Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Archived Threads > Archive: Technical Info: 3rd Generation
Archive: Technical Info: 3rd Generation This forum has now been closed to replies and new posts, but can still be searched and read. Please post new threads in one of the new 3rd Gen technical Forums. Archive contains Technical discussions and questions relating to third generation (2003 - 2006) trucks.

Old 01-26-2006

Default 04 dodge ram trans question

Hi, new here and we have an 04 ram turbo diesel with the 48re, 2 wheel drive. It will not shift to OD and there are no trouble codes in the computer. I have changed the od/tcc solonoid, but it does not help. The TCC still works, and the PCM is commanding the 3-4 shift, but no go. Any ideas? Thanks,

Mike

PS, 48,000 miles.
Old 01-26-2006

Default Re: 04 dodge ram trans question

Tim would know, but check the trans relay on the inner fender. Swap it with one of the others. It's in the box behind the battery.
'96 Ram 2500 CTD, 4x4, homebuilt flatbed, 3:55's, posi1 ton brake cylinders. ISSPRO gauges. Thuren Fab track bar. Skyjacker D25's. DSS, HD steering.
Exhaust; Schwitzer S300G 57/65/14, 4" turbo-back, 5" turnout stacks.
Motor; BHAF, #100 fuel plate. AFC mods. GS shimmed. 306hp/743tq
Trans; Intelligent Engineering billet input shaft. Dunrite VB and single disc TC. Burt Brown rebuild/upgrade.

The "new" toy, '81 D150, 2WD, short bed, 4BTA conversion underway!!
Old 01-27-2006

Since the pcm is commanding the solenoid on, I feel the relay is functioning. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2006

Just put a test light on the wire for the OD solonoid and drive it, that makes sure that its actually getting the ground signal to the solonoid. Light on, solonoid off. Light off, ground command. If the scanner reports the command but the light remains on then it has a bad connection or PCM. If signaling is normal the its either a VB problem or the fourth clutch, clutch housing or piston. The early years of this design had a problem of the release check ball falling out of the clutch housing. It still happens once in a great while if the housing didnt get the stamp right. There is also a plastic restricter that can come out the same way.

The VB problem could be the OD shift valve stuck fro some sort of debris, or the quick fill valve stuck. Was there anything in the pan when you changed the solonoids?
Old 01-31-2006

There was a little metal on the magnet. I've pulled it out and don't see anything still, and have went through the unit and it still has no fourth. The tcc works, so I'm gonna check out the signal coming to the trans.
Old 01-31-2006

I didn't find a thing wrong with the electronic control system, so I replaced the valve body and that fixed it. Thanks for your help.