Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Archived Threads > Archive: Technical Info: 3rd Generation
Archive: Technical Info: 3rd Generation This forum has now been closed to replies and new posts, but can still be searched and read. Please post new threads in one of the new 3rd Gen technical Forums. Archive contains Technical discussions and questions relating to third generation (2003 - 2006) trucks.

Old 01-26-2006

Default Re: Looking at Dodge/Cummins.....Is tranny any good?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by livingez_123:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by 2003Ram:
The 48Re is a well built tranny that requires no modifications unless you start bombing. For reliability, my opinion is that it compares with the Allison in the Chevys. Of the big three, Ford has the biggest pos for a tranny out there, and the 6.0 engine is still junk. </div></div>The 48re doesn't even compare to the Allison and the the fords new torqueshift is copied from the allison design. I my book, Dodge doesn't know how to build a good trans and if you do any heavy towing ot towing on a regular basis get a 6spd.
</div></div>Well I guess its a draw then!!Because Ford and Chevy diesels engines can,t compare to the Cummins.I will take a good engine over a tranny any day.coobie
2004 Ram 2500,5.9 H.O.4X4 westin cps boards,astro cap,megs stainless exhaust tip.Almond pearl/silver.Billet grill.Factory seat covers.Wheel well liners,PIAA 80xt pro fogs on the manick grill guard,X monitor gauge.Fass 150.BD power pup.Afe 2 proguard 7,goerend brothers TQ&VB,bilstein 5100,s,Autometer fuel pressure ga.
Old 01-26-2006

[/QUOTE]The 48re doesn't even compare to the Allison and the the fords new torqueshift is copied from the allison design. I my book, Dodge doesn't know how to build a good trans and if you do any heavy towing ot towing on a regular basis get a 6spd.[/QUOTE]

I agree 10000%. I have driven all three '05s for over a month, and did buy a dodge in the end, but NOT because of the trans.

For all you guys that either diss the allison, or say the 48re is as good, have you ever owned one/towed/hauled with one? If so, you would not be saying that.

The 48re has a horrible converter, and lacks at least one gear to be even close to competitive.

If you bomb, yes, you need mods for any brand. But the thing is, unbombed with stock tires, the FIRST time I took a load out with the cummins I was regreting not getting a 6 speed. The 48re in my '05 could not hold a candle to the allison in the previous '04 Dmax I had....

Cummins might be good (we'll see, still have low miles), but the 48 and its converter so far would make me not buy a dodge again. With load, the converter does nothing but stall and heat up the trans. JUNK [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 01-26-2006

I think it was on TDR someone posted the percentages for tranny reliability and the 48R beat the Allison and the Ford by a couple of percentage points. When I get back home, I will try to find it.

Pete
04 Laramie 4x4, 48RE, 3.73, LSD, QC, SB, Multant Red, clearance lights, side SRS, liner, Frontier rear bumper, xfer & gas tank skid plates, Bilstein 5100s, 04.5 rubber charge air flap. 2 meter ham radio/CB radio, Nav One 3000. Vintage 29' Airstream.
Old 01-26-2006

I'm a trans tech in a Dodge dealer. 25 years experiance. Dodge transmissions suck big time.
Old 01-26-2006

I bet this thread gets interesting!
Old 01-26-2006

if the trans is so terrible...then why do they (dodge) bolt a 6,000$ motor to it??? They must have better engineers than that right?
Old 01-26-2006

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by anthem:
if the trans is so terrible...then why do they (dodge) bolt a 6,000$ motor to it??? They must have better engineers than that right? </div></div>They like to sell trucks with diesels, and that series trans is the biggest they have. The main problems with them are the converter clutch, internal pressure loss, and the governor electronics.
Old 01-26-2006

I bought a dodge knowing the trans is weak, but i wanted the cummins.... however, i didn't realize the converter is THIS bad.

Also, my truck was cheaper then the chevy counterpart I was gonna get...by about 3-4k...that should fix the trans.

If it was '06 when I bought the trucks, would have been the Dmax/6speed allison FOR SURE...but it was '05! [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif[/img]

Whatever you do though, DON'T buy that FORD Pooperjoke!!!
Old 01-26-2006

I have an 03 auto 214k on it as of today. I bought this used with 160 k on it. The tranny had never been touched by previos owner. I use it to haul livestock every mile since I bought it. Also a couple of loads of trailers out east. 25 to 30kgvw and no problems with tranny. I did have to replace a torque converter and flexplate due to three nuts being ripped off the torque converter. Yesterday I put in a B&D tow valve body. It should have another gear with 3.73s in your diff. Great with 4.10s if your hauling all the time. In 07 Rumor has it that they are going to a 5 peed auto.
07 Ram 3500 4dr chassis cab 4x4 drw 6.7 auto
06 honda rincon (camo)
04 honda rubicon (yellow)
03 Ski doo Rev 800X
01 Polaris SLT 1050
2001 Four Winns Horizon 180 limited 320 hp
Old 01-26-2006

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by petesDodge:
I think it was on TDR someone posted the percentages for tranny reliability and the 48R beat the Allison and the Ford by a couple of percentage points. When I get back home, I will try to find it.

Pete
</div></div>i would love to see that, please post it here if you can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by MikeTx:
I'm a trans tech in a Dodge dealer. 25 years experiance. Dodge transmissions suck big time. </div></div>what specific problems have you been seeing with the '04-current 48RE in our trucks?