Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Archived Threads > Archive: Technical Info: 3rd Generation
Archive: Technical Info: 3rd Generation This forum has now been closed to replies and new posts, but can still be searched and read. Please post new threads in one of the new 3rd Gen technical Forums. Archive contains Technical discussions and questions relating to third generation (2003 - 2006) trucks.

Old 01-26-2006

Default Re: Looking at Dodge/Cummins.....Is tranny any good?

I dont have to own any of them to tell you if they are good or bad. Thats because I work on all of them. I just pulled the repair records for the three transmissions in question. The last 12 months, only in the shop I am at currently, I still want to pull the records of 10 others too. In just the one shop 37 Allisons were repaired. 28 Torq shifts. And for the 48RE, 0, none, nada.

The Allisons were by far the most expensive trans to fix, they dont simply burn out, the break things, HIGH dollar things.

The Torq shifts, had less hard part damage than the Allsions but burned the clutch sets easier.

Actually the predessor to the Torq shift, the 4R100 and E4OD had less problems than the latest Ford trans.

As far as the 48RE convertor being weaker, the Allison and the 48RE torque convertors are allmost identicle, some of the parts actually interchange.

I did a work up on how much a comparable rebuild on the 48RE would cost including the average hard part failure from the 47RE, everytime its half or less the cost of the other two.

Now thats not to say that the 48RE needs improving, hardly REPLACEING better discribes how I feel about it. It is of a very antiquated design. Weaker?, not a chance! It is way past time to get their act together and get more modern with their autos. Allisons, BAH! Big mistake if they considered that! How about a Daimler Benz auto from their lower end of the HD truck line. Its a six speed auto, will out perform any of the US built trans for these trucks and MUCH more reliable. Also perfectly matched for the output of the common rail Cummins!
Old 01-26-2006

Amen!
Old 01-26-2006

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'm a trans tech in a Dodge dealer. 25 years experiance. Dodge transmissions suck big time. </div></div>Mike, honestly, how many 48RE tranny's did you work on in 2005 not counting fluid changes? It's ok if you tell us you only work on mini-vans. We know all about those trannys.

Isspro gauges, Smarty, Quad Race (pressure only), Silent Might Muffler, and Pro-Gaurd 7 air filter with my stock air box and run 1200* EGT @ 65mph pulling 11K on a 7% grade.
Old 01-26-2006

If Dodge approves and provides the softward for the e-brake on the 05's I'll be a very happy camper.

It's the only thing it's missing IMO!
Old 01-26-2006

My personal opinion is that if you are going to hot rod, get an automatic. If you are going to pull a heavy load or run a lot in four wheel drive where you need precise control, get the standard.

My crew has Fords, Duramaxs, Dodges, and even a stray Toyota or two. I have used Dodges myself.

Out of the diesel pickups I see, the automatic transmission failures are most frequent on the Duramax, the Ford is next, and then the Dodge. The Toyotas are all gas, and a total embarassment, nothing ever breaks on them - but they are too small to do real work too!

On the standard transmissions, they all break on Saturday night after a few rounds and a couple of drags at the local measured quarter. The automatics handle that sort of thing much better, and never do the Saturday night break thing.

Remember, these are oil field guys, and rougher than a cobb on their trucks.
Old 01-26-2006
alrit

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> In just the one shop 37 Allisons were repaired. 28 Torq shifts. And for the 48RE, 0, none, nada.
</div></div>BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

Kinda takes the wind out of the ole sails when to comes to the "Allison is a better tranny" urban myth. [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-26-2006

Well, I can speak from my personal experience.

I am an oilfield guy, and I work in harsh northern stuff, and about 2-3h off road on BAD logging roads.

I haul the same tools with each truck I had.

Up hills here, my dodge takes the most throttle to climb it, trans temp is the highest (yes, i have a gauge), power seems the worst and the converter stalls like crazy. The dmax took LESS throttle to climb it, converter never gave me problems or made me notice how bad it stalls, it got better milage, and was FASTER empty and WAY faster loaded then my dodge....

Now, when the converter locks, the dodge is great...but the thing is, it does not work nearly as good as the allison..

I still like the dodge better then its '05 dmax counterpart, hence why I bought it, I'm just saying what driving impression I get.

This is all with stock power and tires btw...now i have 37s and an edge.
Old 01-27-2006

I've got 55k on my 48re. Just changed fluid and filter for the 1st time.(Tim please don't kick my A$$!!) No problems at all, nada. I run my Bully Dog on extreme most times, unless I'm towing. The fluid was still pink and smelled A-OK. I was VERY leary about getting a Dodge auto, after the 47re problems, but I have not been let down yet! I would venture to say that 99% of most tranny problems can be narrowed down to user error, or lack of mait. (that's me ) Thanks, Tim for the insight!!
Diablo Sport Power Puck
3.73 LTD Slip
MB Quart/Alpine/Phoenix Gold System
Inferno Red
Smith's Ultimate Linings Spray-in Bed Liner
Reese 16k Dual Pivot Hitch
Firestone RideRite Airbags
Keystone Laredo 315RL Fifth Wheel
SWEEEEEEET
Old 01-27-2006

I have 20k on mine, no mechanical problems....and dont really expect any. That being said, I do think the TC Sucks, it doesnt let you maximize the power usage of the cummins, it's missing one or two gears which would improve mileage and drivability,....it's shifting algorithms appear to be inconsistant at best, grade breaking sucks compared to the others, and mines an 05 w/o OD lockout....

But I love the truck, I believe the tranny will be reliable, and as a package i've had good luck with dodge trucks!

IMHO, the ford's a pos, and I dont like the car looking GM,....if the GM looked like a real truck (4x4 taller than a honda accord, and with bigger tires, not 245's) , and I was buying today, I might be in an LBZ!

Drive'm and make up your own mind....the 48re will be reliable (just is outdated in functionality)....so i'd based it off of driving impressions!
Old 01-27-2006

I have 280,000km's on my 48RE (174,000miles) and it's completetly original except for several fluid and filter changes. [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif[/img]

I put my EZ on (60HP setting) at around 20,000km's and this is now 260,000km's later. I had a trans cooler line blown that caused some fluid loss and some weird actions but this was fixed and the trans went back to normal. This thing is near bullet proof.

The Allison and TQShift have a much better feel to them and work very nicely where the 48RE does'nt but I sure can't call my 48RE a POS. After all my truck has been through, it's working just fine! [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif[/img]

04' Yamaha Grizzly, 27" ITP 589's and aluminum wheels plus a bunch of other cool stuff

03' Sears 6.0HP lawnmower, K&N intake and a fancy spark plug [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]