Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > General Diesel Topics > Tires and Wheels
Tires and Wheels This forum is for tire technical discussion . Here you will find critical info what works and what may not.

Old 03-14-2018

They are a high mileage tire, but don't seem to do well off road.
'91.5 somewhat stock w-250 4x4 5sp Except for the EVIL twin turbos, K&N filter, two small shopping cart dents in right door, Monroe SENAS-TRAC rear shocks. cheap $35 air horns. KDP tabbed. South Bend clutch 13-1.25 Con O. Max stixs, 4" Rip Exhaust,No Muffler, Old Smokey fuel pin. EGR rear disc. Engine breathed on by Max.
My Black Cloud Is Back!...
2012 3500 crew cab Ram 6spd manual, 8' box
I'm just so tired of being tired
Now on facebook
Old 03-15-2018

Tires and shocks make the largest impact on ride and handling. My choices are Michelin and Bridgestone. Shocks are Bilstein and KYB. The difference between good and great is usually just a few dollars.......labor is the same.
'06 2500 Brilliant Black Pearl Thunder Road, QC, 4X4, G56 w/ SBDD, Home Brew in the gearboxes Volant CAI, ATS Arc Flow , Airdog 100, AFE 4" cat back, Smarty JR, Warn lock-outs, drilled and slotted rotors, HBS steering stabilizer, Pacbrake airbags, Bilstiens, RP 15W40 , 2 BIG BALLS (shift knobs) from Geno's, 5th wheel slider, step bars. The next mod is........

'74 Trans Am, someday car.......
'10 Wildwood 356 SRV
'15 Mid-life crisis
'98 Oytota Navalon
Old 03-19-2018

I had good results with Geolander ATs. They stayed balanced & I was satisfied with the mileage but I forget what mileage was. I'm cheap so would remember if the ware out early.

Currently running Terra Grapplers and also have good results. My understanding is that they've changed the rubber formula to get better mileage. It doesn't snow here so we don't have to deal with different tires in winter.

No off road to speak of.
2000 Quad Cab,Longbed, NV4500, 410 Gears, 4X4, ISSPro gauges, Thuren 3rd Gen Trackbar (beautiful), AGR Steering Box - box works - NOPE, spoke too soon. Never AGR again. 2 dumped fluid & lost brakes & steering, 4th is too loose. AGR = pp quality control & long wait for replacement (doing something different. Will update with what works), DSS Steering Brace, AirDog 100 = 13# solid, Rusty Doors (POR15 at the bottom for now covered with color match Rustoleum)
Old 03-19-2018

I had some Nitto Dura Grapplers on my 03 2500. They were good tires, but really soft and did not last very long (unable to give the mileage out of them out of sheer forgetfulness)...But it wasn't much out of them. (Keep in mind this was 2006 time frame, unsure if they may have changed.) Replaced them with Toyo's and sold the truck shortly after but they seemed to wear much better than the Nitto's did. Put Hankook on an 06 3500 DRW and they were ok, but the driver side front one did separate (luckily only running about 40mph). I should mention that the Hankooks were over 5 years old, and the truck was not used often (nor pulling), and even sat while deployed for a year at a time, with the sun probably doing most of the damage. I only suggest that if using the dually to tow a fair amount of weight and doing it often, get a well known and properly rated tire. Lots of middle of the road priced tires that have favorable reliability and reviews. -- I went with the hankooks because they were extremely cheap, and I only pulled a 20ft open trailer with a few toys on it very minimal distances (50 miles or less.)
Old 03-23-2018

Since 90% of the truck use is off pavement I run Toyo M55's.
They are the same tires the loggers use on their trucks for running over blast rock.
Noisy for the highway, but great off road.
STOLEN: '98 Ram Dually quad cab; 4X4; auto with mystery switch; 4:10's; BHAF; 4" MBRP exhaust; 3K Governor spring kit; #5 plate; timing @15.5; 63/65/14 turbo; 90 hp injectors; Isspro pyro, boost & tranny temp gauges; DSS steering stabilizer; adjustable heavy duty track bar, Snow Water/Methanol Injection Tow-Max System.
Old 04-07-2018

I'll just say, the Nexen Rodian XVT's on my 07 have 100k miles of pulling hard all day every day.
I can't believe it! Not sure why...unless it's running em at 50psi..?
Most guys get 25- 30k doing what I'm doing.
Stock, until...
My Other Truck is a Fire Engine!!
Old 04-07-2018

Well the money I HAD seems to have evaporated. GRRRRR
30' Damon Escaper 5'er 12,000#
Old 04-09-2018

I know the feeling. I think the same cloud that sucked your money up has visited me a couple times over here in CA.
Old 05-31-2018

Got those 6 Nitto Dura Grapplers on the truck! Very tough looking tire. Very quiet. Nice stiff sidewalls. Can pictures still be put on here?
We'll see how the wear over time, but they sure look like they would outlast the Kelly's, Yokohama's, and Coopers I've had before.
Cost: $147 each, $170+/- mounted and balanced at Walmart. I hated to go there, but couldn't beat the price. They also had to order them in. Of course, like every other tire/wheel work I've ever had done they mounted the duals without the valve stems aligned.
30' Damon Escaper 5'er 12,000#