test during cranking, if no 12v then something is wrong upstream, I will do this before installing switch.
Thanks;
Old 04-30-2017

The switch works great to run the pump manually and purge the system of air when you work on the truck. It also can be used to empty the 36 gallon tank of fuel if you need to by opening the water purge valve on the fuel filter assembly. In case, for some reason, you might have a mixture of diesel and gas in your tank, and need to empty same. Like if you stopped at a station somewhere and for some stupid reason, pumped half your tank full of gas. [ sniff, sniff-sniff ] The Cummins runs pretty good on 50-50 gas once you get it started on the diesel that was in the fuel lines. Won't idle or restart with the gas, though..... not that I would know or something.....

Last edited by JerryKlender; 04-30-2017 at 11:46 AM..