Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > General Diesel Topics > General Diesel
General Diesel Discussion of diesel topics not related to the Dodge Ram Diesel.

Old 08-28-2016

Default Trade time

Wife and i are preparing to move to our next phase, full timing in our rv. I have a 45ft 5th wheel that weighs in at 16k empty. Loaded i'm looking for 18-20k. My current truck is a '02 2500 bone stock with the ho 5.9,6sp manual and 3.55 gears. 300k and still going with no issues.i know i'm way over weight wise with this rig. I pulled it home empty and the truck did alright but really struggled on long hills with the high geared rear axle.i want to go up to a 3500 drw maybe 3:73 rear. I know nothing about the 6.7, egr,dpf,and the rest of the crap you get these days. A lot of the guys we see at the campgrounds are duramax guys, and have done the deletes needed. They tell me the chevy is easier to get freed up and does great when this is done.i'm keeping my '02, don't really know what to look for. Gotta buy, and this,one,will be strictly a tow truck with some touring empty.would you look for anither 5.9, or bite the bullet and go new? Fishing buddy is a dealerand keeps telling me to go new,or at least newer, and,working the 6.7 like i will be is what they want. My duramax bud that does all the work and has the shop they all talk about tells me to come up and see what one looks like that hasn't had any deletes done when they tear it down.

Help me out guys.....ya'll know more than i ever will
Old 08-28-2016

Depending on the laws of your state, with that kind of weight I'd try to find a 4500 and dedicate it soley to the fifth wheel. As for 5.9 or 6.7? Can't tell you off hand, I've only dealt with early non CR 5.9's. If they are reliable enough, I'd opt for the 6.7 only for the displacement. There are plenty of "kits" for EGR and DPF delete out there. State emission laws binding.
Old 08-28-2016

To tell you the truth you couldn't give me a duramax. I guess there ok, but everybody I know has had one never buy a second one. I think it's sad when you buy a truck and have to do upgrades just to pull an RV. But it just comes down to personal preference. With your current truck being bone stock and pulling what your pulling should tell you what you should buy.
I have a '12 that is bone stock with a 6sp manual transmission, and have no problems towing anything I put be hind it. Will I do mods on it? Yes not because I need to, but I want to.
'91.5 somewhat stock w-250 4x4 5sp Except for the EVIL twin turbos, K&N filter, two small shopping cart dents in right door, Monroe SENAS-TRAC rear shocks. cheap $35 air horns. KDP tabbed. South Bend clutch 13-1.25 Con O. Max stixs, 4" Rip Exhaust,No Muffler, Old Smokey fuel pin. EGR rear disc. Engine breathed on by Max.
My Black Cloud Is Back!...
2012 3500 crew cab Ram 6spd manual, 8' box
I'm just so tired of being tired
Now on facebook
Old 08-28-2016

Not wanting to leave dodge either. My '02 is the the best truck i've ever owned. I'm really surprised and the reduced capacity you see when you run numbers on the new 3500s with the 6 sp manual.some hate the 68rfe with yhat kund of weight, others say they live just as long as the aisin. Can ya'll suggest some links so i can study this? Got the rv, now gotta make the decision on the truck. Ain't a chevy man by no means....just surrounded by these hissing duramaxes....love the cabs on the new laramie. We're probably a year or so away from making a move. My '02 has the camper special package if ya'll remember that, if i had 3:73s i might just pull with the old girl.
Old 08-28-2016
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ

My question to you is, what can your wallet handle?

You have a budget for what you want to spend?

By the way welcome.

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 08-29-2016

Thanks for the welcome. I was a member here some time ago, but I lost my log in information. You bring up a good point. I can afford a new truck, but I'm not sure that's the way to go. The only reason I brought up any discussion around the chevy trucks is several of the folks I know around the campgrounds are from the Lousiville, Ky area and own them. They have done the majority of the deletes and have knowledge of this. I don't know anyone that has done the same to the late model Rams. Hoping you guys can help me understand the differences between my 15 yr old 5.9 and the new 6.7s. I do live where there are no emission testing, so is it possible to delete completely the egr, def, dpf? I see kits offered but know nothing about any of it. I picked up a towing sheet on the '16 3500, and it looks like to get the capacity up where it needs to be for us and stay with a 3500, the 6.7, aisin, and the 3:73 is the combo I need. I did find a local '12 3500, with the 68rfe. After reading the carfax it has been sold 4 times since new. Lots of trips back to dealers, all around CEL. Anything ya'll can tell me about differences and the benefits of deleting this stuff is greatly appreciated. I'm looking for info on the aisin vs the 68rfe and weighing those as well.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-29-2016
Super Moderator

I have seen a ton of campers with damage on there front end from the good ole Duramax's nifty little exhaust tail pipe. They get extremely hot when pulling for a long time. I agree with everyone on here. Do what your wallet can handle. I pull mine with ease with all the mods.

--SOLD--2001 3500 SLT SO, 2wd, NV5600

2000 VW TDI (56 MPG)

2012 Keystone Raptor 395LEV
Old 08-31-2016

Pulling a 35 foot toyhauler with my 2500....not the pulling, it is the stopping. Watch traffic in front of you and WAY in front of you. If I upgrade it will be a 3500 8 foot dually with a G56. I know a guy with an 06 3500 nearly identical to my 2500 except for bed length......Hummmmm
'06 2500 Brilliant Black Pearl Thunder Road, QC, 4X4, G56 w/ SBDD, Home Brew in the gearboxes Volant CAI, ATS Arc Flow , Airdog 100, AFE 4" cat back, Smarty JR, Warn lock-outs, drilled and slotted rotors, HBS steering stabilizer, Pacbrake airbags, Bilstiens, RP 15W40 , 2 BIG BALLS (shift knobs) from Geno's, 5th wheel slider, step bars. The next mod is........

'74 Trans Am, someday car.......
'10 Wildwood 356 SRV
'15 Mid-life crisis
'98 Oytota Navalon
Old 08-31-2016

Pulled our 38 foot toy hauler to Florida and back with the 08 2500. I kissed the ground when we got home and got a 14 leftover 3500 DRW 4X4 Aisin with the 3:42 rear. Rated to tow 21K. This thing tows our 16.5K toy hauler like a locomotive. I get on average 10+mpg towing and have seen 20mpg on the highway empty. The Aisin with the E-brake + tow-haul is amazing. Compared to my 68rfe shifts better under load and runs sweet unloaded. I would never in a million years want a stick after using this set up. It just works better than you could ever imagine. Not busting on the 68, but the Aisin is a better running trans for towing heavy having towed this trailer with both. I also see no reason in the world to delete anything either. No problems at all, power to spare, and it just runs good.

Check out the Ram towing guide. The towing capacity jumps pretty big with the Aisin, and you can select different rears to see the difference in capacity. With your trailer you would be close maxed out with the 68rfe and 4:10s. The differences between the 3500 and 4500 are interesting too.

http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_guide/

Enjoy...
3 dogs
2 horses
1 rabbit
1 Excedrin headache
Old 09-02-2016

I'm in the same boat with you. Love my old 5.9, have no intentions of getting rid of it. the 3:55s are not enough, when we brought the rv home the 500 mile trip wasn't bad, but on I-65 I got on some of those long hills and the truck got hot. Glad to hear someone is running the 3:42s and towing heavy and not having issues. When we get closer to going full time is when we need to make the switch.