Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1998 - 2002) 24-valve engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 01-08-2013

OK, so here are the results of my fuel pressure tests. Kind of confused cause doesn't match what i have read here or in the Service Manual.

At the Inlet fuel pressure port (behind the Fuel filter canister)
Cranking - no pressure
after cranking stopped - pump kicked on and pressure jumped to 18 psi

Running idle - 16 psi
Running WOT - 12 psi

At the Outlet fuel pressure port (on the Injection Pump)
Running idle - 15 psi
Running WOT - 11 psi

Thoughts? Truck is driving at slow speeds, actually feels kind of normal until i try to get up and go. Haven't been able to "get on it" too much today, been rainy and misty all day. Please let me know what you guys think.

Thanks.
Old 01-08-2013
Super Moderator

Those pressures look great for stock lift pump. Can rule that out. Probably looking at a sensor or possibly IP.

Boost leak? How much boost you making?

When you get on it WOT lots of smoke? Dark black?

--SOLD--2001 3500 SLT SO, 2wd, NV5600

2000 VW TDI (56 MPG)

2012 Keystone Raptor 395LEV
Old 01-08-2013
Super Moderator

Weird question but when you put all the fuel system back together is everything tight? Not sucking air possibly somewhere?

2000 VW TDI (56 MPG)

Old 01-08-2013

Normally getting up to 32 lbs boost. with this problem though, it isn't getting to climb that much, when looked at it the other day was in the mid 20 at most. but with the truck cutting out, it is not getting much chance to build.

regarding the fuel lines and everything, double checked all fittings when put back together. of course was having issue before dropped the tank too.

regarding smoke, truck doesn't really smoke, at least not that I can see. Once I jammed a bunch of fuel in there to mess with a guy who cut me off, that got me some black stuff . But usually no. I will get out on the highway tomorrow and let you know what I see.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks.
Old 01-08-2013
Super Moderator

Well no fuel equals no boost and no fuel can also lead to bucking. I am lost got to think some more. I am also expert.

MAX?????CHRIS?????

2000 VW TDI (56 MPG)

Old 01-08-2013
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ

Sounds like to me you have bad fuel. Either water or jelled up fuel. But being that you had a tank that was garbage, even a good filter wont stop the crud.

Your in a crap shoot now, contamination that bad will require the injection system to be torn down and inspected.

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 01-08-2013

With the engine running, open the drain lever on the fuel filter and catch some fuel in a clean pan so you can see what's in it. A pint or so should be enough.
Maybe you released some air in the system, like from the fuel filter, when you stomped the pedal. Test driving close to home might show improvement with time/miles.
01.5,Red QC Sport SWB,HO,6spd,4x4,cowl hood, Drag Comp,4"ex., fuel press. gauge, boost&pyro gauges, bhaf, single Holley lift pump next to the fuel tank/13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, cheapo fuel cooler, Amsoil in the trans. & Valvoline in the pan, 62-65-.70A/R, ARP studs, kevlar/ceramic SD clutch, 7x.013" Maxstix

Time to turn so's you don't burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar View Post
If you remove the gutters, you won't have to clean them. Problem solved..
True love is when she gives you the ham from her egg mcmuffin
Old 01-08-2013

Hi All,

Thank you for all the feedback. After filling up with new fuel and adding some power service, truck is running a little better, less bucking, but still missing a ton of power and still has some hesitation. Driving home tonight could only get about 21-22 lbs boost. At this point, i think i am going to take a sample of the fuel to make sure nothing else floating around, then try and bleed any air out of the lines. Kind of last ditch effort before taking a look at the injectors and HP lines, as suggested.

Unfortunatley, i am going to be traveling starting this friday and will not be back in town until the following Saturday late. So first chance to look at it will be just shy of 2 weeks from now.

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions in the meantime. I will post what I find when back in town.

Thanks.
Old 01-09-2013
Administrator

Those numbers are good for a stock lift pump.
2000QC,SLT,SB,4x4,Intense Blue,Auto,4.10,DSS,AFE Megacannon PRO GUARD-7,silencer ring MIA,Edge Comp-pump wire untapped,Rip's 4in Fair Shake Exhaust,Isspro EVs fuel,boost,pyro,FASS 95/150, S/S '03 trackbar bracket, Thuren '03 trackbar, HTS Ultimate Duty trans w/ billet input & output, 89% Suncoast convertor, 150HP MAXsticks

'06 Liberty CRD, Inferno Red Crystal Pearlcoat, GDE ECO tune

'12 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, Bright Silver Metallic

'98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
Old 01-21-2013

Truck fixed!! After traveling for the past week and a half, i was not looking forward to tearing apart the fuel injection system. When I got back, I decided to take out the Banks system to rule it out as a possible problem before moving forward.

Low and behold, after removing the stock intake elbow and getting the throttle bracket assembly out of the way, I noticed the connection to the fuel pump lead was loose. Redid the connection with new hardware and truck is back running smooth. Talk about your all time "timing" coincidences.

Sorry for putting everyone through the ringer here, looks like this loose connection and the rust I saw in the filter and tank took us on a wild goose chase. Unfortunately, I could not see that connection until i took the other stuff off. But looks like the fuel filter has done it's job and kept that rust from getting into the injection system.

Thanks for everyone's help. Wish most problems could be fixed by redoing a wire connection.

Last edited by blevonius; 01-21-2013 at 09:38 AM.. Reason: formatting

Tags
engine temp, fuel pressure, missing fuel, truck bucking