Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > General Diesel Topics > RV and Medium / Heavy Duty Applications
RV and Medium / Heavy Duty Applications NEW! We've added a forum to cover questions relating to diesel powered Recreational Vehicles, and Medium / Heavy Duty Trucks! Post your questions here!

Old 10-11-2007

Default Re: Tech, Says Stay Away From 6.7 Cummins For 08

Even a Cummins will break down, that is what I was told buy an authorized Cummins parts dealer on tuesday when my lift pump got weak, and needed replacement, no matter the year. Still better than a Powerstroke or Duramax
B&W Turn-over-ball/ 13,500lbs+ GTWR/hauled daily
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
4"Straight exhaust
Amsoil dual-bypass filter system/15w-40 12-TBN
44,145 miles and counting without oil change
Amsoil Diesel Additives/ Amsoil HPI injector 2/stroke TC-W3
Amsoil Dealer/ Synthetic lubricants in/on everything that moves
PML/yourcovers 5qt differential cover 75w-140
S&B Diesel Performance Intake
MotoMetal 18x9 Copper Zeons LTZ 285/60/18 extra load rated
Old 11-30-2007

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CaptainCummins</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> All in all, My next truck is gonna say HEMI on the side [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img] </div></div>

This does'nt sound very encouraging. Especially if a Cummins doctor says it.
Mods: Custom built GB trans, & T/C | aFe stage II /PG 7 airfilter | aFe Blade Runner Intake Manifold| DSS | HRVP44 | 3rd Gen track bar kit | FASS 150 | Smarty | MagHytec rearend cover | SPS 62/14 turbo | HX40 Downpipe | HTT quickspool exhaust manifold | DDP 110HP sticks | FIrestone airbags | Quadzilla Adrenaline | Magnaflow 4" stainless exh | Leer cap | Bilstien HD shocks | Garmin GPS | Cobra 200 GTL DX CB
Old 12-01-2007

Send a message via ICQ to CaptainCummins Send a message via AIM to CaptainCummins Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainCummins

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trailrider</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CaptainCummins</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> All in all, My next truck is gonna say HEMI on the side [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img] </div></div>

This does'nt sound very encouraging. Especially if a Cummins doctor says it. </div></div>

Its really quite ridiculous, the new Cummins engines are by far the simplest compared to the Cats and the Mercedes. The DPF on the big motors run between 4 and 7 grand to buy outright. The advantages of owning a diesel are gone, they now get terrible milage, they're hard as hell to work on, and they're firetrucking expensive and its hard to find anyone that can work on em.

A little more torque is really all you get now. I guess you can say thanks to the EPA
Old 12-01-2007

Send a message via AIM to ColdChuck Send a message via Yahoo to ColdChuck

Captain, (and all others)

Have you ever seen Cummins QSK 60 engines? If you ever come by my neck of woods, I would be more than happy to take you on a personal tour of my gold mining company mine site. We run dual tired trucks with 2700HP QSK60 engines powering 4,000 volt A/C alternator carrying 300 ton payloads. Two of our Hitachi shovels has twin 1800 HP QSK45 engines powering the hydraulics. We ordered 1 more large shovel (Komatsu) from Germany and that will have twin engines also. Its due here in summer '08.
QSK60 has common rail system with 8 turbos. QSK is same but 4 turbos.

We got 4 more new CAT 983D trucks (260ton payload) with 3516 engines.

'04 3500 HO Laramie quad cab Black SRW SB 48RE 3.73 4x4 w/ESOF. AIRAID air filter/intake tube. Sprayed in bedliner. 50HP maxstick. PopUp GN hitch. Ranchhand Legend Bumper/brush guard. Silverstar HL bulb, Milemarker Hyd. winch. Firestone airbags. Bushwacker Extenda Flare. ATS deep tranny pan. Have tranny gauge but need overhead pod.

Wife - '04.5 F150 5.4L super crew 4x4 lariat fully loaded.

OLD: '99 F350 7.3L PSD lariat SRW 4x4.

Resistance is futile. You must convert.
Old 12-21-2007

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CaptainCummins</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trailrider</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CaptainCummins</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> All in all, My next truck is gonna say HEMI on the side [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img] </div></div>

This does'nt sound very encouraging. Especially if a Cummins doctor says it. </div></div>

Its really quite ridiculous, the new Cummins engines are by far the simplest compared to the Cats and the Mercedes. The DPF on the big motors run between 4 and 7 grand to buy outright. The advantages of owning a diesel are gone, they now get terrible milage, they're hard as hell to work on, and they're firetrucking expensive and its hard to find anyone that can work on em.

A little more torque is really all you get now. I guess you can say thanks to the EPA </div></div>

I agree with that statement....mine might not say HEMI...but my truck should last a long time...hopefully. Diesel fuel has just got out of hand, the parts will drain a savings account really quick and fuel costs...well...most of us are feeling that right now.
Old 06-08-2008

I was never one for the conspiracy theories, I always preferred to think that the people making decisions like emissions controls on a diesel were simply idiots.

Then I built my first 'Data Warehouse' for a company. I can assure you these decisions are very well thought out, planned, and executed.

What worries me anymore is the intent.
4" - 5" Silverline Stacks
ISSPro Guages
Fancy Steel Bumpers
Smoked LED Cab, Brake, and Running Lights
235-85-16 LRG

2009 Black 2500 ST 4x4 Auto
S&B CAI
Fancy Steel Bumpers
55 Watt HID
Smoked LED Cab and Brake Lights
315-70-17 Goodyear Duratrac LRD
Old 06-08-2008

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nord</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

All of this monkey business because our esteemed government and our automakers have somehow convinced themselves that we're not fit (or that it's too expensive) to add either LP or alcohol/water injection to our diesels. </div></div>
Unless the engine shuts itself down when it's empty, who's actually going to keep the system full or look for a simple solution to unplug it.
Old 06-12-2008

With EPA mandates, it can only get worse! Yes, the benefits of diesel are now gone, why??? Government involvement! I honestly believe that US auto makers will be a thing of the past. Just a matter of time American made cars and trucks will no longer exist, because we can't really compete. EPA does nothing to increase mileage and only detracts, cost the consumer more, with more costly repairs and they have to run so damn hot to burn those emissions.. We continue to give the store away and drive down the road to being just another third world country.
04 Laramie (H) 2500 HO QC 4X4 48RE 3:73 LS Putco Boss Bars LineX AFE Stage II Silver Stars 956 Moto's high idle ROKK sensor FASS MagHytec Diffs & DD trans pan

The Second Amendment is only vague if:
1. You cannot read and comprehend the English language
2. Choose to selectively alter the meaning of "the people" from amendment to amendment
3. Have never read any of the writings of the Founders

Anything else is a willful effort to twist the meaning of the Constitution to fit an agenda, or profound stupidity."
Old 06-12-2008

You have 2 conflicting agencies.
Motor vehicle safety standards brought the weights back up to what they were 25 years ago.
Rough to get mileage when your compact weighs 2 tons.
Old 06-16-2008

Send a message via ICQ to CaptainCummins Send a message via AIM to CaptainCummins Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainCummins

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deezilfitter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nord</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

All of this monkey business because our esteemed government and our automakers have somehow convinced themselves that we're not fit (or that it's too expensive) to add either LP or alcohol/water injection to our diesels. </div></div>
Unless the engine shuts itself down when it's empty, who's actually going to keep the system full or look for a simple solution to unplug it.
</div></div>

Wait till 2010 when your filling your urea tank, from what I understand the engine will derate when the tank runs dry