Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > General Diesel Topics > General Diesel
General Diesel Discussion of diesel topics not related to the Dodge Ram Diesel.

Old 01-05-2016

Default CDL question

Hi gang,
I'm going to try to get a CDL soon but have a question about test questions..
This one is about an overheating engine. The book says pull over and shut the engine off. Mine always gets hotter
Why not let it idle and cool that way?

TIA
01.5,Red QC Sport SWB,HO,6spd,4x4,cowl hood, Drag Comp,4"ex., fuel press. gauge, boost&pyro gauges, bhaf, single Holley lift pump next to the fuel tank/13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, cheapo fuel cooler, Amsoil in the trans. & Valvoline in the pan, 62-65-.70A/R, ARP studs, kevlar/ceramic SD clutch, jammer 100's

Time to turn so's you don't burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreddog View Post
if I get new gutters every year I never need to clean them
True love is when she gives you the ham from her egg mcmuffin
Old 01-05-2016
Super Moderator

Remember this test isn't designed for the everyday mechanic. They have kinda sorta started catering to the everyday guy just looking for a job. Most of these guys are not mechanics by any means. All they know is look at the gauges if something is wrong stop. It depends if the engine is overheating from hard work like pulling Donner or Grapevine then no do not shut it off if overheating it will get hotter before it cools. Pull over and remove the load from the engine. Keep the fan and pump turning to move the fluid and cool it off even helps to turn on cab heater if you can stand it. But if it's overheating due to a mechanical failure like a belt etc then yes, turn it off. Running it will only make it worse. I think that question they are looking for more of the just do it answer. Again some truck drivers nowadays cant even tell you how a diesel engine works. We call them steering wheel holders in the truck drivers world. I am not a truck driver 15 years USAF but i come from a family of truck drivers and Cat engineers in IL. I am sure there are some around here. Its really kind of a catch 22 would like to see the other answers. If you don't it down and it is completely out of antifreeze things will stick together pretty damn quick. If it just from working it too hard then letting it idle will let it cool down. It is a pretty vague question. Most people driving would probably have common sense to say hey i just climbed a huge grade and its hot probably from the grade or hey i am on smooth level ground and it overheated then maybe something is wrong.

Where did you get this question from? Is it one of the online things?

Good luck on your test!

--SOLD--2001 3500 SLT SO, 2wd, NV5600

2000 VW TDI (56 MPG)

2012 Keystone Raptor 395LEV

Last edited by HerkyBird2001; 01-05-2016 at 09:55 PM..
Old 01-06-2016

Thanks Herkybird

Yes. it's on a practice test on more than one site so it must be a fairly generic question.
I'll just do like you say, treat it like a non-mechanic would.
01.5,Red QC Sport SWB,HO,6spd,4x4,cowl hood, Drag Comp,4"ex., fuel press. gauge, boost&pyro gauges, bhaf, single Holley lift pump next to the fuel tank/13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, cheapo fuel cooler, Amsoil in the trans. & Valvoline in the pan, 62-65-.70A/R, ARP studs, kevlar/ceramic SD clutch, jammer 100's

Quote:
Old 01-07-2016
Administrator

Depends on the situation, if the belt's thrown, blown hose, you don't have a choice. These modern trucks will shut down if the temp gets too high, or the coolant level drops. You can over ride the shut down if it has a dash button for it, but that's mainly to get it off the road.
2000QC,SLT,SB,4x4,Intense Blue,Auto,4.10,DSS,AFE Megacannon PRO GUARD-7,silencer ring MIA,Edge Comp-pump wire untapped,Rip's 4in Fair Shake Exhaust,Isspro EVs fuel,boost,pyro,FASS 95/150, S/S '03 trackbar bracket, Thuren '03 trackbar, HTS Ultimate Duty trans w/ billet input & output, 89% Suncoast convertor, 150HP MAXsticks

'06 Liberty CRD, Inferno Red Crystal Pearlcoat, GDE ECO tune

'12 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, Bright Silver Metallic

'98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
Old 01-07-2016

Thanks RAF!

Quote:
Old 01-09-2016

Yeah, the folks that write truck driving tests likely never drove a truck...maybe never even seen one!!!

Here's one for ya...
Which will stop faster, an empty truck on dry road, or a loaded truck on wet road...??
Stock, until...
My Other Truck is a Fire Engine!!
Old 01-09-2016

Rule of thumb for government generated tests. The information they supply is what you use for the test, no mater how wrong it is.
Old 01-09-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokediver View Post
Yeah, the folks that write truck driving tests likely never drove a truck...maybe never even seen one!!!

Here's one for ya...
Which will stop faster, an empty truck on dry road, or a loaded truck on wet road...??
They say the loaded truck stops faster due to greater traction but nothing about the road being wet in that comparison.
What do they say about that one Smoke?

Quote:
Old 01-09-2016

Yep, still the loaded truck.

I understand their concept, better traction, but the laws of physics say 80,000# tends to want to stay in motion more than 25,000#...
Stock, until...
My Other Truck is a Fire Engine!!
Old 01-10-2016

And that is true Smoke, remember the bulk of the weight is behind you.
'91.5 somewhat stock w-250 4x4 5sp Except for the EVIL twin turbos, K&N filter, two small shopping cart dents in right door, Monroe SENAS-TRAC rear shocks. cheap $35 air horns. KDP tabbed. South Bend clutch 13-1.25 Con O. Max stixs, 4" Rip Exhaust,No Muffler, Old Smokey fuel pin. EGR rear disc. Engine breathed on by Max.
My Black Cloud Is Back!...
2012 3500 crew cab Ram 6spd manual, 8' box
I'm just so tired of being tired
Now on facebook