Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > General Diesel Topics > RV and Medium / Heavy Duty Applications
RV and Medium / Heavy Duty Applications NEW! We've added a forum to cover questions relating to diesel powered Recreational Vehicles, and Medium / Heavy Duty Trucks! Post your questions here!

Old 08-15-2010

Default 5er hitches

What a funny odd twisty chain of events yesterday. Took off to fly to Custer, SD yesterday in typical beautiful gorgeous Colorado weather, knowing Custer was overcast and rain. Decided half way up that this was a cancel, since I HAD to return on Sunday or be stuck in Custer until their weather cleared and the forecast thunder boomers for CO dissipated (or just as likely - didn't appear) today. So, stopped for a coffee in Kimball, NE, made sure all the necessary parts and pieces were still attached to the plane and headed home.

Got home, grabbed my lovely and talented better half and headed out Truck Camper shopping. Looked at a few, found one that we both liked but on closer inspection, discovered roof/wall leaks. Having already rebuilt the cabover bunk on my C, I admitted to myself that I'm currently "tired of projects" right now, so we moved on. Since we had previously checked out a used 30' 5er close to home, I suggested we look at some smaller 5ers "just to see how they compare in size and layout" to the bigger ones. So, long story short, I went truck camper shopping, and my wife fell in love with a 5er.

Two or three times during the day, when she would spot a 11' TC or a 35' trailer, she would say "I guess you could get a bigger truck" Don't shoot me, but my response continues to be "I love my old truck!"

So, today we're crunching the numbers, but I think we're pulling the trigger on a Keystone Laredo http://www.keystone-laredo.com/

Back to the thread title - what 5er hitches do you like? I know the Reese (nothing negative that I know about), the B&W Turnover Ball and Companion (heard wonderful reviews, but haven't needed a goose neck hitch in years and don't anticipate needing one in the future, so is this still a good option?) I've heard "stay away from RBW" but no supporting reason why.

SOLD 97 2500 4x4 ExtCab LB Auto; Isspro gauges (pyro, boost, tranny); 75hp Maxsticks, MaxTrans auto, KDP killed; BD DSS; 3rd gen 17" wheels; GM 1ton rear brake cylinders; Westin step bars; Pakbrake exhaust brake, TS Performance TC Lockup.

Last edited by gkainz; 08-15-2010 at 07:15 AM..
Old 08-15-2010

The one advantage of the B&W, is a "clean" bed when you don't need the hitch.
Old 08-15-2010

I had a pop-up-hitch on my '97.

http://www.popuphitch.com/popup.htm

I liked it.
STOLEN: '98 Ram Dually quad cab; 4X4; auto with mystery switch; 4:10's; BHAF; 4" MBRP exhaust; 3K Governor spring kit; #5 plate; timing @15.5; 63/65/14 turbo; 90 hp injectors; Isspro pyro, boost & tranny temp gauges; DSS steering stabilizer; adjustable heavy duty track bar, Snow Water/Methanol Injection Tow-Max System.
Old 08-15-2010

That's a nice 5er. as far as the hitch if you decide on a goose neck check with the manufactuer because most won't warranty the rv if you use one.
'91.5 somewhat stock w-250 4x4 5sp Except for the EVIL twin turbos, K&N filter, two small shopping cart dents in right door, Monroe SENAS-TRAC rear shocks. cheap $35 air horns. KDP tabbed. South Bend clutch 13-1.25 Con O. Max stixs, 4" Rip Exhaust,No Muffler, Old Smokey fuel pin. EGR rear disc. Engine breathed on by Max.
My Black Cloud Is Back!...
2012 3500 crew cab Ram 6spd manual, 8' box
I'm just so tired of being tired
Now on facebook
Old 08-15-2010

I have a Valley Towing (www.vtowing.com) UBS (Under Bed System) sliding fifth wheel and like it a lot. It's mounting rails are under the floor of the bed and when you take the hitch out (takes about 3minutes) you put some rubber plugs in the 4holes in the floor and that then leaves you with a flat floor.
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Crewcab SRW 4x4, Silver, RamBox, Everything except DVD, Dick Cepek Fun Country LT285/70R17E Tires, Amp Research PowerSteps, Access Roll-up Box Cover and soon my Espar Heater with cellphone remote.

2009 Massey Ferguson GC2400 Tractor/Loader/Snowblower

2013 VW Touareg TDi, White, Full Load

2007 Haulmark 3329DS 45foot motorcoach on Freightliner Coronado, Detroit 515hp, Meritor 12sp auto shift, 10kw Onan generator, all the toys
Old 08-15-2010

I like a goose neck hitch adaptor on the 5ver trailers. Looked at a lot of them at campgrounds..it is catching on.

Here is one of the best and cheapest places to by the Laredo from Keystone. My friend just bought one here and couldn't be happier. The price difference was still 6K after shipping. You can really save some money by just driving out East of Cincinnati and enjoy the pull home.

http://www.holmanrv.com/
Old 08-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreddog View Post
That's a nice 5er. as far as the hitch if you decide on a goose neck check with the manufactuer because most won't warranty the rv if you use one.
I've heard that as well from a number of different sources.

SOLD 97 2500 4x4 ExtCab LB Auto; Isspro gauges (pyro, boost, tranny); 75hp Maxsticks, MaxTrans auto, KDP killed; BD DSS; 3rd gen 17" wheels; GM 1ton rear brake cylinders; Westin step bars; Pakbrake exhaust brake, TS Performance TC Lockup.
Old 08-15-2010

My truck (shortbed) came with the B&W turnover ball gooseneck hitch when I bought it. It didn't have the Companion fifth wheel adapter and shortly after I bought it I found a brand new Companion on Craig's list so after reading about it decided to buy it in the case I needed to pull a 5er. While looking at 5er's at a dealer lot the salesman told me that I would need a sliding hitch because my Companion is fixed and I would damage my cab trying to manuver the 5er. I can see that I probably can't turn as sharp but is my companion useless? The previous owner pulled 35-40' gooseneck cattle trailers regularly so if need be I guess I could put a gooseneck on a 5er if I buy one.
Old 08-16-2010

I needed a slider for our 5'er toyhauler, so I had a Superglide, however, if I had a long bed truck I would have bought the B&W turnover with the companion hands down. The companion mounts into the ball mount of the g/n hitch and uses a conventional 5er plate, so still a 5er platform as far as the RV is concerned, plus, you still have a g/n option should the situation arise that you want to use it. I figured if I was going to spend the money on a hitch, I might as well get one that covers both basis, just in case. Plus, as already mentioned you end up with a clean bed with the companion removed.

Most RV manufacturers will void the frame warranty if you pull with a g/n adapter, as they add more stress to the frame by increasing the leverage on the pin box.

If you really don't think you would ever use the g/n feature of the B&W there is nothing wrong with the Reese and they still seem to be well regarded on the RV forums.
2004.5 SLT QCSB 600CTD/6sp, FASS 150/150, Jacobs Brake, Westach Dual Gauge (EGT/Boost) w/SRT10 pillar mount, MBRP Muffler "kit", Rokktech CPS (Removed), Westin Nerf Bars, Firestone Riderite Airbags & onboard air w/dual control, ARE Topper Shell...
Two '05 Kawasaki Prairie 700 4x4 ATV's (his & hers) and a '06 Kawasaki 50cc for the daughter
'66 Mustang Coupe, Modified 302/C-4
'09 Ford Escape Limited (hers)

Last edited by BrianJ; 08-16-2010 at 08:35 AM..
Old 08-16-2010

Going on 5 years with my Reese hitch and no problems (knock on wood). Just make sure if you go with a Fifth wheel hitch to get the 4 way tilt head, less strain on the pin box.

I would also stay away from the rear bar locking system have seen them notch the pin on the back side. Use a clam or J-hook type of latching system.