Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Archived Threads > Archive: Technical Info: 3rd Generation
Archive: Technical Info: 3rd Generation This forum has now been closed to replies and new posts, but can still be searched and read. Please post new threads in one of the new 3rd Gen technical Forums. Archive contains Technical discussions and questions relating to third generation (2003 - 2006) trucks.

Old 01-28-2006

Default How good is the stock filter system for our fuel?

I have some free fuel that was supposed to be from a clean source and was being used regularly. How ever when i pumped a Jerry can full i noticed a very small amount of debris in it. I have it stored in a 50 gal barrel and was wondering if our stock fuel filter system is good enough to not worry about it. It definately should not be dirty fuel and was used in big rigs and loaders.

SOLD 2003 2500 SLT 6spd, 35"procomp Xtreme Mud Terrains 3" leveling kit, 3.73 gears, Smarty, Isspro pillar mount gauges, Power Wagon Flares, Linex, Fass 95/150, South Bend con fe clutch, 90 hp DDP injectors, and a set of Custom PDR TWIN turbos.
Old 01-28-2006

Default Re: How good is the stock filter system for our fuel?

the worst that would happen is a clogged filter strain it thru several layers of pantyhose or a paint filter and should go thru no problems

2005 slt 2500 reg cab 2wd 3.73 auto
2005 SLT 2500 3.73 Automatic, reg cab, spray in liner, stull runnin boards,12 volt winch power to bed, slide out loading ramp 4ft by 8ft.Bone stock silencer now MIA 95 gph fass adjustable pump and straw kit
06 dodge 1/2 ton 2wd gasser 4.7 l auto [replacement for giving the son the ford] went to my mother 2016 1500 5.7hemi 10000 original miles

2014 Cadillac CTS 2.0 turbo
Old 01-28-2006

DO NOT DO IT

50 gal fuel = $122.50

Injectors going out and having your truck in the shop for six weeks while you call the crysler complaint line unil they fianlly warranty your pickup = I don't want to think about it.

Three rules to fuel:

1: Always get good fuel from a reputable supplier.

2: Change filter every 5K.

3: Run Marvel Mystery Oil and Power Service in at least every other tank if not every tank.

I will now get off of my soapbox.
05.0 3500 DRW QC 6-spd Silver Big Horn, Ranchhand front-end replacement, Bradford Built flatbed, big rig Cummins mud flaps, Airaid intake. Intake baffles, silencer ring, cat, and fold flat floor in the dump.

New truck: 07 3500 C&C SLT crew, 6-sp, 4x4, 6.7L, AKA The Gutless Wonder Inferno red Bradford Built Flatbed 94" X 112" Yeah its huge, Ranchand Front end replacement, Haven't titched her yet,
Old 01-28-2006

I couldn't find anything at Dodge or Cummins, that talked about using Marvel Mystery Oil or Power Service products at all!?
Bekim
###
2004.5 Ram 2500, SLT, 2WD LWB Cummins 600, Bully Dog Triple Dog with Outlook Monitor, BHAF with Outerwears, 4" ANSA Silverline turbo back exhaust(no cat) flow thru muffler, Oilguard bypass oil filter, second lift pump
Old 01-28-2006
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ

Using MMO and PS is done to keep the fuel system lubricated .

If you use the fuel ,go and get a funnel that has a strainer in it ,this will prevent the junk from getting into the tank. [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif[/img]

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 01-29-2006

You should be just fine using it! As long as it isn't old fuel (After a year diesel starts going downhill. Your truck won't run very good if it's older and as it get's even older your truck will finally just not run!).

Do strain it well before you put it in! Things big enough to see easily will help plug the strainer in the tank (On the pick-up tube or in tank lift pump). The factory filter will catch most everything else down to about 12 or 15 microns. Having a better filter would be a good idea (Cat makes a good synthetic media that filters down to 2 microns). Since the factory doesn't put one on; maybe it isn't necessary....?

Dan

(Is there any more? I could use some affordable fuel [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] )
73 International 2X4 1210 Crew Cab Just Waiting to be a CTD! 76 Scout: Looking for a 4BT!!
Old 01-30-2006

Thanks for the replys. The free fuel seems to work my way every now and then which is a great deal i just wont run it exclusively. I will keep it mixed with new fuel and keep using my racor fuel conditioner and hopefully all wil be good. I have a hand fuel pump and filter system that is not quite setup yet untill then i will have to just skim the top and hope not to put to much crap in the tank.it looks pretty clean i think most of the crap has settled at the bottom of the barrel.

SOLD 2003 2500 SLT 6spd, 35"procomp Xtreme Mud Terrains 3" leveling kit, 3.73 gears, Smarty, Isspro pillar mount gauges, Power Wagon Flares, Linex, Fass 95/150, South Bend con fe clutch, 90 hp DDP injectors, and a set of Custom PDR TWIN turbos.